MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my new M&P Shield 9mm last week, I asked the salesman I want some decent hollow point rounds for home protection. I'm used to purchasing Winchester Silvertip hollow points from 30 years ago for my Sig 228 (which is sold). So I asked the salesman if the Winchester Silvertips are available, he said they don't have any of that in stock (or don't carry it, don't remember). I asked him to recommend me some decent hollow point rounds for home protection. He brought out a few boxes of Hornady American Gunner ammo. Just today I was looking through the supplied manual, on page 11 there is a statement that +P ammo must not be used in Smith & Wesson firearms. I checked the side of the ammo box and sure enough it says +P on the packaging. Oh great, now what? Will my Shield blow up in my face if I use this +P ammo? What to do? See attached picture of the manual page and ammo box.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You might want to ask him if he has any Federal HST 9mm 147 Grain JHP, It's probably a buck a round in the stores, sold in 20 round boxes for around $20. Prior to ammo shortage Target Sports USA would run it on sale occasionally for around $25 for a box of 50. That’s when I would stock up.

It’s a proven, and very popular self defense and Law Enforcement ammo around. I have never had an issue in anything with it.

I’ve not shot any of that Hornaday “America Gunner”, but if its anything like “Critical Defense”, you should be good, that’s also pretty popular.

Any of the top brands that fire, will do the job if you do your part. It’s whether or not the ammo feeds good in your gun. A carry gun should never have a failure to feed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Probably good for a newShield anyway. Had a lot of “stove-pipe” jams with my new Shield until I put a few hundred rounds through it. That recoil spring is pretty strong. Mine is not the newest EZmodel.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
The American Gunner uses a Hornady XTP bullet, decent but not the best.
When you look at the tests where all these different bullets were fired into the same medium (4 layers of cloth in front of gel blocks) the Hornadys expanded reliably but only expanded to .45 to .49 caliber.
Penetration of the XTPs was 16 to 19 inches.

The lighter Speer Gold Dots expanded from .51 to .54 caliber, but the 147 grain Gold dots hardly expanded at all.
Gold Dot penetration was 16 to 18 inches. You'd think the heavier 147 grain Gold Dot that didn't expand would have a whole lot more penetration, but it didn't, just 16 inches.

Winchester Ranger -T are thought to be good SD bullets, but look at the results, some didn't expand at all.
Remington Golden Sabers did well with all the 9mm loads, but in some other calibers, some Golden Sabers don't expand at all.

Now look at the 9mm Federal HSTs, no matter the weight or starting velocity, all expanded from .60 to .71 caliber, and still had 17 to 19 inches of penetration. Not too shabby !
I know I'd rather have a .66 caliber HST bullet hitting than a .46 caliber Hornady XTP one, and they both have the same penetration, 18 inches average.

Note that in many cases, the +P version only had a 20 fps. advantage over the standard loading, and in some cases the standard had more expansion and penetration than the +P.
The HSTs are outstanding in any caliber , weight or starting velocity. Nothing else is as consistent, although the Gold Dots and Rangers come close.

If you are going to pay nearly a buck a round, might as well get the best. That being said, places like SG Ammo and Target Sports USA do seel 50 rounds boxes for $38 or so, you just have to keep checking and get an order in when they are in stock. Last Month I bought 5 boxes (250) rounds of 124 grain HSTs from SG Ammo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts