MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded my gen 1 CORE, 4.25” M&P to an M2.0 Performance Center ported 4.25” CORE. I like it, but it’s been a rough start. I had a lot of FTE/FTFs in the first 240 rounds and sent it back for warranty work.

I ran 120 rounds through it after getting it back and had 2 FTEs. I’m writing it off to low velocities of 115grain Blazer Brass at this point. It did run through 32 rounds flawlessly prior to it acting up. Maybe it’s a combination of the barrel fouling and low velocities. I’m going to try Seller & Bellot with 11.7% higher muzzle velocity.

it’s my first ported barrel and it really fouls terribly. How do to clean it without spending all day? I soaked it for three hours and it was still a difficult job.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The issues that you are experiencing may well be due to weak ammunition. If you want to keep shooting that brand of ammunition, then you may want to try a recoil spring with a different rating than the stock spring.

I am a fan of porting handguns, and have done it to guns like the Walther PPQ 5" below with great success.. You can also check out the many videos that Jerry Miculek has done showing that he ports many of his firearms, including the M&P.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a lot going on. I think weak ammunition was part of it. When it was new, there was no vertical barrel play at slide lock. S&W polished the barrel and chamber and replaced the locking block . Now there is a little vertical play at slide lock.
It might need a little breaking in too.

How do you clean the barrel? How does it foul the outside with a stubborn residue, but not the lands and grooves so terribly?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
There was a lot going on. I think weak ammunition was part of it. When it was new, there was no vertical barrel play at slide lock. S&W polished the barrel and chamber and replaced the locking block . Now there is a little vertical play at slide lock.
It might need a little breaking in too.

How do you clean the barrel? How does it foul the outside with a stubborn residue, but not the lands and grooves so terribly?
“Vertical play at slide lock” is meaningless, so nothing to worry about.

If you can’t get fouling off your barrel, either inside or outside; get a better bore cleaner.

The only ported barrel I have is in a PC Shield 9, and I have no trouble cleaning it at all.

My M&P9s will run 1500+ rounds without cleaning, so, unless you’re using yours for carry; perhaps you’re a bit too concerned about keeping it squeaky clean?

That said; I do clean my carry guns everytime they get shot.

Don’t sweat the small stuff, and keep shooting the hell out of your pistol. You’ll learn more about it as you go along; and things will sort themselves out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
“Vertical play at slide lock” is meaningless, so nothing to worry about.

If you can’t get fouling off your barrel, either inside or outside; get a better bore cleaner.

The only ported barrel I have is in a PC Shield 9, and I have no trouble cleaning it at all.

My M&P9s will run 1500+ rounds without cleaning, so, unless you’re using yours for carry; perhaps you’re a bit too concerned about keeping it squeaky clean?

That said; I do clean my carry guns everytime they get shot.

Don’t sweat the small stuff, and keep shooting the hell out of your pistol. You’ll learn more about it as you go along; and things will sort themselves out.
Thanks Rick,

I’m not worried now that there is vertical play. There wasn’t any when it was new. I believe the contact between barrel and slide created just enough friction to slow the action down an cause my malfunctions. Anyway, there’s more play now and it’s functioning much better.
Maybe Blazer will run fine after running a few hundred rounds through the gun. My old CORE ingested it just fine, so it’s probably the porting.
As to the barrel, it’s stainless and it just looks filthy and doesn’t clean up easily. Maybe my OC will wear off and I’ll learn to accept it. If the barrel were black, I might not even notice it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I buy M-Pro 7 by the gallon and soak my barrels overnight in it and clean them the next morning; they clean up like new with very little effort. I used to do the same thing with Hoppes, but the wife couldn’t handle the smell. Both work fine after soaking.

Porting doesn’t do much for a 4.25” 9mm handgun. But I doubt its causing any issues with the ammo; its probably the Blazer ammo. For cheap range ammo try the Sellier & Bellot, or WWB and you will know. I’ve never had any issues with WWB for range ammo; in anything. When I’ve had issues; its been the gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m loaded up with Seller & Bellot and will try it at a class Saturday. I’ll have my M1.0 as a backup. Now that S&W has reworked it, I’m pretty confident it is the Blazer. The velocity is 1145fps and most others seem to be over 1200fps. With 115g bullets anyway.

I’ll try an overnight soak in Hoppes and look into M-Pro 7. My wife hasn’t complained about No.9 yet. Cant figure out why she hasn’t.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I’m loaded up with Seller & Bellot and will try it at a class Saturday. I’ll have my M1.0 as a backup. Now that S&W has reworked it, I’m pretty confident it is the Blazer. The velocity is 1145fps and most others seem to be over 1200fps. With 115g bullets anyway.

I’ll try an overnight soak in Hoppes and look into M-Pro 7. My wife hasn’t complained about No.9 yet. Cant figure out why she hasn’t.
Buy some Winchester white box or federal bulk to use at the class, if that works sell the S&B and buy whatever you find that works. Selling ammo right now (at least 9mm and .45) is easy because there isn't much available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have WWB on hand, some Fiocchi, and Rem Range. S&B is 1280fps and WWB 1225fps. So I was thinking S&B to play it safer and start shopping for WWB when I can test after class.
S&B jackets are more zinc and less copper. I’m not sure I like that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have WWB on hand, some Fiocchi, and Rem Range. S&B is 1280fps and WWB 1225fps. So I was thinking S&B to play it safer and start shopping for WWB when I can test after class.
S&B jackets are more zinc and less copper. I’m not sure I like that.
You shouldn’t get locked in on velocity, it didn’t have anything to do with your FTE’s. You won’t see a difference in 100 FPS.
If the problem persists, send it back again. I know its disappointing to have to do that; I’ve had to do it. But I expect my Smith & Wesson guns to fire right out of the box with quality ammo. If they don’t; they go back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You shouldn’t get locked in on velocity, it didn’t have anything to do with your FTE’s. You won’t see a difference in 100 FPS.
If the problem persists, send it back again. I know its disappointing to have to do that; I’ve had to do it. But I expect my Smith & Wesson guns to fire right out of the box with quality ammo. If they don’t; they go back.
I wouldn’t normally, but the improvement has been obvious. The two FTEs seem like they might be due to marginally low energy. Both casings were trapped horizontally between the barrel and slide. It’s like they barely didn’t have enough umph.
I was figuring to use Ammo with a bit more energy to see whether there’s a difference. Sometimes it’s the particular Ammo.
Blazer Brass also had a warning on the box not to use on ported guns. Their rep said they have removed that warning.
There’s talk that it’s plated and can spall and that’s the reason not to use it. Either way, I think I owe it to S&W to run some different ammo through it prior to shipping it back.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I wouldn’t normally, but the improvement has been obvious. The two FTEs seem like they might be due to marginally low energy. Both casings were trapped horizontally between the barrel and slide. It’s like they barely didn’t have enough umph.
I wa figuring yo use Ammo with a bit more energy to see whether there’s a difference. Sometimes it’s the particular Ammo.
Either way, I think I owe it to S&W to run some different ammo through it prior to shipping it back.
Sure, you need to check it out before sending it back. I have a Shield that had FTE’s right out of the box with WWB. WWB is the Gold standard ;) of the cheap range ammo, if a gun can’t shoot it reliably; the gun won't sell.

Blazer Brass also had a warning on the box not to use on ported guns. Their rep said they have removed that warning.
There’s talk that it’s plated and can spall and that’s the reason not to use it.
That speaks volumes. I think CCI Mini-Mag is the best rimfire ammo there is; it works in every rimfire I own. But I think their Blazer brass is junk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to have a ported 4.25” Performance Center 1.0 and fouling at the ports was a bit stubborn, but I found was a lot easier to clean if I could specifically address the port fouling immediately after shooting the gun. Even if I was short on time and could not clean the entire pistol right away, I would still pull the barrel out, clean the the ports, and get the barrel started with soaking in the M-Pro 7. However, all said, I agree with Rick M. Just get it the best that you can and don’t sweat it. M&P is a very robust pistol...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used to have a ported 4.25” Performance Center 1.0 and fouling at the ports was a bit stubborn, but I found was a lot easier to clean if I could specifically address the port fouling immediately after shooting the gun. Even if I was short on time and could not clean the entire pistol right away, I would still pull the barrel out, clean the the ports, and get the barrel started with soaking in the M-Pro 7. However, all said, I agree with Rick M. Just get it the best that you can and don’t sweat it. M&P is a very robust pistol...
I found that stainless metal polish might do a nice job, but I’ll more likely stop obsessing. I’ve read (rarely) that applying grease can make clean up easier.
I’ve never been a fan of grease, but this might be an exception.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts