MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a S&W M&P15 today, and since this is my first AR, I would appreciate it if everyone could give me some advise on tac accessories. First of all, I'm not looking to build the ultimate AR, and I'm not made of money. So if you could provide me with quality parts that will not force me to take a second mortgage, I would really appreciate it.

Along with the AR, I purchased an EOtech 512 sight. However, I need some advise on where to mount the sight on the top rail. I notice that the M&P15 had markings on the top rail, but I have no idea where to align the optic to. Does it matter?

I am also interested in the following accessories:

1. Forearm with quad rails.

2. Extra mags.

3. Flip-up front sights.

4. Light.

5. Laser sight.

6. Anything else that you think is a MUST HAVE.

If you could, please provide the link and estimated price. I intend on doing these mods over the next few months, as more funds are available (I'm NOT made of gold). Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.

SloMo

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Must haves:

1. Lots of ammo.

2. Mags. Get some good USGI mags.

3. The ability to use the irons very well before you use any optic.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
slomo said:
Along with the AR, I purchased an EOtech 512 sight. However, I need some advise on where to mount the sight on the top rail. I notice that the M&P15 had markings on the top rail, but I have no idea where to align the optic to. Does it matter?

SloMo

You put the sight where you want to, there's no restriction on that type of sight.

Magazines: http://www.44mag.com/

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
First of all congratulations on your purchase. I am curious though, what model of M&P15 did you buy, I know of only two models that would require a front flip-up and one the 15T comes with a great set of flip-ups already. The other is 15PC which is a target rifle, just curios if you could let us know... I am also curious how you want to spend and what your intentions are with the rifle, such as do you want it for home defense, target shooting/plinking or shoot competitively. The reason I ask is that your forend quad rail decision is, do you want a free float forend, better accuracy, but needs a gunsmith for the removal the barrel and other items. I personally chose the Yankee Hills Machine Company, Inc. Two Piece Handguards, these handguards are designed to replace your standard plastic handguards with our 4 rail picatinny design. www.bravocompanyusa.com has the best price that I have found, plus they are some very good people. You also have several sponsors here that have a lot of AR15 accessories too. I am not sure why you would need a magazine extension, but if you need a magazines, well that's a no brainer. MagPul PMAG, incredibly tough, better than any magazine I have used in the past 20 years in the Army... Plus the MP-Store has them too. I hope you want a mounted light, possibly with a pressure pad, well I personally like Surefire products, the choice is yours, but I would start with a G2, add a brighter bulb (120 Lumen's) a Daniel Defense off-set mount and you're set... Laser's, well I like Beamshot, they have a new product out that is a green laser, visible from 1200m in daylight, the green beam 1000. Finally anything else you might need. As everyone has stated more quality ammo, a vertical forend grip like those from Falcon Industries, a better pistol grip such as the Ergo grip again from Falcon Industries. A cleaning Kit, a Boresnake for the barrel and possibly a sling, such as a single or three point sling. Again, these are only suggestions and www.bravocompanyusa.com is a good researching tool, as well as www.ar15.com So good luck and have fun...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would sell your current M&P15 and buy the M&P15T. It comes with the rail and flip up sights already and is cheper in the long run. Now you have to not only buy a new flip up sight, but a low profile gas block also. This is all going to add up really quickly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your advise.

Morgan: I bought the Standard M&P15, the one that came with the handle. My local shop didn't have the Tac version, so I didn't know about it. My main reason for having the AR is I hope to one day do some competition shooting. At this time, I'm just taking it to the range to get use to it, but I would like to update the AR for better overall performance.

Yukon: Is there any reason for learning the irons before the optics?

Utarch: Why would I need a low profile gas block?

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Slomo

If you are going to put flip up front sight, I assume you are going to mount it on the rail. If you are going to do that then you will take the fsb off and you will need a gas block to replace it, so the gas system will function properly.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

We can help with Mags, Ammo, rails, etc, etc and we are also a certified S&W M&P Armorer so if you need technical help, please give us a call.

C4

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the AR to the range today, and I had a blast. I shot about 200 rounds at 50 yards, and the M&P15 was great. I have to admit, it was really fun. My friend took his Bushmaster (sorry, I have no idea which one it was), and it perform really well. Since this was my first time with an AR, I can't really compare them to each other but they were both really fun. I did notice that I shot better when I stood, oppose to sitting. I was able to group better in a standing position.

I was wondering if anyone knew where I can order a rubber plate for the M&P15 stock. I know that sounds "girlie," but I just want to see if it helps with the recoil. I also need a cheek plate (no jokes please).

BTW, today at the range, I asked about the free float forearm/rail system, and it seems like most the AR shooters don't think they make a "big" difference. Accordingly, the improve accuracy is minimal and unless you're an expert sniper, you will not notice the difference. This issue has probably been debated to death, but I'm really interested to hear what you have to say. If you have read any of my previous posts, you know that I'm not an expert shooter, but I do enjoy shooting. So do you think that I should go with the free float or just stick with the regular forearm/quad rail system?

I'm also thinking about getting a scope for my AR, but I heard that I can get a flip up "magnifier" that fits behind my EOtech optic, that with allow me 5X magnification. Can anyone confirm this and provide me with a link? If not, does can anyone recommend a scope.

·
Registered
648 Posts
slomo said:
I took the AR to the range today, and I had a blast. I shot about 200 rounds at 50 yards, and the M&P15 was great. I have to admit, it was really fun. My friend took his Bushmaster (sorry, I have no idea which one it was), and it perform really well. Since this was my first time with an AR, I can't really compare them to each other but they were both really fun. I did notice that I shot better when I stood, oppose to sitting. I was able to group better in a standing position.

I was wondering if anyone knew where I can order a rubber plate for the M&P15 stock. I know that sounds "girlie," but I just want to see if it helps with the recoil. I also need a cheek plate (no jokes please).

BTW, today at the range, I asked about the free float forearm/rail system, and it seems like most the AR shooters don't think they make a "big" difference. Accordingly, the improve accuracy is minimal and unless you're an expert sniper, you will not notice the difference. This issue has probably been debated to death, but I'm really interested to hear what you have to say. If you have read any of my previous posts, you know that I'm not an expert shooter, but I do enjoy shooting. So do you think that I should go with the free float or just stick with the regular forearm/quad rail system?

I'm also thinking about getting a scope for my AR, but I heard that I can get a flip up "magnifier" that fits behind my EOtech optic, that with allow me 5X magnification. Can anyone confirm this and provide me with a link? If not, does can anyone recommend a scope.

FF rails really will not improve accuracy much, especially on a chrome lined barrel. What they will do is take pressure off the barrel and give you mounting options for lights lasers, bipod, vertical grips, etc.

EOTech makes two magnifiers that flip out to the side. They are just being releaseed now.

C4

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grant, can you get YHM parts? I was looking at their forearm with the quad rails, flip up front and rear sight, single point sling and rear sling mount (the one that goes between the collapsible stock and end). Their pricing is fair, and I have been told that they make quality products. I notice that your website only carries Daniel Defense forearm (wish I could buy one, but I would like to spend my limited resources on other gears that I would like to purchase). I'm really interested in the EOtech 4X magnifier with the flip to side mount. I saw it online going for like $800.00 and the 3X for around $500.00. Do you think that you can do any better on the pricing?

BTW, in the photo above, what rear sight is that? Thanks.

Slomo

·
Registered
648 Posts
slomo said:
Grant, can you get YHM parts? I was looking at their forearm with the quad rails, flip up front and rear sight, single point sling and rear sling mount (the one that goes between the collapsible stock and end). Their pricing is fair, and I have been told that they make quality products. I notice that your website only carries Daniel Defense forearm (wish I could buy one, but I would like to spend my limited resources on other gears that I would like to purchase). I'm really interested in the EOtech 4X magnifier with the flip to side mount. I saw it online going for like $800.00 and the 3X for around $500.00. Do you think that you can do any better on the pricing? Thanks.

Slomo

I can, but generally do not stock their rails or sights. I would advise you to stock with Troy, MI, DD, LT or KAC.

Their pricing is fair, but their quality is not IMHO.

We stock all kinds of rail systems. Here is the short list:

Daniel Defense

LaRue Tactical

Troy

VLTOR

Midwest Industries

SureFire

I do offer member discounts on EOTech products so yes, I can do better on pricing.

C4

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bungee Sling and Mount

Does anyone know where I can find the single point bungee style sling, with the mount plate that goes near the stock? Please provide link if available. Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gas block

Can someone recommend a gas block for the S&W M&P15? I want to remove the front sights, and mount a flip up sight, but I need a different gas block (one with rail), or a gas block that has flip up front sights. BTW, does anyone know the diameter of the M&P15 barrel. Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Gas block

slomo said:
Can someone recommend a gas block for the S&W M&P15? I want to remove the front sights, and mount a flip up sight, but I need a different gas block (one with rail), or a gas block that has flip up front sights. BTW, does anyone know the diameter of the M&P15 barrel. Thanks.
I'll give you links to the parts that are on the M&P15T model. This is not to say that you would have to go with Troy stuff, but gives you an idea of what is available. Also you can see why the "T" Model costs so much more than the standard models.

Troy MRF-MX (10 Inch Extended)

http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAction...&ProdID=436

more on the Troy MRF quad rails (I'm not sure why the 10inch model is not listed on this page)

http://www.troyind.com/railpage.htm

Troy Low Profile Gas Block

http://www.troyind.com/shop/product_info.p...;products_id=52

Troy Folding Front Sight

http://www.troyind.com/frontsightspage.htm

Troy Folding Rear Sight

http://www.troyind.com/Rearsight1.png

Why not put a shorter quad rail on if you really think you need one, and leave the factory front sight alone. You could save some money. From what I hear the fixed front sight does not get in the way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tomahawk: thanks for the links. I am interested in the flip up front sights so that it does not block my EOTech red dot. I know I can just buy a riser block, but I intend on purchasing an EOTech 3X magnifier and I need the sight and magnifier to be align. I know some people don't mind the fix front sight, but I prefer to have it out of the way.

I plan to buy the Midwest Industries two piece quad rail system (non free float), and I want to replace the front sight at the same time. I'm looking into buying the GG&G Modular Flip Up Front Sight that includes the gas block. I know this sounds like a waste of money, but I have plans for my AR. I have been doing a lot of research, and I'm coming up with some great ideas. Hopefully, things will begin to come together soon. It might not be the "Ultimate" AR, but it going to be MINE, ALL MINE!!!

BTW, can someone give me some information on a good laser system? And some good quality rail covers. Thanks again.

·
Registered
648 Posts
slomo said:
tomahawk: thanks for the links. I am interested in the flip up front sights so that it does not block my EOTech red dot. I know I can just buy a riser block, but I intend on purchasing an EOTech 3X magnifier and I need the sight and magnifier to be align. I know some people don't mind the fix front sight, but I prefer to have it out of the way.

I plan to buy the Midwest Industries two piece quad rail system (non free float), and I want to replace the front sight at the same time. I'm looking into buying the GG&G Modular Flip Up Front Sight that includes the gas block. I know this sounds like a waste of money, but I have plans for my AR. I have been doing a lot of research, and I'm coming up with some great ideas. Hopefully, things will begin to come together soon. It might not be the "Ultimate" AR, but it going to be MINE, ALL MINE!!!

BTW, can someone give me some information on a good laser system? And some good quality rail covers. Thanks again.

Laser Devices makes about the best laswer on the market. We special build their OTAL with a LaRue Tactical mount.

C4

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is the best place to buy the OTAL?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts