MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to buy a new OWB holster for my shield 9mm, and I'm looking at the DeSantis Mini Scabbard and the Bianchi Model 57 Remedy. Anyone have experience or own either one? Just seeing people opinion for which one is a better holster. Thanks.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Both companies make fine holsters, but for me, the forward cant of the DeSantis feels more comfortable to draw. I wear my owb with the holster straddling my 4 o'clock belt loop.
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I own both. I used the Desantis Mini Scabbard for a couple of years to carry my Shields. For OWB carry, I currently use the Remedy 4 inch for my M&P 2.0 Full size and my M&P 2.0 Compact. I also use the Remedy made specifically for the Shield when I carry my Shield's OWB also. In my opinion, the Model 57 Remedy with its 2 belt loop slots holds the pistols in the holsters a little tighter and higher and seems to bring the but of the pistol in closer to the body for concealed carry. It keeps the holster where you put it. The Desantis Mini Scabbard tended to let the holster slide laterally on the belt. You can go wrong with either.

I still carry my IWB in the Comptac C-tac holster.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I haven't owned either of those, but I can speak for the Wright Leather Works "Predator". I have carried my Shield in this one for over 3 years and the fit and retention is still spot on. This holster is comfortable and holds the gun close to the body. I liked this holster so well thatI bought one for my J Frame https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/

S&W Shield 003cf3 by Jerry Jaynes, on Flickr

S&W 442 OWB by Jerry Jaynes, on Flickr

·
Registered
592 Posts
I get all my leather holsters from
El Paso saddlery.
Best ones Ive found. Had them make anreally nice shoulder rig for me for my shield 45 I use it when riding motorcycle.
https://epsaddlery.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
I haven't owned either of those, but I can speak for the Wright Leather Works "Predator". I have carried my Shield in this one for over 3 years and the fit and retention is still spot on. This holster is comfortable and holds the gun close to the body. I liked this holster so well thatI bought one for my J Frame https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/

S&W Shield 003cf3 by Jerry Jaynes, on Flickr

S&W 442 OWB by Jerry Jaynes, on Flickr
I don't know who copied who but the Wright holster looks much like the Azula holsters from a South Africa maker ;)

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Ditto to what RobzGunz said,

I wear my owb with the holster straddling my 4 o'clock belt loop.
but I wear mine straddling the 3:00 belt loop. Probably doesn't conceal as well, but I can put it on after my pants are on, and that's where I drew from when I was competing.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Jerry Jaynes, what kind of holster is that Shield in? It looks really nice. I might want one.

That is a "Predator" made by Wright Leather Works. I have carried my Shield in that one for over 3 years and the fit and retention is still spot on. It holds the gun close to the body. Excellent workmanship. https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/

·
Registered
8 Posts
I carry mine around 3:30-4:00. The holster has a 15 degree cant

Jaysq, I’m not trying to be nosy but I’m wondering how you dress when you carry? Do you wear a suit or sports coat to cover your weapon or maybe you just wear an untucked shirt? Does it print much so one could tell you are carrying. I go to church with a gentleman I shoot with. He carry’s to church and his gun prints enough to tell he’s armed. I’ve been carrying a little Sig 238 in my right pants pocket but I’d like to carry a larger caliber. Please don’t take my questions wrong. Just trying to get information.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Jaysq, I’m not trying to be nosy but I’m wondering how you dress when you carry? Do you wear a suit or sports coat to cover your weapon or maybe you just wear an untucked shirt? Does it print much so one could tell you are carrying. I go to church with a gentleman I shoot with. He carry’s to church and his gun prints enough to tell he’s armed. I’ve been carrying a little Sig 238 in my right pants pocket but I’d like to carry a larger caliber. Please don’t take my questions wrong. Just trying to get information.

No problem at all, I understand your concern. In the summer I wear a thin tee shirt tucked in and a button shirt left unbuttoned and un-tucked. In the winter, I cover my gun by wearing a fleece vest. It doesn't print if your vest fits properly. Now if you put your hands in your pocket and pull on the vest, it may print. I just avoid that. I do not worry about printing and I have never had anyone say anything to me. With the large phones people are carrying now, I don't see anyone even wondering about it.

The closer you carry to 3:00 the less printing. This holster, on a proper gun belt will hold the gun against your body. If you are wearing a jacket to church, can you leave it unbuttoned? Even if it fits tight, I can't see anyone spotting it.

If the jacket is very fitted and is a concern, a tailor could let out a little on the gun side. Hope this helps. Good luck

If everything else fails:
Mika Pocket Holster by Jerry Jaynes, on Flickr

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks so much for your help Jaysq. I really appreciate it.

Carrying to church wouldn’t be an issue. Where I go I’ll bet that there are 15 people armed. I’m right handed. Are you right or left Jaysq? For me to carry at 3:00 would be a cross draw. Carrying at 9:00 would be handy for me or an appendix carry. I ordered one of the holsters you showed. I had a Desantis and used it Sunday but the holster did not have a tight fit so I ordered the one you showed. Thanks for your help and patience.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Carrying to church wouldn’t be an issue. Where I go I’ll bet that there are 15 people armed. I’m right handed. Are you right or left Jaysq? For me to carry at 3:00 would be a cross draw. Carrying at 9:00 would be handy for me or an appendix carry. I ordered one of the holsters you showed. I had a Desantis and used it Sunday but the holster did not have a tight fit so I ordered the one you showed. Thanks for your help and patience.

I am right handed. I assume you ordered their Left Handed option????. If you didn't, you could always call them, they are easy to work with. Let me know what you think when it comes in. Well worth the wait. Make sure you have a good gun belt and It will stay right next to your body.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts