MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been looking into acquiring a pocket gun. This gun will be used primarily for back-up purposes but may also be carried IWB by my petite fiance when she can't conceal the M&P9c. Thus far I have begun to look at several manufactures including Kahr (PM9), Seecamp (LWS .32), Kel-tec (P-11, PF9, P32, P3AT), Skyy (CPX-1), and North American Arms (Guardian .380). I have handled all of the guns listed in parentheses. I have also handled the S&W 642 and 442 but they are just to big.

Kahr - I like but seems to be a bit on the large side

Seecamp - I also like but it might be slightly too small (not as big an issue as too large for pocket)

Kel-tec - Have heard great things but the fit and finish and feel leave much to be desired

Skyy - Nice fit and finish but too large and questionable reliability (varying opinions)

NAA - The guardian that I handled was the .380 and it felt great. So far this is the only one that the feel really impressed me. However, I have heard that they have questionable reliability. Also, I really like the ease of take-down and the fact that Kahr makes the slide and frame.

Does anyone have recommendations as to which gun is most suited for what I am looking for based on a the following analysis. (In order of importance - Reliability, Suits Needs, Price, Fit and Finish, any other factors) If possible where there are caliber options the suggested caliber also. Recommendations can be from this list or anything else I should look into. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I carry a PM9 in a pocket holster as a BUG everyday. I can tell you that it's been 100% reliable with everything I've fed it. Has excellent workmanship/fit/finish etc. The bottom edge of the slide stop tends to be a bit sharp, but is easily corrected by the owner without it looking like it's been modified.

The Kahrs are reliable enough that some of the better custom shops will tweak, tune and massage them. I know Ted Yost has done several, Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide has a PM9 package and I believe that Wayne Novak will build on them.

I've had nothing done to mine, and it fills it's role admirably. Hope this helps some, but as always... YMMV

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I use a S&W 642 with a crimson trace grip on it. This can be shot right through a coat pocket at close range if needed.

The kahr is great also I have build quite a few customs with heavy contouring on the slide and levers to make it like a bar of soap so as to not snag when drawing or holstering. The levers need it to keep from eating you thumbs if you shoot them much. Hope this helps CHECK 360 David Bowie

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I think the 642/442 is the greatest pocket/backup gun available. I have tried most of the guns on your list. I have sold them all; and I won't take for my 642. It is not too big for pocket carry. It hides well where ever you carry it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I carry the Kel-Tec P32, which is great for the size and number of shots, but I am losing confidence in the caliber more and more. I agree with you that the S&W 642 is larger, but it is light, fits well in a pocket or a range of concealed carry holsters, and you can't beat the +P performance. I just picked up the 642 for my wife (petite @ 120lbs) and she LOVES it! To be honest, I am a bit jealous and will probably end up replacing my Kel-Tec.

·
Registered
378 Posts
For the times that I cannot carry my Walther P99 compact, I have a Keltect 32. I am satisfied w/ the gun - it works well. I paid a little over $200. I hear U about the fit and finish, but what do U expect for a $200 pocket gun. But, it does work everytime.

For years, I kinda made fun of Keltecs because I saw so many people complaining about them.

But the 2nd generation ones are out, and they have a pretty good reliability record.

In early 2006, I picked up a P32 at a gunshow table, and I was amazed at the size. And, it felt pretty good. I got one last year. I painted a white dot on the front sight because my indoor range is kinda dark. But I haven't had a problem w/ it yet. It's not a gun U would shoot long distances w/. But, I practice at 15 feet and closer w/ it. Works well..

On our site (in the Keltec section), we have a thread w/ a link to some ballistic tests done w/ the Keltec 32. I carry Fiochi FMJ in mine. It had the best penetration rate ot of all the other cartidges. Hollow points really aren't the best for this size of round. Plus, U hgave the issue of possible rimlock in the mag with hollow points, unless you get one of those guidewire kits. Rimlock isn't an issue w/ FMJ.

·
Registered
109 Posts
pocket gun

340pd or PM9 are both great and what I carry when I can't carry my compact or as a backup in pocket holster or smartcarry.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a 642 as a pocket gun and it was an exceptional gun for pocket carry. However, I chose to exchange it for a Ruger SP101 Hammerless model with Crimson Trace grips for the knockdown of the 357 mag. Its not a pocket gun by any means, so I opted to carry it inside the waist. My girlfriend still has a 642 and it carries well for her. It still has enough power to do the trick when loaded with Speer GD 125gr +p rounds.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How about the M&P340 CT .357 Mag or .38 with Crimson Trace grip. This is what I think I'm gonna get for a pocket gun.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Have you looked at the Beretta Tomcat .32acp. I got my wife a Bobcat in .25 auto for plinking in its a neat little gun. If you do go with one of the NAA Guardians please write up a report on it as I too am interested in one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts