MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hear everyone's thought on the 9mm, 40 cal, and 45 ACP carbine style guns.

What do you like about them, what do you hate about them?

I am considering getting one for SHTF and plinking.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 9mm AR Olympic arms and i really like it very reliable and accurate. Cheap mags using sten mags and a mag block. I almost sold it a few weeks ago but i just could not let it go. Get one you wont be disappointed.

Adam

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Morgan, I wish I had that problem. I also wish they made a carbine that accepted M&P mags since that is the only semi- auto pistol I have. I actually thought about the getting the Kel-Tec (love the folding stock) with Glock mags. Then keep an eye out for a good deal on a Glock, the one gun I said I wouldn't own, for one day when I did have a little extra money. I thought that would be a good simple SHTF setup, with easy to find ammo, durability, light weight, and effective to 100 yards on most creatures. Oh, and of course the Mossberg 500 and my Pocho Villa shotshell sling. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I bought 45 more 12 ga rounds today (25 #4 shot and 20 slugs)! If only there was a good place around here to shoot the dang thing.

BTW, I have only shot the Camp 9 which was very fun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just get a submachinegun.
I think that's one of the biggest reasons for the widespread lack of interest in pistol-caliber carbines, honestly. Those that would use pistol cartridges in a shoulder fired weapon are police units... Who have automatic weapons to make them more effective. I honestly believe that in a SHTF situation, your pistol is to fight back to your gun with. Not to fight back to your bigger pistol with. Now, I wouldn't mind owning a carbine myself but I would end up using it for plinking or pest control, really. Kel-Tec seems really nice either way, just wish there was a .357 Magnum version. Though, on that note, you can get a real lever action carbine in .357 I believe.
- Colt

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can and I'm thinking about getting another 357mag (ammo is too expensive and I love my semi-autos) but I guess I should have said that I have a .223 already. I've heard that a 16" bbl 9mm produces 357mag like energies... That's not to say the 357 16" won't do any better but I refuse to believe that a 9mm carbine won't stop a threat within 100 yards. That's much further than I plan on defending myself anyway. I live in the woods, not the city or suburbs. So why does everyone consider them a range toy? Did I not get the memo?

·
Registered
312 Posts
My pistol calibre carbine is a PS90. It May or May Not be equivelent to a hot .22 Magnum, that's debatable, but I think it has its uses in the proper performance envelope.

Some years ago, I had a Calico 9mm carbine with 50 and 100rd helical magazines. I saw one recently at a gun store and the owner said Calico was back in business. (That would be exceedingly odd....and just in time for the next round of AWB)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been wondering about the PS90 as well, how hard is it to find ammo for? They are really only as hot as a 22mag????

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah and the storm is way expensive too. The Kel-tec is cheaper and folds for backpack carry. I would rather get a kel-tec/G19 combo. I've been told you can order the Kel-tec with 3 different mag choices. Glock,Sig, and something else I think. Seems a lot cheaper to me. I'll just talk Kel-Tec into making a carbine that uses M&P magazines.
Wait, I'll talk S&W into making a carbine that uses M&P mags. Yeah. That will be super easy.

I've heard good things about the Storm but many say it's not really worth the price tag. I've never shot one so I can't say either way. I know that I don't ever plan to have a beretta pistol (not bashing in any way). Many love them but I have a lot of other things first on the list.

·
Registered
312 Posts
johndoe1027 said:
I've been wondering about the PS90 as well, how hard is it to find ammo for? They are really only as hot as a 22mag????

http://fivesevenforum.500mag.com/forums/

Ammo IS a bit hard to come by, but generally wherever you can find a FiveSeven or PS90 you can find the ammo. Unfortunately, due to the small number being manufactured it's a bit expensive +/- $20 per box of 50

SS196 is

40grains

1800+ FPS (Plus since the PS90 has a longer barrel than the p90)

290 Ft/lbs+

effective to 150m

SS197

40grains

1950+ FPS

340 ft/lbs

effective to 150 m

I don't have stats for 9mm or .40 handy but they Will outshine a 5.7mm. How much that matters at what range is up to personal discretion.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
johndoe1027 said:
Yeah and the storm is way expensive too. The Kel-tec is cheaper and folds for backpack carry. I would rather get a kel-tec/G19 combo. I've been told you can order the Kel-tec with 3 different mag choices. Glock,Sig, and something else I think. Seems a lot cheaper to me. I'll just talk Kel-Tec into making a carbine that uses M&P magazines.
Wait, I'll talk S&W into making a carbine that uses M&P mags. Yeah. That will be super easy.

I tried that already, didn't work real well...

I've heard good things about the Storm but many say it's not really worth the price tag. I've never shot one so I can't say either way. I know that I don't ever plan to have a beretta pistol (not bashing in any way). Many love them but I have a lot of other things first on the list.

The MSRP is $599, the M&P's MSRP is $624, so think about it. I am sure you will be able to pick one up soon for a good to average price.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
65 Posts
One issue withe the Keltec is the ergonomics. It's hard to get a good cheek weld on the stock. The sites are pretty crappy, too.

Pistol caliber carbines are fun for plinking and coyote guns. The triggers are usualy not very good and not easy to work on. They don't have anywhere near the power of a real rifle cartridge.

All the powder on most pistol cartridges is burned in the first 10" of barrel so you don't get a significant increase in velocity with a carbine.

For the same money you can get a SKS that will work out to 100 yards and beyond.

There are some guy that use Marlins and Rugers in our carbine matches. They run OK.

The High Powers and Keltecs seem to be pretty much junk. The Marlins and Rugers are better made but pricier. My Ruger 44 mag cabine is great but it has a tube mag, not a detachable one.

I would say if you want a fun plinker that shoots cheap ammo, go for it. Just don't expect it to perform as well as a real rifle.

Gringop

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The MSRP is $599, the M&P's MSRP is $624, so think about it. I am sure you will be able to pick one up soon for a good to average price.
A quick gunbroker search looks like 600 all day. I can get a hi point for 189.... A Marlin for 300 if I look a little. I just don't see what the hub-bub is about with the storm.

The High Powers and Keltecs seem to be pretty much junk.

I hadn't heard that yet. In fact, I've heard lots of good things about the hi points, and only good things about the Kel-Tec. I haven't heard all that much feedback about the Kel-Tec though.

I would say if you want a fun plinker that shoots cheap ammo, go for it. Just don't expect it to perform as well as a real rifle.
That what the .223 is for. :twisted: I'm just kicking around the idea. Like I said, a weapon that is good to 900 meters is no good to me. It's like a car that will do 220 mph. I thought the carbine might be a good medium range weapon, Pistol for 0-15 yards, carbine for 15-75 yards, and the AR for 75-150. The AR could easily take the medium range as well though so I might just be looking for an excuse to buy another gun. That is something I definately don't need. I have plenty of those already.

Thanks a million for your feedback guys.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
i would consider a hi point 9mm carbine, but not the pistols (ugly as sin, and not really reliable) for a cheap plinker, i think you cant beat the price of the hi point. its just a u either love them or hate them debate. on their website they received a consumer best buy. a local dealer claims to have put well over 1500+ rounds through his hi point carbine with no hiccups. it would be a cheap risk to take for some plinking fun

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a hi-point 9mm carbine (model 995) and it always comes to the range with me. The little thing never misses a beat and is very accurate out to 50 yards. It WILL hit your target at 100 yards but I have not been able to get a consistant grouping (my brother can). For $150 you cannot beat the reliability, size, and no questions asked whatever owner you are warranty--not that you will likely need it.

ATI has a stock that resembles the Beretta CX4 storm for those of you who cannot get over the ugliness factor of the carbine. Magazines are fairly cheap and easy to find, plus there are a couple of neat add-on accessories you can get.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts