MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's my full size 9 in a Comp-tac Infidel. I got all the different mounts for the Infidel and love all the options it provides. A vest or jacket finishes it off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is it very hard to reach around that far?

I'm almost 55 and have some arthritis and have been thinking about my first IWB holster but............

Would a left hand version work easier? That way, my palm would be out when I reach behind. Just thinking out load

·
Registered
16 Posts
roadrat52 said:
Is it very hard to reach around that far?
Not at all. No more difficult than reaching the wallet in the back pocket.

roadrat52 said:
Would a left hand version work easier?
As far as left hand versus right hand draw just depends on preference, what your comfortable with, which is you dominate hand when you shoot, what orientation have you been drawing from with your current holsters, etc. Too many variables to make a blanket statement of yes or no. For myself I'm right handed, keep my wallet in the right pocket, it felt the most natural for me to have a right hand draw. Find a gun store with a left and right hand draw holster of the same model and a staff willing to let you try both to see what seems most natural to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm 60 with some arthritis problems in my hands as well. With the style of draw you describe I can't get clear of the holster with out my finger being much to close to the trigger. I'm afraid I'll blow my own tail off, or worse hurt some one else.

I find just behind the point of my right hip to be fine with practice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe the picture is deceiving or something, after all I did take a picture of myself which was a pretty humorous sight to see according my wife
, but the holster is at my 4-5 o'clock position just behind the point of my right hip. The belt loop on the jeans to the right of the holster is my 3 o'clock.

Really it isn't any more difficult to draw my gun than it is to draw my wallet. The local gun shop/range owner and all his employees carry at the 5 o'clock position, which is where I picked up the habit, and pretty much anyone else I've seen draw from holster at the local range. Don't know if you watch the shooting shows on the outdoor channel on Wednesdays but from what I've watched seems like most of the folks on those shows including Massad Ayoob on Personal Defense TV carry at the 4-5 o'clock position also.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where that is positioned, for me, doesn't feel comfortable on my right shoulder, fine for my left though. Odd thing is that I'm right handed. Middle of my back seems more comfortable.

Any more people with pictures? 11/1 o'clock positions? Shoulder holsters?

·
Registered
367 Posts
my only concern about 4-5 oclock is that it would be very uncomfortable when sitting. I carry at 9 oclock right now because it's most comfortable and I can get a decent draw from it. The main reason is that I am using a generic holster for another type of gun and that is one of the two places it works at all. 2-3 and 9. Yes I will post pics when I get home. I dont think the boss man would let me use the company camera to take a pic of my carry setup in the office. In fact, I'm not even going to ask... :?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here are a couple with my M&P .40c and the Comp-tac Infidel holster.

Ron

·
Registered
367 Posts
hey ron, does that position make sitting in the car uncomfortable at all? I carried mine for a second yesterday strongside (bout 3 o clock) and the butt hit the seat back causing a little discomfort. Just wondering.

I'm thinking about getting a Ctac too. I'm still on the fence about the Kydex though. My current IWB holster is soft so I can leave it on while the gun stays in the car and it disappears completely. The Kydex seems a lot safer though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's exactly where I wear all my IWB's. Just behind the point of the hip. I find it so comfortable I forget it's even there. It is difficult to reach when belted in the driver's seat though.

I also have several Coronado Vests, I find to be very comfy, and easy acess.

·
Registered
471 Posts
johndoe1027, I find it very comfortable there. I feel it when I first sit down in the car and then pretty much forget it is there.

Ron

1 - 20 of 40 Posts