MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On other Pistols you see the caliber imprint on the barrel like 9x19 or 9x21 or 9 luger.

On the S&W M&P 9 you see only 9mm.

From what I inderstand it a 9x19 parabellum or 9mm luger (they should be same) round that should go in the M&P 9.

I might seem dum but am relativly new to all this and better ask ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
you're not dumb...

you're smart enough to ask, before risking putting the wrong bullet in the gun.

As a standard, the majority of american guns utilize the 9mm Luger... unless they say otherwise.

in this particular case, the M&P will use the Luger.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Most people will understand what you have if you use the 9MM luger designation or just 9MM. The other 9MM's are not nearly as common.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I thought so and now it clear a 9mm Luger is a 9x19mm Para bullet same config but different name.

Bullet diameter 9.02 mm (0.355 in)

Neck diameter 9.65 mm (0.380 in)

Base diameter 9.93 mm (0.391 in)

Rim diameter 9.96 mm (0.392 in)

Case length 19.15 mm (0.754 in)

Overall length 29.69 mm (1.169 in)

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
9mm Luger and 9mm Parabellum are the same thing, it is the most common 9mm cartridge by far, if the ammo doesn't say one of those two, it's probably not the right thing.

·
Registered
937 Posts
It's good that you asked. I can only imagine the results of loading a 9mm Makarov (9x18) into a 9x19 chamber. Then again, it probably wouldn't go into battery, as the .365 Makarov bullet is waay bigger than the .355 9mm. Regardless, it's always better to ask than to look stupid in the hospital.

·
Registered
67 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
It's good that you asked. I can only imagine the results of loading a 9mm Makarov (9x18) into a 9x19 chamber. Then again, it probably wouldn't go into battery, as the .365 Makarov bullet is waay bigger than the .355 9mm. Regardless, it's always better to ask than to look stupid in the hospital.

On the other hand, another variation--maybe the 9x17mm--might just go into the chamber. I understand some people have fired .40 S&W in 10mm Auto pistols, just to see what would happen (definitely not recommended).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts