MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard so many good things about Mr. Dan Burwell and his work that I'm going to have him work on my MP 40C. He is going to install XS Big Dot express sights which I have already received. Although this pistol will be fired almost entirely at an indoor range, and possibly at IDPA matches, I want it set up for close quarter combat. I welcome good ideas from anyone, but would especially like to hear from those who had Mr. Burwell work on their pistol.

I plan to get a standard trigger job. I want a good trigger pull but don't want a trigger so light that it is dangerous. I was thinking 4 or 4.5 pounds. If you had this work done, what is the trigger pull you had done, and are you comfortable with it for concealed carry?

If you had a melt job done, do you think it enhances concealed carry, or is it just an attractive enhancement?

I'm undecided about stippling. If you had this done do you think it improved the pistol for concealed carry purposes? Does it irritate the skin if you fire 100 - 150 rounds in a session?

A Tucker "The Answer" is on order and should arrive in about 12 more weeks.

Lastly, is there any other work I should consider having done while it is in Mr. Burwell's capable hands?

Thank you for any advice or experience you would care to share for this project .

·
Registered
414 Posts
I might ask how long you've had your M&P and how many rounds you've put through it. Honestly, if you have a reliable gun, about all it really needs is to be fired as much as possible by you! Spend your money on ammo and shoot it up! The gun is fine as is.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, DHart. I should consult with you the next time I decide to buy a new car. I'll bet you could help me save money. Seriously, I've had the pistol about 4 months, and put about 500 rounds through it. I'm putting on the new sights because my eyes aren't quite as good as they used to be. While it is a fine pistol, I want an improvement in the trigger. The other stuff is undecided at this time. I appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Dan did the 3.5lb standard trigger job on my 9c. I love it. Ben2112 on here has fired my 9c and he said he wants a trigger job by Dan now. It's 10x's better than stock. I carry my 9c everyday with said trigger. When my 45 gets back from Dan it will have the 4.5lb standard trigger he offers for the 45's and I'll start carrying that everyday with complete confidence. At 3.5lb it is noticeably lighter than it came new, but it's not so light that it's dangerous.

I had the melt job done, but I can't comment on whether or not it enhanced carry. I didn't carry it enough prior to having it done to make a real judgement. It does look damn good, though. I imagine ie would help with getting the gun in and out of holsters.

The stippling definitely helps with shooting. It really helps keep the gun firmly planted in your hand. I've fired hundreds of rounds in one range trip with no irritation whatsoever. I even had him stipple the trigger, and it doesn't bother my finger at all either.

Whatever you have him do you won't be disappointed unless you have him duracoat your gun pink... unless of course that's your thing.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Trigger job is an essential if you will be doing any competing with it, the rest is just cosmetics IMHO!! Also, stippling will kick your gun out of SSP class.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Josh and Coltman1985, thank you for your information. It looks like 3.5 to 4.5 pounds would be about right. I didn't realize that stippling would affect SSP - I'll just have to decide whether I want to use this pistol or another for that purpose. I'm learning a lot here.

Hmmm. Pink

·
Registered
246 Posts
You could have the trigger job done (highly recommended) and whatever sights you like and just put a sharkskin back strap on it. That way you would get a chance to see if you like the texture and if you wanted to shoot an IDPA match you could put the stock backstrap back on. FWIW

I don't know about the pink duracoat. I'd be concerned about what class that would put you in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the helpful comments, L.C.Star. I am dropping the melt and media blasting from the list. There won't be any pink duracoat, even though it might cause some excitement at the range. I like your idea of doing just the backstrap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I received my MP .40C back from Dan a few days ago. What a difference his work makes. I went with a 4.5# trigger pull, just couldn't forget a former neighbor who had a wooden leg from an accidental discharge in his pocket. In addition to the trigger job I added the XS Big Dot sights and shark skin on the grip, front grip, and trigger. I got smaller groups, and expect some more improvement when I get used to the new sights and trigger pull. If you're thinking about having Dan work on your pistol, just go ahead and do it. You won't regret it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts