MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With ammo being in short supply, and not wanting to deplete my stock of Federal Syntech too much, I've been buying whatever local stores offer these days, 50-100 rounds at a time. Mind you, my M&P 2.0 Compact has never had a single issue with any ammo before, and I have shot probably 2,000 or so rounds through it. Just bought a new EDC (P365 XL) and picked up some Winchester range FMJ 9mm 100 round box at the same time. Took both guns to the range, and both had multiple issues. As soon as I switched to Syntech, not a single problem.

I just started shooting a little over a year ago, and haven't had any experience with bad ammo before. I've shot Blazer, American Eagle, Federal Syntech and Fiocchi FMJs as well as some Hornady hollow points, including +P stuff, before trying the Winchester. Is it normal to find a box that just doesn't work right, or is Winchester simply not a good ammo? Just trying to understand, not having crappy experience like this before...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you talking about Winchester white box? I have shot gobs of that stuff in 45,40 and 9mm.In the thousands of rounds easily.

Get a couple here and there that made it through quality control but by and large it is reliable range ammo.

Try this .. if you have a caliper measure the OAL of the syntech and the WWB and see if its different. I have never shot the syntech so its hard for me to speak to that ammo but I found my M&P 40C is a little sensitive to oal and ogive. Tighter chamber will give you a scootch more accuracy but at the cost of flat out reliability. My Sig p series guns will eat anything I can squeeze in the chamber... not so much my M&P

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about Winchester white box? I have shot gobs of that stuff in 45,40 and 9mm.In the thousands of rounds easily.

Get a couple here and there that made it through quality control but by and large it is reliable range ammo.

Try this .. if you have a caliper measure the OAL of the syntech and the WWB and see if its different. I have never shot the syntech so its hard for me to speak to that ammo but I found my M&P 40C is a little sensitive to oal and ogive. Tighter chamber will give you a scootch more accuracy but at the cost of flat out reliability. My Sig p series guns will eat anything I can squeeze in the chamber... not so much my M&P
No, it was a small, cheap print quality box, all 100 rounds laid out with a 25 layer just laying there on its' side, separated by thin cardboard pieces stacked 4 high. Never seen a box like this, long and thin. Wish I had kept it, but I just threw it out at the range.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’ve shot several boxes of Winchester white box through my M&P M9 but have never had a problem with it. Frankly, my M&P hasn’t met a round it didn’t like. However, their 22LR lead ammo has had a few FTF with my Glock 44.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That ammo "should be" good to go.when walmart still offered ammunition that is what they generally had on the shelf so when running to the range it's what I bought. Maybe close to 15 years worth before I started reloading. Very odd.

I would still throw a caliper on it. If it's off they may replace the box for you

·
Registered
488 Posts
Never had a reliability issue with Winchester ammo, but it is both dirtier and less accurate than the Federal ammo I sometimes buy/shoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts