MP-Pistol Forum banner

How many of you are shooting your M&P with a stock trigger vs. having a trigger job done ?

• Stock trigger

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you are shooting your M&P with a stock trigger vs. having a trigger job done ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Self done trigger job based on Dan B's wonderful info. I like it. I'm gonna do it again as it's still a bit much for me.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I find the stock trigger ok. Ilike the trigger job because it makes it 'crisper'( for lack of a better word). I could be content with either. My full size has a trigger jobmy compact doesn't

·
Registered
541 Posts
I thought about sending the gun in for Dan's trigger job. The last time out shooting while practicing from the holster doing some Mozambique drills, I didn't really notice the shortcoming in the trigger. A bit crisper reset might be nice so I may work on the trigger myself when more parts become available, just in case I mess up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the stock trigger in both my 9 and 40 compacts. I feel after a few hundred live and dry fires, the triggers really smoothed out a bit. I do a lot of double action revolver shooting so actually the trigger didn't feel that bad out of the box.

Dennis

·
Registered
673 Posts
ToddG said:
The stock trigger is definitely livable.

I've had mine modified to my personal specs. Read here if you care. 8)

Nice
Good info I'll take to the shed when I work on my trigger 8) Thanks mate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
40SX said:
I have the stock trigger in both my 9 and 40 compacts. I feel after a few hundred live and dry fires, the triggers really smoothed out a bit. I do a lot of double action revolver shooting so actually the trigger didn't feel that bad out of the box.

Dennis

Out of the box, the trigger was okay, but not fantastic for me. I was seriously thinking of sending the pistol to Dan for a minimal trigger job.

However, after shooting and dry firing the piece a bit, the trigger has improved enormously over my initial impression of it (or maybe I'm just getting used to it?). At this point, I don't know if I want to bother modifying it anymore. Its really entirely adequate, and for a carry piece I don't want it getting too light.

And a note regarding the reset: Maybe I'm just one of the lucky few who's M&P came this way... but I can't imagine the reset becoming any more positive. After firing the weapon, if I let off the trigger just a bit, there is a crisp "click" and there it is. I'm not sure what could be done to improve that aspect of the trigger (at least on my copy).

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I polished everything in my 9MM and left my .40 alone. I made no attempt to reduce poundage, just wanted to see if it would be any smoother. It was probably improved a little but not a great deal. I quite frankly liked both triggers as delivered. After 5000 + rounds through both I can't tell which is in my hand without looking. They are both smooth enough for me.

:twisted:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trigger Job

I had Mike LaRocca in Worcester, Ma. get rid of the godawful mass. trigger and work his magic.

Trigger is much better. I have a full size 40.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I actually liked the stock trigger on my 9c, but the 45's trigger was a bear and something had to be done. I sent both to Dan for the standard Burwell trigger job and I'm very pleased. I had both matched as close as possible at 4-1/2lbs. I think that the stock 9mm trigger with just a tiny bit of smoothing it about the perfect self/home defense trigger that and most people would be best off just leaving well enough alone or just having it smoothed without reducing weight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did a medium job on my 40 I guess you could say. I did the trigger job but only took it down to around 5# maybe 4.5. Gotta get it tested. The main thing I did was get a nice smooth trigger pull now. Everything about it is just smoother and nicer to operate.

I also did my girls 9c but didnt do anything to reduce the trigger pull. I just smoothed everything up a bit to make it more smooth and less jerky. Kind of like artifically breaking it in I guess you could say.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Did the trigger work per Dan B's instructions. I didn't TRY too hard to lower the pull weight, though it measures 4# even on my RCBS scale. I still need to remove the rear sight and radius/polish the FP plunger.

I almost hope I never get to feel one of Dan's REAL trigger jobs...that way I never have to know just how BAD a job I did on mine! :wink:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well since I have done the trigger job, not to extreme a little off on the weight and smoothed itout alot I have put around 500 rounds thru her and no issues except with some bad reload ammo I had. For some reason with that stuff I would get lite strikes all the time. CHanged out the ammo and not everything runs great.

The girlfriend and I were at the range and she shot it for the first time since I did the trigger job and says she loves how it shoots now. She didnt like it before but not I couldnt get it away from her lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn't care for the stock triggers on my M&P 9mm and .45acp, and the factory trigger contour tended to abrade my trigger finger pad. I reshaped the lower portion of the triggers to straighten them out (just a little) and smoothen, then followed Dan's great guide. Drastically improved now - I'm a happy camper!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts