MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love this Shield 2.0. With Ameriglo sights being delivered soon I wanted to see how good the OEM iron could look. A mixture of 2 testors paints was used to get a bright red that would stay bright after curing.

It's been 4 days now and it has stayed bright so curing is over. I like the red/green visibility of the Ameriglo front sight and wasn’t able to use the white 3 dot well. I’m still installing the new ones, but nice improvement. Now it’s very easy to line up and probably would delay buying aftermarket if I hadn’t already.

Here’s a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Looks good. I have been thinking about painting the sights on my Shield and trying it awhile before spending money for aftermarket sights. I would be interested in seeing examples of painted sights by others on the forum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’ve done it with testors model paint on several 3dot sights as well as some older black sights to give them contrast. It works pretty well and the contrast helps my eyes

Reactions: One1

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks great ! I'm goona feel silly looking in the nail polish section, but I'll be stopping into a store tomorrow to make the purchase. I want to get some Triji HD XR's, or possibly some XS 8's, but this looks like it will be a fine hold over for me until I can make that switch. Darned holidays are eating my wallet right now lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One may get Testors paint at hobby/craft stores.

I painted the front sight on my M&P Bodyguard to see if it yields any improvement. Have yet had a chance to test the newly painted sight.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All red cures darker. Also the hi-viz paint brightens it up a ton. Comparing the red to the mix is night and day

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If one paints a white gloss base coat THEN applies the desired sight color it usually will be the brightest result (green, orange, red). That is most likely why the OP's lighter orange color mixed with the darker red yields a brighter hue. As an alternative to painting you can also shape a piece (round / rectangular) of reflective tape and apply clear Gorilla adhesive (not a brittle super glue that also fogs the clear coat).

Caution: Pseudo-science and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use testers paint for stock M&P front sights as well. On my wife's M2.0 5 inch 9mm I did the front sight in testers and it has held up great.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just painted my new M&P 45 ACP Sights and got a similar result. I’ll be putting XS Sights on it soon. I was going to do my M&P compact as well, but the sights are different as seen in the pics below. The dot is just painted on, not drilled and recessed.

The oem shield sight that was replaced with Ameriglo is seen beside the newly painted oem 45 ACP sight.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts