MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to work up a load using Precision's 147 bullet for my M&P, XD-9, and EAA limited. I've run into problems with this bullet at the OAL that I normally load my Zero's to so I did an experiment. I checked the bullet to rifling distance and with this bullet, the OAL on the M&P was 1.097, the XD-1.095, and the EAA at 1.093. My original OAL I loaded was 1.120 and my slides weren't going into battery on some shots. I loaded them to 1.090, and 1.100 and had no problems. When I called the guy at Precision he said his customers or loading them to 1.120. I don't believe this to be true. What OAL are ya'll using with this bullet? Also what gun/barrel you are using. I've not found this bullet to be as accurate as I had hoped. I tried several powders and not happy with this bullet. My EAA that normally shoots any bullet in an inch or less (.58" best at 25yds with Zero 147's 3.6grs of Tightgroup, and an OAL of 1.150"), wouldn't group this bullet in less than 2-3 inches.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I loaded them to 1.14" because they ran fine in my Beretta at that length...and then found that they don't run in my CZ-75B (too long). I hate learning like that, but I still do it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I had a similar issue in a 1911 with the bullets when I shortened them up they ran fine and were very accurate in that gun.

M&Ps don't play well with 147s the twist rate is just barely able to stablize the long bullet, so what happens is they will not hold a tight spiral for a very long distance and will start to wobble.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going back to 124's

Once my current supply of 147's run out, I'm switching to 124-125's. I prefer a little more snappiness of the 124's over the sluggish 147's. Since I can't get Zero's I'll be going back to Precision Delta's. My XD tactical, and M&P will be glad. Hopefully after the Shot Show, S&W will release the Pro. I'm getting one in 9mm and .45.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Just keep in mind that as you seat the bullets deeper in the case, the pressures can go up substantially, even a moderate load can be too hot if it's too short.

My experience, I had been shooting 200 gr SWC in 45 acp for many years, the powder charge was 5.0 gr of WW231, this was the listed starting load, I had loaded and shot thousands of those. I got some Rainier 200 gr SWC plated bullets, I didn't know how to treat them, but the 5 gr of WW231 was a mild load with either lead or jacketed bullets, so I loaded up a couple of hundred, I used the same OAL I had always used with that load, there was no specific info for plated bullets at the time. Went to shoot some of them, they were blowing a lot of the primers right out of the cases, the cases were ruined, the primer pockets were stretched to the point they wouldn't even hold the primers anymore. What in the heck is going on? I started trying lower powder charges, I had to drop down to around 4.0 gr to get them to work right, I loaded up the balance of those bullets with the lower powder charge, but it always stayed on my mind, what was going on? The OAL hadn't even entered my mind, it had worked perfectly with the cast lead bullets.

A couple of years ago I was over on Brian Eno's website, there were a lot of guys with a tremendous amount of experience, I had been loading for over 30 years and it stumped me! So I related my experience with those bullets and asked for feedback, the consensus was they were probably too short, maybe those bullets were longer than the others that I had used...

I found out that Rainier finally had put loading info on their website, don't bother looking now, they have taken it off their website now, they just say to use lead bullet data, but that is exactly what I had done! I had about 20 of those bullets leftover, and I loaded them to the OAL that Rainier recommended online, and they worked fine! I don't know what OAL I had been using before, but it came out of a loading book for lead bullet loads, I was using the MINIMUM charge for that bullet in that caliber, but with the Rainier it was too hot! So the OAL of a load can be very important, and just seating a bullet deeper isn't always as simple as it seems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OAL data

I worked up my loads after measuring the OAL to rifling on each of my guns with the 147gr bullet. The data showed that for every .010 I reduced OAL, I had to reduce the powder chg by .1grs. I used a Digital Pro Chrono. The test was interesting. I looked at a Lyman 48 edition manual at the gun show today, they showed and OAL of 1.058 with a starting load of 2.6 gr. of T.G. My load I settled on is 3.3 of T. G. at 1.100. I'll experiment some more when I get som IMR 7625 powder in next week, but I'm still planning on switching to 124-125 wt. bullets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts