MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but wanted to check with all on the forum on this. Following my "trigger job" by following the well known sear modifications I ran into the following: first shot fires no problem, trigger does not reset and the slide must be jacked to reset, and so on.

My guess is that I took to much off the trigger reset area on the sear and it will need to be replaced. Has anyone else had this issue and was the problem in fact the sear? Does anyone know who I might be able to get a replacement sear from besides S&W (they do not sound very cooperative).

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Unfortunately it sounds like you took off too much. I bought a sear from the M&P Store a few months back, I know they are hard to keep in stock. PM Jester and he will try to get one for you asap. Good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is it just me, or should we all be leaving our M&P triggers alone? I would think that S&W designed the trigger to be the best overall, and after a reasonable break-in period, it is probably as good as it's going to get, and still be reliable. The design of the M&P was never meant to have a "target" trigger, and trying to make it behave as one is a compromise to reliability.

·
Registered
495 Posts
TAC said:
Is it just me, or should we all be leaving our M&P triggers alone? I would think that S&W designed the trigger to be the best overall, and after a reasonable break-in period, it is probably as good as it's going to get, and still be reliable. The design of the M&P was never meant to have a "target" trigger, and trying to make it behave as one is a compromise to reliability.

It's just you. Maybe though one should proceed a little more cautiously. The old measure twice, cut once sure seems to apply here.

·
Registered
259 Posts
UPSguy said:
It's just you. Maybe though one should proceed a little more cautiously. The old measure twice, cut once sure seems to apply here.
like UPS said, Yup it's just you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's definately just you. That's exactly what the first "originalist" 1911 guys probably said about that pistol, and now look at it. Nothing is designed perfect the first time.

But...

It does make me wonder if mine will do that too.......

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm all about tweaking, and tuning actions and triggers. But if you want something like that, you don't start with an M&P. The M&P is exactly what it's name implies. It's a handgun designed for the military and police, rough service, and reliability.

By the nature of it's design, it will never be a fine target gun. That's like trying to convert a Jeep Wrangler into a Cadillac Escalade!

·
Registered
65 Posts
TAC said:
I'm all about tweaking, and tuning actions and triggers. But if you want something like that, you don't start with an M&P. The M&P is exactly what it's name implies. It's a handgun designed for the military and police, rough service, and reliability.

By the nature of it's design, it will never be a fine target gun. That's like trying to convert a Jeep Wrangler into a Cadillac Escalade!

I'm gonna have to call BS on this. While TAC is certainly entitled to his opinion, not improving a handgun just because it has M+P in the name is just goofy.

The original Glock 17 was designed as a service pistol and now that same design is highly modified and wins in competitions everywhere.

JMB's original 1911 design was a rough tough service pistol that was loose as a goose and rattled when you shook it. With a few modifications it seems to be winning matches without any problems.

And I'm willing to bet that there are a few modded Wrangers that will beat the pants off an Escalade.

I'm not sure if the OP's intent was to make his M+P into a "fine target gun" but anything that improves his ability to shoot with it is well worth the effort. Many M+P shooters, myself included, have worked on or had work done on their triggers with no reliablilty issues at all.

To say that service pistols shouldn't be tuned and tweaked is pretty...ah...goofy.

Gringop

·
Registered
17 Posts
Who wants it to be a fine target gun. That's what Anshutz is for. That's who I'd call if I wanted a fine "Target Gun".

I'm sure we'll all agree that the M&P could easily be the "next big thing" in IDPA or other types of speed shooting competitions. (Once they start making a 5 inch model anyway).

In order for this pistol to get to that level it will have to be tweaked as are every pistol in those classes to be competitive.

Don't fall in line with the 'Old Soldiers' whom once said the M-16 will never be as good as the M-14. After all, we all know how that story ends.

·
Registered
434 Posts
trigger job vs. muscular adaptation

after 1000 rounds of work out my phalanges got hypertrophied that i don't need a trigger job

·
Registered
673 Posts
TAC said:

Yea, didn't like the trigger so followed the mod's from Dan and it's very nice now, even done mods to the pre travel...

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...&highlight=

8) 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was simply trying to smooth out that 6.5lb trigger down to something in the 4.5 to 5 lb range - not like a 2.5lb target trigger.

Anyway the the first round of trigger work went just fine, trigger broke clean, no reset issues at all. The problem started after the second round. I was wanting the trigger to break just a llittle later but apparently went to far. I also learned a valuable lesson about checking the trigger reset. While checking the operation after doing some work on the sear it is a good idea to dry fire it, HOLD THE TRIGGER BACK, pull the slide back and then let the slide slowly come forward. You should be able to feel the bump from the trigger resetting. Unfortunately I did not learn this until after the second round of work on the sear and new the trigger was not resetting. I was just cycling the slide and dry firing without holding the trigger back as I went to check operation. Maybe this little tip will help someone else so they don't end up like me - trying to find the elusive M&P sear to replace the botched one.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
PH,

The sears are not hard to find. Hurray! I ordered a sear this morning and a firing pin block by calling Smith & Wesson directly and talking to the parts dept (Larry.) The sears are only $2 each with $5 shipping. Their processing in shipping is a little slow though, took 16 days for them to send me a couple springs and roll pins last month. Will see how this order comes through...make sure you

ask them for your order # so you can call later to track it if you want to.

Another option on ordering the sears...

Jester's M&P Store has sears in stock as of yesterday morning, are more expensive ($5.95 each) but the shipping is faster if you want the part quickly as most people do. I put in a order for a couple sears Saturday at the M&P store here, mailed yesterday (Monday) and they will arrive at my home this week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info Jeff,

I have placed and order with the M&P store for a new sear. I also ordered a new plunger assembly as well - just in case.

Thanks again....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Welcome.

I might just put the gun back together with the stock parts when they come in the mail and leave it alone. My trigger is not resetting also on every slide return and the gun is too unreliable at this point. Maybe once in 30 dry fires the trigger may not re-set.

If you read Dan's instructions closely (I have also PMed him a few times) on Sear Modification for reduced trigger weight.."Make sure you cut along the top of the sear so that the striker does not drag across the top." Mine is dragging, you can see the drag marks if you mark the striker with a black sharpie pen. Trigger may not be resetting b/c of this reason and I don't have enough over travel across the sear. I'm taking my sear down slowly with a honing stone, checking with a micrometer and reassemble it to test several times.

·
Registered
130 Posts
SSG_BROOSE said:
Who wants it to be a fine target gun. That's what Anshutz is for. That's who I'd call if I wanted a fine "Target Gun".

I'm sure we'll all agree that the M&P could easily be the "next big thing" in IDPA or other types of speed shooting competitions. (Once they start making a 5 inch model anyway).

In order for this pistol to get to that level it will have to be tweaked as are every pistol in those classes to be competitive.

Don't fall in line with the 'Old Soldiers' whom once said the M-16 will never be as good as the M-14. After all, we all know how that story ends.

I know your not trying to do the old "there is no more debate" thing are you? First off the 16 and 14 are two different critters. To say we know how the story ends.... well, do some research and you will find that even today in Iraq there are certain units trading out their 16s and m4s for......M14's. Depends on what your doing with-it, but this is a different thread but I had to comment.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I smell poo-poo in this thread;

like the 1911, right? thats a combat handgun, what in the world are 1911 smiths trying to make them shoot 1" groups at 50yds? Theyll never do this. :?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts