MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I openly carry my M&P 40 in vastly differing temperatures all day. Right now it is very cold out and I have questions about how some of the internal parts will handle the constant below freezing temperatures.

Primarily I am concerned about the springs that are part of the trigger assembly and striker assembly.

As much as I hate constantly pulling a round out of the pipe I do remove my slide and inspect the pistol everyday for such defects.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
191 Posts
You should not have any problems with it I got the MP9 and the MP 40c and I carry the 40 and leace the 9 in my truck all day at work in the cold weather and the hot and have not had anything to go wrong with it. Man just enjoy it and do not worry if something ever goes wrong which i dought Smith and Wesson will take care of you.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Cold weather shouldn't affect anything, as long as we're not talking -40 temps. The time you will may have difficulty is when you transit from the cold weather outside to temperate climate inside, you may develop condensation on metal parts.

A light dusting of CLP or (my fave, Eezox) will keep things happy.

*in the latest comparison that I've seen Eezox was a pretty clear winner in terms of preventing oxidation. ymmv and all that.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Not exactly a problem with factory carry ammo, but with reloads, be careful what powders you're using. I shot some loads last month in low 20's that felt really slow, even though I've never had trouble with them before in warmer temps. Many powders are immune or only slightly vary their burn-rates with 20degree shifts in cold. If you get into sub-zeros for extended time, there aren't many powders that will function perfectly in that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you are concerned that the metal parts of your pistol will become more brittle or otherwise fail due to the cold, don't be. It will need to get VERY cold for that to happen. Like dark side of the moon cold. So cold, that you will freeze to death in moments, and the gun won't be much good to you anyway.

The main problem for firearms in extremely cold climates is with lubrication. Some oils will congeal and lose their lubricity in very cold climates. This might not be as much of a problem for the M&P as with tighter guns, since the M&P has loose enough tolerances that it functions reasonably reliably, for a few shots anyway, even with no lube. And after the first few shots, the gun warms itself up.

Check the manufacturer's recommended temperature range on your lube of choice for more specific info.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My firearms instructor advised me to get some stuff called Gun Butter. It works in all climates and won't get sludgy from cold or thin with heat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have only have my gun freeze up one me once and it was -20F and snowing very hard. Don't ask why I was out hunting in that. The critters weren't stupid enough to be out in it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
one day it was -10 & snowing shot 100plus round wwb loaded the mags with snow in them tapped the loose snow out and continued shooting the m&p 40 performed way better than i did. trigger control and manual dexterity go to garbage at those temps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gun oil

Try Gun Butter. Look at gun butter web site and check the temp range. This oil was developed by aerospace engineers. It's the best I've ever used

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine runs great at -4F/-20C. It's been about that temp the last few times I've been out. Fed Winchester 147gr FMJ+Softpoint and American Eagle 115gr FMJ with no probs. 200+ rounds in these temperatures.

I think I'll stay home if it's any colder than that. Not too worried about the gun handling cold weather. :wink:

Oh and to lube I use Hoppe's Elite... yes a light oil.

[edit] Don't necessarily take my advice, newbie here. :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts