MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can look down the barrel of my broken M&P .45 and see out the back of the slide cover plate... and in reverse, you can look below the slide cover plate and look down the barrel... I was watching Bourne Identity through the barrel of my gun (fully assembled). While I was doing this, my fiancee was singing (STARING DOWN THE BARREL OF A 45, 45... :roll: )

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else has this issue and if it was a problem...

Oh, and as a side-note, my slide is lifted off the frame enough to fit the side of the 'small' handgrip underneath the front part (where the rail is) between the frame and slide, and it looks like I have at least a mm or two of gap everywhere else. Also, it looks like the rear sight of the gun was EXTREMELY POORLY made... there is a piece of metal that sticks out at least a mm past where the sight is out over the slide (as if it wasn't filed down or anything... like it was attached to a bigger piece of metal and they snapped it off and never removed the edges where it was attached). Amazing what you'll find just looking over the gun. As well, I just noticed that the rear sight looks like it was extremely poorly placed on the slide and on the right side, the insert that holds it on the gun is not level what-so-ever (the rear is noticeably higher then the front part, and it looks like the metal is actually work down and gnawed at by something.

This kinda pisses me off, and at this point, I want to call Smith and Wesson and say "screw sending the gun in for repairs, send me a new one."

Any suggestions and/or comments? I'm going to try and take a video of it, because I have no actual camera, just a Canon Elura 100 digi-vidcam. Anyways... thanks for reading this.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I can't think of a single pistol I own that I can't look down the barrel and see light coming through the gaps in the back. And replace the rear sight with a better aftermarket one - factory sights suck period.

All the things you mentioned are things you should have noticed before purchasing the gun.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
josh said:
I can't think of a single pistol I own that I can't look down the barrel and see light coming through the gaps in the back. And replace the rear sight with a better aftermarket one - factory sights suck period.

All the things you mentioned are things you should have noticed before purchasing the gun.

Yea, I know, but I was actually looking at another one when I bought it, and was buying one for my dad and myself. So, having owned S&Ws before, I felt it would be a good product no matter what. So I admit 100% it was kind of a compulsory buy... "I want this one in a 45, and i'll take 2." I got burned and I recognize that now... saddly it is from a gun I truly liked firing and picking up.

Also, I haven't seen through the back on semis i've handled. Either that, or i've never noticed it... I grew up with revolvers and rifles, so my knowledge of semis is admittingly pretty low, although i've fired several different Glocks and Rugers recently while trying to decide on what I wanted/needed in a concealed carry weapon. So I honestly wouldn't have guessed there would be that much visible out of the back end.... I think my first gun to fire was a .44 magnum when I was still in the single digits in age (my dad is a dick
) and it has been rifles and revolvers since then... so now that I got to actually looking at it, I kinda freaked out. So yea, if that is true, I feel stupid, and I really didn't know... like I said, it has all been revolvers and rifles since I first started with guns... hence why I joined this forum.

Here are some pictures:

Extra metal on sight:

Uneven sight:

Slide lift:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Looks to me like you got a bad rear sight. I can't see anything else in the pics (blurry). Send it in to S&W and they will take care of it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts