MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, wife is having problems with my M&P. Let me star by saying my wife is not new to guns. She has been around guns her whole life. She is an full time active duty soldier in the Army. So, she is not squeamish when it comes to firearms. We have had guns in the house for quite a while. I recently brought home my M&P 9c and thats when the problem started. She is having trouble with this gun simply because it has no manual safeties. I tried explaining to her how even with a round chambered the gun is still safe as long as you don't pull the trigger, but she doesn't seem to buy my explanation. I think she is equating my M&P being chambered and a revolver with the hammer pulled back. In her mind a loaded M&P is ready to go off like a revolver with the hammer cocked. She carries a 9mm beretta in the army, but that gun has a hammer, and manual safeties. Every time I put the M&P down on a hard surface she flinches as if it being jarred or bumped it will go off. Now, I am a moron when it comes to explaining the guts of a gun. I don't know how to explain the internal safety features, I don't know how to explain the way the firing pin sits when loaded. I don't know how to explain sa vs da vs sada and so on. If someone would be so kind as to take a few minutes and type out an explanation on the internal safeties, firing pin position etc.. on this gun, my life at home would be so much easier and my wife wouldn't be afraid to hug me while i am carrying my M&P. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sounds like a perfect excuse to go out and but the 45 with manual safety and when teh compact version comes out to buy that one too. Sorry, couldnt resist.

I am no gunsmith by any stretch of the imaginatios and I didnt even stay a t a Holiday Inn Express last night so YMMV. The way i got my wife over the whole safty thing... after getting her over the whole gun thing, was to simply disassemble the weapon, in this case it was a G19, and physically show her the safeties and how they worked. Show her that you cant move the trigger without putting your finger onto it. Pay special detail to showing her the striker block and how it does not allow the striker to move forward without the trigger being pulled. If that doesnt work, youre SOL.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's hard to tell a WAC anything, BAMs are impossible, WAFs somewhat easier ......... (yes, feel free to share that if you have a comfortable couch)

Ask her how many Glocks she's seen, ask her how many she's seen with external safeties

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well there are safeties that you can purchase for our M&P's. There is a optional safety that replaces the pin that holds the Sear in place, and there are also safeties that enter the butt of the gun behind the clip. I normally don't have mine chambered, so I explained to my wife as I did the shotgun. Pull the slide back vs pumping a shell in a shot gun, and both are ready to fire. Now my shotgun did have a safety and it is on, so a minor change in instruction but same basic concept. Order up a optional safety and maybe she'll get off your back about it. Good luck!

·
Registered
937 Posts
A loaded, striker-fired gun IS ready to go off at a moment's notice. However, it CANNOT go off without user input, i.e. something pulling the trigger. That is the way they were designed. Between the trigger safety (your idea of it's effectiveness may vary) and the firing pin or striker safety (the round stainless button on the bottom of the slide), the gun cannot fire by being jarred, dropped, beaten, or left alone to sit on the table. Buy some A-Zoom snap caps and have her load one up and chamber it (with no live ammo in the room). Set it on the table, and have her bump the table or tap the gun any way she wants without touching the trigger. If she hears the firing pin drop, then her fears are well founded. If not, I'd say she's got nuthin to worry about.

Some people are just not comfortable about the safety-less striker fired guns. It's hard to break, but it can be done with proper teaching and reassurance. One thing you migh capitulate on for a short while is to not keep it chambered while at home.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I tend to agree with your wife. I ordered my M&P45 with the manual safety for a reason and I'm hoping that the upcoming 45c has the same option. As long as nothing is touching the trigger of your safetyless M&P it's safe. The problems start when something snags the trigger. That means paying careful attention to detail when holstering your weapon. A lesson learned by a few police officers, including firearms training officers, when they snagged the triggers of their Glocks on their holsters and shot themselves in the leg or foot. You can lock and safely holster a 1911 entirely by feel. You need to carefully eyeball a striker fired pistol all the way into the holster.

My advice is to select a holster without protuberances that might snag the trigger while holstering and that fully guards the trigger while holstered. Build a habit of watching closely while holstering. And keeping it carefully holstered to protect the trigger when it's stored at home. Finally don't be tempted to reduce your trigger pull too low. Depending on your realistic experience level, somewhere between 4.5 and 6lbs. Something that you should discuss with our smiths.

Explaining that you have established formal safe handling procedures like eyeballing the pistol all the way into it's holster and keeping it in a holster at home should go a long way to increasing her comfort level. It's also a great excuse to add a thumb safety equipped M&P45 to the family collection.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Holstering the M&P is one of the reasons I am going to have a mag-safety put in my pistol. I can eject the mag, holster, and reinsert the mag. No chance of a ND and shooting myself in the foot (so to speak).

MI_Jester

·
Registered
178 Posts
Unfortunate that the US Armed Forces are run by a bunch of panzie-arse grass eaters not interested in training soldiers properly.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
A loaded, striker-fired gun IS ready to go off at a moment's notice. However, it CANNOT go off without user input, i.e. something pulling the trigger.

Read the OP, had a response all figured out in my head, and Fiero said everything I could think of. +1 FieroCDSP

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Ruprex said:
Unfortunate that the US Armed Forces are run by a bunch of panzie-arse grass eaters not interested in training soldiers properly.
easy peasy lemon squeezy
Some of us are trained wrong and fix it and some dont... :wink: it doesnt help that your wife is in the Alcohohilc Anonymous :oops: err I mean the All American 82nd either :wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Army

As a former Soilder I can know for a fact that the Army's training with the M-9 sucks! The training aumotaically assumes all soilderss have the IQ of goat.

No respect to anyone, however I am very condifent I can holster my weapon with out pulling the trigger, I do it almost everyday.

·
Registered
422 Posts
MC said:
Well there are safeties that you can purchase for our M&P's. There is a optional safety that replaces the pin that holds the Sear in place, and there are also safeties that enter the butt of the gun behind the clip. I normally don't have mine chambered, so I explained to my wife as I did the shotgun. Pull the slide back vs pumping a shell in a shot gun, and both are ready to fire. Now my shotgun did have a safety and it is on, so a minor change in instruction but same basic concept. Order up a optional safety and maybe she'll get off your back about it. Good luck!

you should keep a round chambered. Dont depend on her having to chamber a round when the shtf.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wife

Tell your wife to treat your M&P like you treat her maxi-pads. You don't touch them and she can do the same when it comes to your M&P.

·
Registered
422 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
Some people are just not comfortable about the safety-less striker fired guns. It's hard to break, but it can be done with proper teaching and reassurance.

Funny, youre right. Im fine with my Glock and M&P with a round in the chamber. In fact the Glock 19 is sitting on the dinning room table as a write this with a 127gr Ranger +p+ round in the pipe, and 15 more to follow(of course I dont have any kids).

However, let me see a 1911 cocked and locked, and im immediately uncomfortable. Something about that hammer being cocked and that light trigger pull, drives the nerves crazy.

·
Registered
422 Posts
MI_Jester said:
Holstering the M&P is one of the reasons I am going to have a mag-safety put in my pistol. I can eject the mag, holster, and reinsert the mag. No chance of a ND and shooting myself in the foot (so to speak).

MI_Jester

You depending on a safety is your first mistake. Safeties fail, never stake your life on one. Just be careful when you holster your weapon.

·
Registered
422 Posts
jaystekan said:
Ok, wife is having problems with my M&P. Let me star by saying my wife is not new to guns. She has been around guns her whole life. She is an full time active duty soldier in the Army. So, she is not squeamish when it comes to firearms. We have had guns in the house for quite a while. I recently brought home my M&P 9c and thats when the problem started. She is having trouble with this gun simply because it has no manual safeties. I tried explaining to her how even with a round chambered the gun is still safe as long as you don't pull the trigger, but she doesn't seem to buy my explanation. I think she is equating my M&P being chambered and a revolver with the hammer pulled back. In her mind a loaded M&P is ready to go off like a revolver with the hammer cocked. She carries a 9mm beretta in the army, but that gun has a hammer, and manual safeties. Every time I put the M&P down on a hard surface she flinches as if it being jarred or bumped it will go off. Now, I am a moron when it comes to explaining the guts of a gun. I don't know how to explain the internal safety features, I don't know how to explain the way the firing pin sits when loaded. I don't know how to explain sa vs da vs sada and so on. If someone would be so kind as to take a few minutes and type out an explanation on the internal safeties, firing pin position etc.. on this gun, my life at home would be so much easier and my wife wouldn't be afraid to hug me while i am carrying my M&P. Thank you so much.

Simply explain to her the gun has a firing pin block. The block prevents the firing pin from making contact with the primer. The block can only be released by pulling the trigger. Explain that the gun could fall on the kitchen floor and it still would not go off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to everyone for your responses. Thanks to fiero and Nikon especially. I was looking for a way to explain that it in fact was safe for her to handle. telling my wife that I don't touch her pads, so don't touch my gun is not an option. There is a gun in the house, she is an adult. It would be irresponsible of me to tell her not to touch it and to leave it at that. She needs to be able to handle it in case of emergency, and to be feel safe when I am carrying it. I agree, her military training leave a lot to be desired. I wouldn't expect her training to help her feel safe around the M&P, I was simply saying that in order to show that her problem with it isn't simply being squeamish around guns, her problem is not trusting THIS PARTICULAR gun. I am one of those who believe that a gun without a round in the chamber is about as useful in the holster as a potato in my holster would be. Anyway, I went to Gander mountain today and bought some snap-caps. I chambered a snap-cap and dropped my M&P off the back deck, maybe a 15 foot drop onto a piece of wood on my lawn. Gun didn't go fire. I purposely tossed it onto the kitchen table, nothing happened. Dropped it onto the deck floor from 6 feet, nothing again. This may be abusive to the gun, but if it can't take a little abuse, and still properly function, then I don't need to be carrying it anyway. I am currently carrying my Bersa 380cc until I am done showing the wife this gun can be trusted, and then after I am done beating it up, i have to go to the range to test it out again, but so far so good, no damage. Like i said, if the gun can't get knocked around a little on my belt, then I don't need or want it, and getting knocked around on my belt is nothing compared to what I have done to it today so far. My goal isn't to abuse test my gun it is to show the wife the gun is safe. Anyway, I was looking for some technical mumbo-jumbo about pin blocks, trigger safeties and stuff like that., and thanks to those of you who came through for me. I read it to her and showed her the guts of the gun, and she seems to be slowly gaining confidence.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Thats some good home testing and a wonderful idea I might have to do that to still comfort my wife. Glad you found a simple solution to a complex issue (women) :wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts