MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it. My FIRST S&W! Hard to believe it's my first Smithy, but it is. I was pretty certain I wanted one with the external safety, but I caught the 45 on sale at Fin, Feather & Fur and they did not have the safety. Hmmm. My research and calling about 7 dealers across the country over the last week I deal with and found on this Forum had one here and there, but there was a $80 difference compared to the FF&F sale. Hmmm. I didn't think the external safety was THAT important. ;-) Especially after reading some of the responses here in my topic question on this subject.

My biggest concern was putting it "on safe" at IDPA matches and at the range. I think this is more a paradigm from being a gun owner for 30+ years before they had a trigger safety. Look at all the Glocks and other striker-fired pistols at matches. If a safety was a major requirement, they wouldn't be there, right?

It's the black version and looks VERY nice. Very uniform finish, the frame is great and the feel in my hand is so natural. I broke it down and the internal machining is beautiful. Maybe I shouldn't have been, but was surprised to see such nice internal machining and finish.

I can't wait to shoot it! I will likely get the trigger worked, but want to put a couple hundred rounds down the bore to see how it breaks in before I send it off. Again, my reading here tells me that it will get smoother and lighter after a break-in period. Frankly, I am very pleased wtih how smooth and creep-free it is out of the box. I got home late last night but will put the Lyman trigger pull gauge on it to see where it is as recieved.

I am planning a range trip this weekend.
It will be interesting to see how it handles my handloads.

I think we're all here very familiar with these, but is it a requirement to post pictures of your new goodies?? :wink: Let me know and I will be happy to do so!

BTW - My oldest son got an M&P in 40 S&W at the same time!
ANOTHER Beretta guy corrupted. Pietro forgive us!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Congrats, Dino!

I assure you that you will love this .45, and you wont care that you didnt find the ex. safety model.

I have this and the .40 your son got, and I never want to shoot anything other than these two guns again.

You both made wise choices...

Have fun at the range!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I too bought the 45 without the safety. I could have got either but the safety just did not have a positive enough enguagement for my liking. Mine gets its breakin tomorrow.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Fin has some great deals every month, and it's the place I pick up most of my primers and powder. Dont worry about the thumb-safety and IDPA. The rules call for a cold-range except the shooter, so you really shouldn't have any ammo in the gun when not waiting for the buzzer, but then again, everyone runs their ranges differently.

Where about in Ohio are you from? Recently it seems we've been picking up a lot of NE Ohio shooters, mainly due to Fin's sales. Maybe we'll have to arrange a NE Ohio M&P range day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FieroCDSP said:
Where about in Ohio are you from? Recently it seems we've been picking up a lot of NE Ohio shooters, mainly due to Fin's sales. Maybe we'll have to arrange a NE Ohio M&P range day.

I am in a southern suburb of Cleveland. I do my indoor shooting at Stonewall in Broadview Heights where I am a member.

An M&P Range Day would be a great thing once the weather breaks!
Would it be considered "poor taste" if I brought a couple Berettas along?

What would be a BETTER thing . . . is some dad-burn IDPA matches nearby! By nearby I mean within a two-hour drive, each way even! 8)

I qualified late June of this year at GTA (around Canton) and due to health problems, including one scheduled and one unscheduled "fix the first one" surgery (that didn't) was unable to do any shooting since the end of July. I was out from work for two months, just returned to work a week ago Wednesday and I THINK I'll be able to get to the range to shoot tomorrow pending a doc visit in the morning. :? I can't remember the last time I went over two months without popping a couple rounds downrange. Totally killed my IHMSA season as well. Sure has saved me a lot in bullets, powder & primers though! Gasoline too; couldn't drive for two months either.

I'll be damn pissed if what the doc does to me tomorrow grounds me again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts