MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things I do to test striker/firing pin function is to put an eraser tipped pencil in a vertical gun and pull the trigger to see what the pencil does. My 1911s shoot the pencil clear, similar with GLOCK, similar with XD, but my full size M&P40 - well - it just kinda shakes and goes upward less than half an inch from the breechface. The gun shoots great and I have robust primer strikes. Is this within the normal range of experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
910 Posts
All guns are different. If it goes bang - no worries.

Click + bang = thud. <-- All you need to worry about.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I discussed this a while ago.

The flaw is not the gun, it's the test. I found similar results, but I was not having ANY light strike problems. I had done the test for grins, and had repeated it to provide a comparison to people's comments here. My original pencil would only move up about an inch and a half. Then I lost my pencil. SO I got a brand new one from the kitchen drawer. That one didn't move at all, but my 1911 and my baby eagle (which is definitely one of my lighter striking pistols) would launch it a couple feet in the air. THen I turned my new unshaprened pencil over. THe other guns launced it about the same, but the M&P would basically smash it into the ceiling.

The M&P striker was just impaling the eraser, and the original pencil had a harder eraser from age and use, so traveled farther when struck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts