MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse this newb to the M&P series! I just bought my "first" M&P this week. This gun feels awesome in the hand. Can't wait to go shoot it.

1) I bought the Full size M&P 40 Serial# MPA96xx. Revision M Can someone tell me about this?

2) Can someone explain to me what the teardrop hole is all about and what other things if any I should be concerned about with this model. I had no idea there were so many variations of this gun when I bought mine. Am I good or should I expect something to break?

3) I can't seem to get the slide release to drop the slide without using two hands. Is this normal or is this what everyone is talking about when they remove the Mag Disconnect. I can get it to do it without the magazine in. It seems some people are getting an extended slide release, but shouldn't I be able to do it with the factory? It seems that I have to pull back on the slide a bit and then release. This doesn't seem right.

4) Finally, are there any modifications I should expect to make on this gun? I hear many people talk about doing some trigger work. I haven't shot it yet, so I probably should first. I don't dry fire the gun (only a few times to feel trigger) and I haven't taken it apart to clean it yet (but will before first fire).

Thanks for putting up with all my questions. I love the way this gun feels and if it shoots as nicely, I want to get the 40c.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
1 Revision M, there is a message thread explaining some of the differences, you might try a search.

2 I believe the teardrop hole you mention might be the firing pin hole, this was one of the improvements made as production has gone on. I wouldn't expect anything to break, I have a revision M and it's fine. Every product that comes on the market will go through a series of improvements as time goes on, that's a normal process.

3 This is normal, the recommended way to drop the slide is to pull the slide to the rear. The extended slide release that you mention is simply that it sticks out slightly further than the original, I believe as a revision M your pistol already has it, the original was completely flat.

4 If you want a trigger job that's fine, it's nice but not needed, think about the fact that probably 99% of the pistols sold won't ever have a trigger job done. I would highly recommend you put a few hundred rounds of ammo through the pistol before anything is done to it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

Thanks for the info. I am starting to really familiarize myself with this gun. I took it apart for the first time tonight and gave it a thorough cleaning. Can you or maybe someone else explain what the mag disconnect does and why people are removing it? I saw instructions on Burwell's sight. Just wondering. I'm pretty much a diehard 1911 fan. This is my first poly gun. I couldn't stand Glocks, but when I felt this Smith...I had to get it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had some issues with early serial numbers MPAxxxx, MPBxxxx but I sent the MPB back to S&W and they fixed them and I had it back within a week of shipping it out. Even in the unlikely event you do have issues with the firearm S&W will make it right.

As for the Mag Disconnect, it's a lever that disconnects the trigger bar. If I understand correctly it functions the same as the little lever you have to rotate down to dissassemble the pistol. I had the factory remove mine (they did it free of charge!) because I don't like having a mag in the firearm when dry firing for safety sake. That's just personal preference though.

MC

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I'm still wondering why I can't drop the slide while the magazine is in by releasing the slide stop. Is that part of this design? I've never had a pistol that I couldn't just ram in a new mag and release the slide and start firing. This would seem to be a problem if police had to reload in the heat of a gun battle, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do a search, in the forum, and you should find the fix to that.

All that is required is to polish the area of the slide

that makes contact with the slide lock.

There are a couple of minor burrs that need to be polished out.

I used 1000 grit sandpaper on mine.

Make a few swipes then check.

Continue until you get a nice smooth release.

It will work fine after that.

Not sure if M&P's are still coming from S&W that way yet, but I would think

they would have solved that issue by now.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
The MP doesn't have a lot of leverage on that release, I can do that easily on my 1911, but the extended release is long and has lots of leverage, the preferred method is to retract the slide using your off hand, that way you don't lose your firing grip.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts