MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a performance center .380 EZ today.

Are the enhancements really worth the extra dollars, or are these just pimped out versions of the models that some buy for bragging rights?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I looked at a performance center .380 EZ today.

Are the enhancements really worth the extra dollars, or are these just pimped out versions of the models that some buy for bragging rights?

I think so. If nothing else just for the sights. Trigger is a little better too. Barrel is ported but that is pretty much meaningless in these guns.

That said, my dad got his before there was a PC version and it is a great little gun. Accurate, no issues.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have experience with one M&P 9mm PC CORE gun (model #10098?) that I wanted to use out of the box for competition, except for adding a red dot and maybe trigger work.

I was lucky to get 5" groups at 15 yards. I thought it was my ammo, but factory ammo was the same and some was worse. I sent it back to S&W and they changed the barrel for little to no change. They were guessing so I never sent it back to them for further guesswork. They were clueless.

So I put an aftermarket drop in barrel into it and saw no change. Then read a bit about Apex barrels and dwell time. I installed one of their owner installed barrels and tightened the groups to a few inches at 25 yards, that was quite acceptable. But basically I had to rebuild the gun when everything was said and done so that I had a handgun that was competition ready despite the advertised gun being billed as having what was needed for competition. Cost? Basically the cost of the gun again by the time I was done with it.

I think PC guns are built not with better parts but parts from different bins that say "Performance Center" on them. I still have that M&P and won't sell it because I'll never get out of it what I have into it. Plus it works fine now. But will I ever buy another PC gun? No. In fact I've sworn off S&W for comp' handguns and have gone to Walther. I have a Walther in the safe right now all set up for competition and the only reason I'm not using it is because I'm concentrating on PCC. The original M&P I discussed? It's my home SD gun. It's certainly reliable enough and always was; the issue with it was never reliability. It also wears a threaded barrel today and they are verboten (unless in a factory model) for competition. So the M&P has been retired from competition.

I did buy a M&P 9c for EDC and have no issues with it. It's also not a PC gun. I saw no reason to ever buy another PC gun if they aren't made better or tested before leaving the factory. Why spend more $ for imprinting on the slide?

Reactions: lhawkins

·
Registered
292 Posts
The first Shield I bought was a PC .40. It kind of spoiled me, as it does have a nice trigger, and the porting does help a bit, at least in .40 caliber.
The fiber optics sights are an improvement over the painted 3 dot ones, but not as nice as the Tritium/fiber optic ones it now has.

I haven't shot ported and unported .45's side by side, but have shot both ported and unported Shields in 9mm and .40.
Both a friend and I couldn't tell the porting made much difference in the 9mm pistols, but it does seem to have some benefit in .40 pistols.
I doubt the porting is going to be a benefit on a .380 EZ.

My FS .40 was like BrianK's, 5 inches was about the best it would do at 25 yards.
I could always do better with the PC Shield .40, and despite being a much smaller pistol, was more comfortable to shoot than the FS.

But now that I have another .45 Shield, I don't think the PC trigger is that great anymore. The trigger on the .45 Shield is so good, it's way better than the PC and better than my FS 9mm that has Apex parts in it.

So I would say skip the PC version of the .380 EZ, and if the trigger and sights bug you after you've put a few hundred rounds through it, just upgrade those parts down the road.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the 1.0 pc 9L 5inch m&p and I gotta say mine was pretty dam accurate out of the box. It can do tight groups at 25 yards although I can’t see clearly that far to shoot as tight as the gun can give me. The trigger was not bad either although I put the apex FSS in and it cleaned it up much more to my liking. That being said my stock 2.0 4 inch shoots almost as good.
For the 380 ez I would say the pc version is worth it for about 140 more you get a nicer flat faced trigger and fiber optic sights and that worth that amount easy. The ported barrel is not really necessary but at least it’s in front of the sights instead of on either side making the white dot black after 100 rounds

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have several M&P’s, and when I wanted a target gun, I bought a Performance Center C.O.R.E. It had the worst trigger I ever saw on handgun. It went back to S&W twice, and they said it was okay. It was a real POS, that I had to put an Apex trigger in before I could even use it. I wasted the extra money I spent on Performance Center, and still had to deal with the drama of having a CS rep that went out of his way to screw me over, and the cost of a new trigger.

I think Marketing is playing fast and loose with the Performance Center name. Heck, if you look at their website almost everything is PC. Save your money and do the aftermarket work yourself. That way you will know it was actually done.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did the same as you buying a core pc gun and changing the trigger. The stock pc trigger wasn’t as bad as your one but it is tons better with the apex. Wish the pc would just come with that option instead of a sear that I swapped anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay so new to the site and need some input. I have the M&P 9L. I won the weapon in an online contest and put about 100 maybe 150 rounds through it. I was shooting reloads. I know probably shouldn't do that, however I have a Taurus PT111 G2 as my CCW that I have put 300 rounds of reloads though with no problem. Now heres my issue with my M&P, I was out shooting the reloads and had a round explode in the chamber right where the rim is, thinking this may have been due to a "hot" load I loaded a mag with some steel cased winchester 115gr that was given to me and noticed a few of the casing were mushroomed out along one side. I've taken the gun apart to check for damages and the only thing I've noticed was that the chamber seems to not be a perfect circle. Is there anything I can to to try and smooth this out or would a gunsmith be able to do anything? I know that S&W won't do anything about a warranty due to shooting reloads, but what are my other options? And how bad did I mess up?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yo @RoosterCogburne, welcome to the site. And congrats on winning the pistol. Reading or hearing someone telling about similar wins is as close as I ever come to such luck.

The technical nature of your question is above my paygrade. However, there are specific forums for S&W gunsmithing discussions and for M&P technical questions. My thought is that someone there will be able to answer your questions.

Maybe a moderator can move it there? Or, if you prefer, you can repost in one of those sections.

Best of luck with the fix.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Okay so new to the site and need some input. I have the M&P 9L. I won the weapon in an online contest and put about 100 maybe 150 rounds through it. I was shooting reloads. I know probably shouldn't do that, however I have a Taurus PT111 G2 as my CCW that I have put 300 rounds of reloads though with no problem. Now heres my issue with my M&P, I was out shooting the reloads and had a round explode in the chamber right where the rim is, thinking this may have been due to a "hot" load I loaded a mag with some steel cased winchester 115gr that was given to me and noticed a few of the casing were mushroomed out along one side. I've taken the gun apart to check for damages and the only thing I've noticed was that the chamber seems to not be a perfect circle. Is there anything I can to to try and smooth this out or would a gunsmith be able to do anything? I know that S&W won't do anything about a warranty due to shooting reloads, but what are my other options? And how bad did I mess up?
Buy a new barrel.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Rooster, nothing wrong with shooting reloads provided they are good reloads.
It doesn't sound like what you were shooting would fall into the "good reload" category.

As Floyd said a new barrel will put you back in business, provided there is no other damage. A factory barrel would be cheaper, maybe $70-$80 if you can find one for sale.
Try Midwest Gun Works or Speed Shooter Specialties.
It might be easier though, to obtain an aftermarket barrel ( $140-$150) and accuracy out of the aftermarket one will be better.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Gun manufacturers don’t warranty guns shooting reloads for the very situation you have. Reloading is a precision process just like Machining. Some people are good at it; some don’t have what it takes. It not a question of shooting reloads, it’s a question of who reloaded them. Obviously you got some ammo from a reloader that didn’t know what he was doing.

You might buy a new barrel and be okay. Although, a charge powerful enough to egg shape a cylinder, probably did some other damage. I’d take a close look at the breech face. You might want to take it to a local gunsmith and have him check it out.

A couple of people on here were raving about the Apex barrels. Might be worth checking out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts