MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hear from those that have shot a Shield that was either ported or had a comp and a regular standard Shield. I want to know if there is a noticeable difference between them. If you have shot all three, which do you like best?

I know a 4" gun in 9mm with a comp and 4" with porting will shoot noticeably faster than one without, I've never had access to a shorter barrel gun with those modifications to compare, is why I'm asking.

If you have not shot one of these, please refrain from posting, mainly because I don't care what you think might happen.

I'm aware of the "night vision" myths and the you'll burn yourself from the gasses stories, but I don't care to see that stuff regurgitated here.
First hand knowledge only PLEASE!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a brand new M&P Shield Plus with a a ported barrel on order right now.. As soon as I have a chance to shoot it I'll let you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to hear from those that have shot a Shield that was either ported or had a comp and a regular standard Shield. I want to know if there is a noticeable difference between them. If you have shot all three, which do you like best?

I know a 4" gun in 9mm with a comp and 4" with porting will shoot noticeably faster than one without, I've never had access to a shorter barrel gun with those modifications to compare, is why I'm asking.

If you have not shot one of these, please refrain from posting, mainly because I don't care what you think might happen.

I'm aware of the "night vision" myths and the you'll burn yourself from the gasses stories, but I don't care to see that stuff regurgitated here.
First hand knowledge only PLEASE!
I have a shield 9mmez that is ported and a regular 9mm shield . The ez is much easier to shoot but some of that may be the different spring it has. The barrel stays down quite a bit better with the porting though.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a shield 9mmez that is ported and a regular 9mm shield . The ez is much easier to shoot but some of that may be the different spring it has. The barrel stays down quite a bit better with the porting though.
I'm not sure if that's an equal comparison. The EZ is setup different, has a longer barrel, hammer fired, etc.

Thank you though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
We have a couple. Both 1.0 models.

One is a PC model, ported barrel/slide, night sights, decent trigger. The other is a pretty much standard 1.0 that only has night sights on it.

We shoot 115 grain hollow points on top of a compressed powder charge of Blue Dot powder. Very accurate in both.

I can't tell the difference in recoil from one to the other.

In my 5" M&P 9MM with the PC ported barrel and slide, with the same loads, I can tell the difference. Night and day.

Not sure why I don't notice it in the Shields.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have a couple. Both 1.0 models.

One is a PC model, ported barrel/slide, night sights, decent trigger. The other is a pretty much standard 1.0 that only has night sights on it.

We shoot 115 grain hollow points on top of a compressed powder charge of Blue Dot powder. Very accurate in both.

I can't tell the difference in recoil from one to the other.

In my 5" M&P 9MM with the PC ported barrel and slide, with the same loads, I can tell the difference. Night and day.

Not sure why I don't notice it in the Shields.
This is what I was concerned about, I'm thinking the shorter barrel might be the reason you can't tell the difference.

I ran a 4" Glock with a comp using 124gr factory ammo in competition a couple months ago and did notice a difference over a stock Glock of the same size (I borrowed both guns as I'm not a Glock guy). I ran the same course of fire with both guns and was faster and scored slightly higher with the compensated gun.

Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have both Gen 1s, the ported Performance Center and a standard. Frankly I don't see much difference in muzzle flip but the ported gun gets a lot dirtier. Not a big deal. But the Performance Center trigger pull and fiber optic sights are significantly better and worth the difference in price.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have both Gen 1s, the ported Performance Center and a standard. Frankly I don't see much difference in muzzle flip but the ported gun gets a lot dirtier. Not a big deal. But the Performance Center trigger pull and fiber optic sights are significantly better and worth the difference in price.
Great information, thank you.
I have a shop here local that does action jobs and milling for optics, so I'd have either version actions and sights replaced.

I was mainly concerned with the muzzle flip or lack of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts