MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finally able to get out to the range and try out my new M&P 9, this was my first handgun. I put 400 rounds through it without a hitch, no dropped mags etc. It was quite accurate as well. After a good day of shooting I went home and started cleaning. This is when I noticed the problem. All around the 'striker hole' ( sorry, like I said I'm new) was deep pitting. A little background on the ammo fired, 250 rounds-factory (124 gr fmj Am. Eagle) and 150-rounds reloads ( 125 gr. lead, 4.4 gr. bullseye powder, cci primers) Any ideas on what would cause this? By the way, great site.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Are you sure it was pitting?? The hole on the breech face is not round, but tear-dropped shaped. If that's what you are referring to, it's normal. Any chance you can post a photo of the problem??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I`m pretty sure it`s pitting. In the pictures it shows it pretty clear but I can`t add pics to my posts yet.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
josh said:
Looks like a damn hammer and chisel was taken to it - not pitting. Damn.

+1, e-mail S&W and send 'em those pics...

that... is...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Looks pretty bad...think you should call S&W Tuesday morning (Holiday Monday) and get them to send you a shipping label. Did you happen to save any fired cartridges?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the brass but unfortunately I put them through the tumbler so if there was any fouling around the primer from gas leakage it is now gone. The primers do however look normal, no signs of over pressure.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just checked my copy of Alliant's 2004 Reloader's Guide, and they show a max load of of 4.9 grains of Bullseye with a 125 grain lead bullet, so you're okay there. Bummer about the pitting!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could improperly loaded reloads have somehow caused this? Never seen such a thing before on any gun.

It's possible, but the cases didn't show any signs of improper loading. There was no ftf's, all the rounds ejected properly, no primers pushed out of pocket, no bulging or splitting of cases. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I would think that it would take a hell of alot of rounds, even over pressure rounds, to cause this kind of damage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I do not have much experience with semi's so I probably should keep my big mouth shut. I am one of those people who always fails the depth perception tests. Are you sure that the areas in question are pitted instead of a build-up of deposit?

I have had revolvers shave lead off when the cylinder timing is off and leave lead deposits. I would think that a semi could drive those pieces of lead into the breech face of the striker. Possibly take a dental pick and see if any of the deposit will "lift" off???? Gee, life sure sucks at times......good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do not have much experience with semi's so I probably should keep my big mouth shut. I am one of those people who always fails the depth perception tests. Are you sure that the areas in question are pitted instead of a build-up of deposit?

I have had revolvers shave lead off when the cylinder timing is off and leave lead deposits. I would think that a semi could drive those pieces of lead into the breech face of the striker. Possibly take a dental pick and see if any of the deposit will "lift" off???? Gee, life sure sucks at times......good luck.

Thanks wood, I don't have a dental pick but a used a small piece of stainless wire and yeah it's definitely pitting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my G26 slide and GLOCK told me it was caused by primers setting back and hot gases shooting through the pocket. I would think this would the same thing. Maybe not over pressure reloads but out-of-spec primer pockets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Deltasource I think you're absolutely right. I went back through my fired brass and found at least half dozen cases where the primer had a tiny crack. All of the primer failures occurred in the same kind of case. This just happened to be the brass that I got a really good deal on, resized, primed and flared- $10 for 100.
Time to do some measuring. The primer pocket on the suspect brass measures .172". The primer pocket on the other brass measures .174". The primer measures .175". The primers would have had to been forced, probably creating stress fractures. Am I on target with this guys? I've added some pics. Anybody know whether Smith would replace the slide for free or whether it will cost me out of pocket? I'm not expecting them too at all. Just asking. After all, it's dumb user error.

Side by side comparison (hard to tell from pic)

rupture

rupture

·
Registered
18 Posts
GLOCK would not replace my slide. I guess the best thing to tell them is that you were shooting factory ammo. If you tell them you shot some reloads I don't think they would take care of it for you.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts