MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading this thread, http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2291 , and it was talking about polishing the chamber and feed ramp. By the way, Dan Burwell did a very nice job on the gun in that thread!!

So I have a couple of questions please. I am still not an expert about all the terminology about guns. When you say chamber, are you talking about where the bullet is sitting after it has been stripped from the magazine inside the barrel? If so, are you polishing the whole inside of that chamber, or just around the lip of the chamber? If the inside of the chamber is being polished, can a Dremel tool and a felt wheel be used to do this. Maybe use some Flitz on the felt wheel? And then I assume you are just polishing the feed ramp like many do one the little Kel-Tecs and probably many other auto loaders also? Am I also correct in thinking that you don't really try to change the shape of anything, just polish it well?

Thanks for any info.

Ron

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wondering, have I asked a bad question here, or just one that no body knows the answer to? If the question is out of line, please delete it!!

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Ron,

Not a bad question. I had an answer all typed out but something happened and I lost it so here it goes again:

The fact that you are not sure what the chamber is doesn't make me confident that you know what you are doing but I will still answer your question for the sake of knowledge. (I don't mean to offend I am just not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about this).

You can use a felt wheel and some flitz just be very careful you can remove too much material fairly quickly even with Flitz. I do the whole chamber not just the end. The idea being that it make the spent case easier for the gun to extract the spent case if the chamber is nice and smooth.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
All I can say is possibly.

I have yet to experience the FTE's with WWB. Actually that is what I test fire all my trigger jobs with and I have yet to have it occur. So maybe some day if I find a gun that this is happening with I can try it. Since I have not gotten the opturnity to see it occur I cannot tell if it is an ammo failure or a gun problem or a combination of both. Honestly right now I am thinking it may be an ammo oproblem with a smaller than avg rim. I would like to see it occur so I could measure and examine the rim so I could find the real culprit.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan Burwell said:
Ron,

Not a bad question. I had an answer all typed out but something happened and I lost it so here it goes again:

The fact that you are not sure what the chamber is doesn't make me confident that you know what you are doing but I will still answer your question for the sake of knowledge. (I don't mean to offend I am just not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about this).

You can use a felt wheel and some flitz just be very careful you can remove too much material fairly quickly even with Flitz. I do the whole chamber not just the end. The idea being that it make the spent case easier for the gun to extract the spent case if the chamber is nice and smooth.

Thanks for the response Dan. I am not quite as dumb about guns as my question might lead you to believe. I understand your reply and appreciate it. I think it was a brain fart :oops: . The more I think about it, the more it really bugs me that I asked about the chamber. I do know what that is. Oh well, the more I talk about it the dumber I feel so I will let it go :roll: . I did polish the feed ramp very well and was very careful not to remove excess material.

Thanks again, Ron

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
choochboost said:
I can send you the casing the next time it occurs.
I would be glad to take a look at it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts