MP-Pistol Forum banner

Police Scanners

5K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  rondo 
#1 ·
Thinking of getting a handheld police scanner but have no clue what to get. I figure one of these things would be handy to have if something like the cali fires happened in my very fire prone part of the world. Also have a big druggie/hippie crime problem in my area so when I hear sirens I can't help but wonder what is going on.

Maybe something like this? Any recommendations?

TIA

#27 ·
deputy617 said:
As an LEO I am forced to listen to the dang ole' squakbox all day at work. I'll never understand why anybody would wanna listen to our radio traffic for recreation or entertainment. Although, it must be a popular hobby because a lot of the houses I take calls at have scanners playing our radio frequencies when I walk in. Kinda funny. To each his/her own though.

I for one own a security company and I listen to see if I can hear anything going on with my customers,

Also it's the only legal way we can eavesdrop :twisted:

#28 ·
deputy617 wrote

As an LEO I am forced to listen to the dang ole' squakbox all day at work. I'll never understand why anybody would wanna listen to our radio traffic for recreation or entertainment. Although, it must be a popular hobby because a lot of the houses I take calls at have scanners playing our radio frequencies when I walk in. Kinda funny. To each his/her own though.

I live in a very small town, with no local newspaper or news radio. After a town policeman was shot 7 times last May during a traffic stop...he survived, saved by a bullet proof vest and is now back on Duty...everyone went down to the local Radio Shack and bought a scanner...me included. I can't believe all the stuff that goes on around here, day or night. At least now when they put out an APB or an ATL, half the town is out looking also. It expanded the eyes of the police department at least 10 fold. Plus, it gives us something to talk about during Happy Hour!

#29 ·
I am an Extra class ham operator, and I currently maintain the trunked 800 MHz system for the State of Florida and the Florida Highway Patrol. I think best source of info for local incidents is fire departments, EMS, and highway departments, if they are using analog radio in the VHF or UHF range. They rely on common plain talk descriptions of situations they respond to, and if it’s VHF, then it’s not trunked either. Actual police radio is pretty boring, so I wouldn’t pay a lot to get to listen in. If you get a trunking scanner, find out first if the system you want to listen in on is digital, if it is, then save your money.

#32 ·
Thank you. He was 90 years old and ready to pass on after leading a good life.

For a person who never finished the 8th grade and worked in factories all of his life, he was a wise man who helped put my brother and me through college and was a gentleman , respected by all who knew him. I'm glad I was able to spend the last year and a half near him, after living thousands of miles apart for most of my adult life.

If your Dad's still around, give him a call this week. I wish I could.

#34 ·
Arizona Smithshooter said:
I live in a very small town, with no local newspaper or news radio. After a town policeman was shot 7 times last May during a traffic stop...he survived, saved by a bullet proof vest and is now back on Duty...everyone went down to the local Radio Shack and bought a scanner...me included. I can't believe all the stuff that goes on around here, day or night. At least now when they put out an APB or an ATL, half the town is out looking also. It expanded the eyes of the police department at least 10 fold. Plus, it gives us something to talk about during Happy Hour!

Exactly!

Ended up getting the cheapest one I could find ($79) and it works great. It’s actually way more than I need. Thanks again for all the advice, you guys saved me some real money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.