MP-Pistol Forum banner

Why didn't the darn thing shoot?

• The slide was out of battery.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The striker DID fall, but there was a light primer strike.

• The striker DID fall, but there was a defective primer.

• The striker did not cock on the previous cycle (why not???).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently shot my new M&P for the first time at a local range (I had shot a borrowed M&P on an earlier occasion, which is partly what impressed me enough to buy one).

Accuracy was good and feeding was not a problem, even with the bargain basement ammo I was shooting at the time. However, I did have one malfunction that I cannot explain to myself...

At some point in a string of fire, I pulled the trigger and, well, nothing. Not even a click, and not the normal trigger pull weight. The sear did not seem to engage. I resisted the urge to go through a full malfunction drill simply because I wanted to determine the cause of this problem. Mine is a version with the magazine safety disconnect, so, naturally the first thing I tried to do was tap the mag; it was fully seated. Pulled the trigger again, and again, nothing.

At this point I racked the slide, chambering a fresh round, and the pistol went on to fire that round and all subsequent ammo without a hitch. Unfortunately, the problem round bounced downrange somewhere where I was unable to retrieve it for inspection--I would like to have seen if there was a mark on the primer just in case I misjudged my trigger pull (and failed to hear the strike through my earmuffs). However, I really don't think that is the case.

The only possibility I can come up with, which had not occurred to me at the time I was firing (or failing to), and which came to me only during subsequent consideration, is that the round had not chambered fully (which I believe it had), and the slide was out of battery. However, I think I would have noticed this--if not when I tried to fire the pistol, then when I racked the slide to clear the malfunction.

Any thoughts, or similar experiences?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Assuming that the trigger was allowed to fully reset, sounds like a bad primer to me. Only way to know for sure is to have recovered the round for inspection.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Don't really know how to vote and of course it's difficult to diagnose without access to the gun, the round, etc. But my guess is that you got a light primer hit. Whether it was caused by the gun or the ammo, you'll never know. Don't let it bother you, but be vigilant so if it happens again you can assess it more.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not having retrieved the round. Unfortunately it went downrange, on a busy indoor range, and I was not able to inspect it. The thing that made it so peculiar to me was that, at the time, I could have sworn the trigger did not engage the sear at all. The pull just didn't feel right, until I racked the slide again. But the more I think of it, the more trouble I have explaining how that could have happened.

I'm going to try not to let this bother me. I put another 100 rounds through the gun today, with no problems. And I'll definitely remain vigilant for future malfunctions (malfunctions in my pistols always get my full attention).

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Two other possibilities I can think of:

1 -- Are you certain it was a live round that ejected? Possibly the previous round fired but didn't have enough energy to work the slide; you'd get no reset, the trigger would just be mush.

2 -- Are you certain you didn't pull the trigger during the fast string and get a misfire? Since the M&P lacks restrike ability, pulling the trigger subsequently wouldn't set off the round in the chamber.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I'm voting not into battery, IE no trigger pull, no striker reset. It it was bargan basement, you prolly got a pc of brass that wasn't in spec.

This is the easiest malf to overlook, cause the pistol looks normal

Been there done that.

If it was a light primer striker, you would have heard the dreaded click.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jester said:
I'm voting not into battery, IE no trigger pull, no striker reset. It it was bargan basement, you prolly got a pc of brass that wasn't in spec.

This is the easiest malf to overlook, cause the pistol looks normal

Been there done that.

If it was a light primer striker, you would have heard the dreaded click.

After much (mostly useless without the round in question available for examination) reflection, I am with you, Jester. If the slide was slightly out of battery, I might not have notice it visually, but I would have had almost exactly the symptoms I remember.

And it was bargain basement ammo. Thanks for the input, everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts