MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between three guns, all in 9mm. Sig 229 (shot and really like), M&P (shot and really like), and the HK P2000 (only held). Strangly enough I like the M&P and the 229 pretty much equally, even though they are drastically different. Alloy vs plasic, DA/SA vs DA, and so on. I find that they are both equally accurate, but they deffinantly feel different. I throw the P2000 in there because it felt so good in my hand, but I did not have an oportunity to shoot one. So, those of you who have personal experience with at least two of these guns, please share you thoughts....pros and cos, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I carry a P2000 (.40) every day, but I am impressed with the M&P although I've had some issues with mine. They both have interchangeable backstraps but the M&P is going to win in that department due to the palm swells. Some like the initial heavy DA trigger of the P2000 followed by the lighter SA trigger. But the M&P with it consistent trigger is better than the similar Glock and XD triggers IMO, which has its own merits. The tapered slide of the P2000 makes it easier to conceal, not that the 9mm M&P is hard to conceal. I think it's really going to come down to personal preference on this one. Which one fits your hand better, which trigger do you prefer, etc.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think it depends on what you are using it for. I switched from a Sig P228 which is the older version of the P229 to a M&P9c for multiple reasons. I did not like the DA/SA trigger ont he Sig for carry purposes, and it was just too large/bulky for me to carry on a daily basis. I happen to absolutly LOVE the M&P for its ergonomics, reliability, and ease of shooting.

It really is a personal choice. Sigs are among the top guns on the market but the M&P sure has swayed me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sporwick said:
I think it depends on what you are using it for. I switched from a Sig P228 which is the older version of the P229 to a M&P9c for multiple reasons. I did not like the DA/SA trigger ont he Sig for carry purposes, and it was just too large/bulky for me to carry on a daily basis. I happen to absolutly LOVE the M&P for its ergonomics, reliability, and ease of shooting.

It really is a personal choice. Sigs are among the top guns on the market but the M&P sure has swayed me.

Your concerns with the 228 is exactly what worries me about the 229 (size, weight, DA/SA trigger). How does the full size and compact M&P compare? Is the compact pretty similar to the Glock 26? I think the G26 is just too small to shoot comfortably, so I think the M&Pc might be also. So I am leaning towards the full size M&P for my daily carry, though I think it is pretty big.

·
Registered
71 Posts
the M&P compact is slightly larger and heavier than the Glock 26. Liek every gun there are pros and cons its all a matter of what fits you personally. The M&P9c is slightly larger than the Glock 26 and holds 2 more rounds. If you shot the full size M&P and the compact there really would not be that much of a diference in terms of felt recoil. The compact is easy to shoot, easy to clean, and easy to carry. Like I said, no one can convince you one gun over another...you really need to feel them for yourself. When I made the switch there is an extremely noticeable difference between carrying a P228 and the compact.

Glock 26:

LENGTH - 6.29 in.

HEIGHT - 4.17 in.

WIDTH - 1.18 in

WEIGHT - 19.75 oz.

LOADED - 26.10 oz

MAG. CAPACITY - 10

TRIGGER PULL - 5.5 lbs

M&P9c:

Capacity - 12+1

Barrel Length - 3.5"

Trigger Pull - 6.5 lbs.

Overall Length - 6.7"

Weight Empty (No Mag) - 21.7 oz.

Overall Height - 4.3"

Width - 1.2"

·
Registered
134 Posts
I own a USP9 Expert and M&P9 and had a USP9c. The H&K cannot be beat for reliability and engineering. It is however, IMO, better constructed of superior materials. I was never able to be very proficient with my USPc. I could get 2" groups at 15 yards, but really had to focus on it. I am also not a fan of cocked and locked or the long double action pull so I sold it. The M&P holds a lot more rounds than my USPc, is thinner (and taller) and with the modified trigger, shoots great. The slide is also not as tell and thus makes the pistol easier to handle (lower center of mass).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have to second the reliability and accuracy of the USP. However, from what I've heard H&K is a pain in the ass to deal with for individuals and dealer. My local dealer was an authorized seller of H&K but dropped them due to problems. I don't personally own a USP but at distance I'm more accurate with it than my M&P9. But the USP is a big gun even in compact. The weight and ergonomics of the M&P won me over (+recoil or lack of it).

If I had the cash a Sig 229(any version) is an awesome gun, but way out of my price range.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
HKs service has improved considerably since they moved to Alabama. I sent my USP in to HK to be serviced and I had it back in less than a week. The process was totally painless and the lead tech called me 3 times while they had it to update me on the progress. This is just my experience, but you can't ask for much better than that.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
systemmaster said:
If I had the cash a Sig 229(any version) is an awesome gun, but way out of my price range.

Sig CPO guns are only $550. The low cost and great shootability of the 229 is why I am looking, but I am not sure I can get over the DA/SA trigger. For range use it is awsome though.

Check here for CPO guns...these guys are great. http://www.ordnanceoutsellers.com/index.htm

HK seems to have a good reputation, but the lack of guns to shoot is a big drawback. The stores carry them, but the ranges say HK does not have a range gun system set up like other manufacturors (I am guessing these are cheap guns just for the range). So if they are that difficult to deal with for the ranges, I am not really willing to give them a chance to get my money (and they are about $200 over the cost of the other guns.)

And I think I would go with the M&P9c, but again, there are none to put in my hand. That is all it would take, I don't even need to shoot one. I know how the full size shoots and reacts, I just want to know how the compact feels in my hand.

What I do know is that I will order a Rafter S belt (and maybe a belt holster) as well as a Brommeland Max Con V (IWB) holster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts