MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have gone over the ammo section of my manual a dozen times and can't find anything about +P ammo for anything but the S&W revolvers. ( It reads like a generic part of the manual to me ) Just curious if anyone else knows for sure if it is OK to shoot +P ammo out of the M&Ps?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Yes, it's ok to shoot +P in the M&Ps.

The only ammo that the manual specifically says not to use is +P+. (page 13)

·
Registered
54 Posts
jepn30 said:
[quote name='YukonGlocker']Yes, it's ok to shoot +P in the M&Ps.

The only ammo that the manual specifically says not to use is +P+. (page 13)

One thing the old USP can handle just fine.[/quote]

The M&P can probably handle it fine also, but no factory in it's right mind would approve that because +P+ means the charge EXCEEDS SAAMI pressure specs for +P. There is not a SAAMI spec for 45ACP +P+. How much it exceeds the specs is entirely in the hands of the ammo maker.

·
Registered
54 Posts
thedude said:
I though +P+ was sub-machine gun ammo?
welllll kinda.... In europe, 9mm SMG ammo has been historically loaded hotter. Open-bolt SMGs can handle the extra pressure more easily than a 9mm semi-auto handgun due to the fact that they counter the pressure with heavily weighted & sprung unlocked bolts travelling a much longer distance rather than the much lighter slides of a semiauto that require a locked breech to hold them closed until the pressure peak has passed.

However, the euros have never used the designations +P or +P+ for their ammo (at least until VERY recently) - they simply mark the ammo box "for submachine gun/machine pistol only". Plus, they have historically loaded very little 45acp ammo, much less any overpressure loads. I've never heard of ANY usage of +P/+P+ 45acp ammo in SMGs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts