MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed I have two boxes of new Federal 9 mm Plus P Plus ammo. Anyone have any
experience shooting this in Shields?

Thanks

·
Registered
879 Posts
DON"T!!!!!
Please read the owners manual that came with your firearm.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
Any factory ammo is fine in your M&P pstols, with the possible exception of the Shield. There are a few reports of them failing with overpressure ammo, so I wouldn't recommend it at this time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dont do it, two boxes of 18 dollar bullets isnt worth causing harm to yourself or your gun BUT If you decide to go against the advice given here and the warnings given by s&w, please take vids.

·
Registered
144 Posts
NO manufacturer approves +P+ ammo in their manual as far as I am aware but it doesn't stop a lot of people from using it. Heck, 9BPLE and Ranger +P+ has been issued by various PD's for decades.

If guns were blowing up because of it you would be reading about it.

Edit: I've shot a few boxes of Federal 9BPLE through my Shield and still have all my fingers. The Shield is a solidly built gun.

Another Edit: The Shield was designed around the .40 S&W which has much less steel around the chamber and is substantially more powerful.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
NO manufacturer approves +P+ ammo in their manual...
At least 2 companies do.

If guns were blowing up because of it you would be reading about it.
We have been reading about it, and there are threads about it in these forums. That begs the question, where have you been?

The Shield was designed around the .40 S&W which has much less steel around the chamber and is substantially more powerful.
SAAMI spec for standard pressure 40S&W is exactly the same as it is for standard pressure 9mm (35,000 psi), but 9mm has a +p loading (38,500 psi, maximum probable sample 41,500 psi) while 40S&W doesn't.

·
Registered
144 Posts
At least 2 companies do.

We have been reading about it, and there are threads about it in these forums. That begs the question, where have you been?

SAAMI spec for standard pressure 40S&W is exactly the same as it is for standard pressure 9mm (35,000 psi), but 9mm has a +p loading (38,500 psi, maximum probable sample 41,500 psi) while 40S&W doesn't.
1. Selectively editing my post and leaving part out is dishonest.

2. We are discussing 9mm which has more steel around the chamber than the .40's. But in any case there is no .40 S&W +P+, apples to oranges. A lot of different .40s have succumbed to hot rodded ammo.

3. Even though they operate at the same pressures, the .40 is a more powerful round which in turn generates more stress on all parts of the gun, not just the chamber/breech area.

4. Several of the blown up .40's I've read about have been with Underwood ammo and no one knows what pressure they are loaded to.

5. I've been out shooting my 3913NL and Shield 9 with +P+ 9BPLE, where have you been?

Edit:

1. Read the manual. Smith and Wesson forbids the use of +P+ in ANY of their firearms. LOL

2. The day that I become concerned that my Shield 9 is so underbuilt that it is dangerous with +P+ from the major manufacturers like Federal and Winchester is the day I put it up for sale.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
Selectively editing my post and leaving part out is dishonest.
While I completely disagree, as always you're welcome to your opinion.

Several of the blown up .40's I've read about have been with Underwood ammo and no one knows what pressure they are loaded to.
Several, but not all of them. Maybe not even the majority.

I've been out shooting my 3913NL and Shield 9 with +P+ 9BPLE, where have you been?
Read the manual. Smith and Wesson forbids the use of +P+ in ANY of their firearms. LOL
Not sure where you're going with this train of thought. Those two statements seem diametrically opposed to one another. My training partner has shot several cases of Federal 9BPLE through her M&P9 Shield, and will continue to do so as it's her issued ammo (so it's free to her).

BTW, I've been competing (as I do most weekends). I just ran a couple of the shorter stages using my M&P40 Shield, against a number of Glock 35s, and faired very well.

Not everything in your post was worth repeating, so I didn't. Honest enough for you?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Back to the issue at hand! In 9mm will you
see a significant performance boost from +P+
out of a short barrel like the Shield? Of the testing by
people on You tube(Shootingthebull410,Tnoutdoors9. Etc..)
seem to lose penetration in using +P because they expand so much.
Wouldn't you get excessive expansion and even less penetration
with +P+ ammo?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just read through the Starline brass overview of their 9mm product. I find that they are concerned about the lack of support for +P in the Shield. Here's what it says: "**NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE IN S&W SHIELD PISTOLS WITH NEAR-MAX OR +P LOADS, DUE TO POORLY SUPPORTED CHAMBER CONDITIONS**". YMMV, but it sure seems like there are a lot of cautions out there about +P and the Shield.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
I've read several articles, and quite a few forum threads, that seem to come to a similar conclusion. That is the reason for offering the warning I did (before the thread got pulled off course talking about 40S&W).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've never owned +P+ ammo but I've put probably, 2,500 rounds combined of Federal HST +P and Winchester Ranger T +P threw my 9mm Shield.

I'd been able to get quantities of traded in Police ammo for less per box of 50 than going to Wal-Mart and buying a 50 round box of Federal or Winchester White Box for ages so I was exclusively shooting that for target ammo for ages. Not so much now, now the people I got it threw put it all on Gunbroker but I still have a few 500 round cases of each left and I pop off a 50 round box here and there still.

Actually, I'd been shooting that in my GLOCK's, HK's and M&P's for a while instead of target ammo without any issues.

Personal experience, not advise and certainly NOT me saying you couldn't have issues but, um, yeah...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just read through the Starline brass overview of their 9mm product. I find that they are concerned about the lack of support for +P in the Shield. Here's what it says: "**NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE IN S&W SHIELD PISTOLS WITH NEAR-MAX OR +P LOADS, DUE TO POORLY SUPPORTED CHAMBER CONDITIONS**". YMMV, but it sure seems like there are a lot of cautions out there about +P and the Shield.
What does "poorly supported chamber conditions" mean? I think
Glocks are +P+ rated. What do they do differently from the M&P line?
Or is this just Shield specific?

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
This potential problem appears to be Shield specific. BTW, according to their manual, Glocks are not +p+ rated. HK USP is one of only a few that are.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Shield definitely leaves more of the cartridge
unsupported. This was the best of the pics I took.
The Shield barrel is on the right.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts