MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some pepper spray for my girlfriend to carry around with her in her purse. There has been a lot of crime on her campus lately and I would like her to be better prepared if something were to come up, so what is the best spray in a compact size? thanks for the help

Jim

·
Registered
564 Posts
Jim63 said:
I would like to get some pepper spray for my girlfriend to carry around with her in her purse. There has been a lot of crime on her campus lately and I would like her to be better prepared if something were to come up, so what is the best spray in a compact size? thanks for the help

Jim

I have Wildfire, which is 15% OC, I think. It's not very compact, though. Being too compact may be a bad idea because I know some women who like to keep their pepper spray in the purse. They may not have time to access it if they need it in a hurry.

I didn't realize the different types and styles that they sell.

Have you seen this website?

http://www.defendingwomen.com/

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've also heard fox labs was quite good. I have been sprayed with First Defense several times in order to get certified to carry it (base security). Be forewarned OC doesn't affect everyone. It also only buys you time. It took me about 25 seconds to blink it out and start beating on the Red Man aggressor. It hurt enough that I wanted BLOOD! Make sure your girlfriend knows to use it and run some where safe, there is no reason to stick around.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
We have Fox labs as well.

Comp-tac used to make a nifty little clip called the Miska Clip for the smallest Fox Labs cannister. I don't know if they still do as I couldn't find it on their website.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am a firm believer that no one should carry pepper spray, unless they have been sprayed with it themself. They should also have to pass some type of drill; wheather that be fighting off an attacker(red man) or some type of weapon retention drill.

when i was in the academy, i remember too many of us thought that our pepper spray was some type of "magic in a bottle" that just dissolves and nutralizes all situations. We learned a big lesson in our practical excersizes that the red man just wipes it off and keeps coming at you just more pissed off.

Also, I have never pepper sprayed anyone and not gotten atleast a small amount of "blow-back." Blow back is a small amount of either splatter from your target, or just some of the vapors that come back at you.

Pepper spray will at minimim buy some type, and possibly even out the fight slightly. If you want her to carry pepper spray, she also needs some type of defensive tactics. Even if you just teach her some simple knee strikes, and palm strikes. Also, teach her to vocalize loudly and forcefully "GET BACK!!!!!" as she strikes. Its one of her best bets.

Plus getting pepper sprayed is an event you will never forget. Go buy two cans of it, and spray eachother so you know what happens when you get sprayed. Its not that bad, it only lasts about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been teaching her some striking and defensive measures, but I dont think she is going to want to get sprayed herself...and thanks cal for the website!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Word to the wise: it's ten times more effective to have someone else teach your wife/gf than do it yourself. That's true for shooting, striking, driving, skiing, or just about anything else imaginable.

While I appreciate the benefit of getting sprayed by OC, I can't say I think it's a requirement. However, being in the vicinity of a cloud is a worthwhile experience ... most people have no idea what side contamination feels like, and it can induce panic under stress if you don't know what you're getting into. However, sprayed or not, someone who expect to use OC as a defensive tool needs to understand the proper way to use it and the limitations. It's not a magic bullet. On the other hand, most girls aren't going to be attacked by determined combatants ... they're being attacked by someone who thrives by preying on the weak. Surprise, jack a** ...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I gave my wife an ASP Key Defender, which I think is pretty convenient. BUT I also bought a test insert so she knew how to use it, not quite like getting sprayed herself (Which is hell I know) but it does the trick I think.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is a common misconception that the % of pepper spray is the true measure of it's

effectiveness. Pepper spray strength is measured by SHU's, or Scoville Heat Units. The

higher the number, the more "powerful" the spray is supposed to be. Fox is definitely a

"hot" brand.

I can say from experience that pepper spray is not always effective. It is a tool, and not all

tools are 100% effective. My personal experience is that it is about 70% effective. It is most

definitely better than a scowl and a mean word.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jim 63,

I just bought my wife new OC spray and decided to go with Kimber Lifeact, as it is a "charged" propellent. This allows two shots, from any angle or position. From experience OC is not the golden savior, but its a darn site better than CS, CN, Mace or the earliest "tear gas" products. Although I personally have never had a problem, I have heard complains that several of the aerosol type dispersion sprays, don't work well when held upside down or in anything other than an upright angle. Limitation for the Life act is two shots, plus is that its a charged spray.

In any case, most definitely have your wife take a course or receive training from a person in the correct employment of this defense tool, and also... make her part of the decision what to buy as she'll be the one carrying it.

One more thing... if she is uncomfortable with any situation, the pepper spray belongs in her hand and not in her purse!!!!! If her purse is anything like my wife's, she'll never have the time to find it, let along deploy it.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Me and my girlfriend also use Fox Labs for our 2nd line of defense. I had to use it once to break-up three dogs that formed a pack and was getting a bit too aggressive. Two of the dogs were trying to use the grass to get it out of their eyes.

Dennis

·
Registered
65 Posts
I aggree that she probably does not need to get a full shot of OC to carry it but it would be benificial to get a spare or 2 to practice with. Go somewhere AWAY from people and houses and practice on a tree trunk. Try it while moving both sideways and backing up. Learn how hard it is to get good hits from a distance.

After you are done practicing, walk close enough to the target so you can smell the OC. You will get an idea of how OC affects you without all the pain. Coughing, runny nose, eye watering, etc. Understand that in a close encounter with a bad guy with you spraying him, you probably will get the above symptems or worse. By knowing this beforehand, you and she will be able to fight through it.

Don't do this in your back yard. With no wind, a 4 oz can of OC drifts and diffuses and can come into the house. Ask me how I know? My poor dog didn't know what was wrong. We had to go for a ride in the truck for an hour before it dissipated.

Gringop

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awesome guys thanks for the responses lots of good info in here, you all always have some great info thanks again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts