MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my fellow brothers.



Ok, my wife and I have been debating if it wouild be safe to shoot with me while pregant......Having a little girl!!! I am a happy man, and just want to get some insight.



I have read some people say its ok, while others say not to try it. Some LE women have went through training and had no problems what so ever. But either if its ok or not, my understanding is it is all factual.



Have any of your pregnant wives/girlfriends delivered ok with no problems??



I am just a soon to be father, and would appreciate any thoughts on this topic. I know its really a choice, because there is no real evidence of it being harmful.



Anyway I could ramble on forever. If anyone has any feedback feel free to chime in.



Thanks fellas/ladies!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
The only harm I can think of would be the ingestion of lead in the air but that probably wouldn't matter if you're shooting outside.



As far as noise go those little ones are very well protected so I don't think it would be an issue.



However, you might want to use this as an excuse...err...opportunity to buy a suppressor :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
m4arc said:
The only harm I can think of would be the ingestion of lead in the air but that probably wouldn't matter if you're shooting outside.



As far as noise go those little ones are very well protected so I don't think it would be an issue.



However, you might want to use this as an excuse...err...opportunity to buy a suppressor :twisted:


Ha Ha
Nicely put brother. Will be sure to use that "excuse" to buy the suppressor....LMAO



Thanks M4ARC!!!!! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,771 Posts
Mrs. M4arc teaches classes for expecting parents so I'll ask her tonight and let you know what she says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
m4arc said:
Mrs. M4arc teaches classes for expecting parents so I'll ask her tonight and let you know what she says.


Excellent, can I get that in writting for my wife.....hahahahaha



Thanks again m4arc!! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,062 Posts
From a OB/GYN at the High Road:



Doc

Senior Member



Join Date: 04-19-03

Location: Grosse Ile, Michigan

Posts: 458



shooting while pregnant

to my fellow THR colleagues,

it is easy to find opinions;

wisdom is harder to come by.



i thought i learned my lesson previously. [right, Pax?]

suffice it to say that i am indeed an OB/GYN (no, really)

(my contact info is below, feel free to verify).

and a shooter--

i have other creds as well, but i doubt they make any difference...





as Juna points out



This is something they don't really teach in medical school. Many physicians aren't familiar with the risks b/c they're completely ignorant about shooting. So unless you find an OB/GYN who's encountered the situation before, you're not likely to get a great answer.



The risks, as you mentioned, would be lead exposure and possibly noise.


i have encountered the situation of pregnant women shooting many times before.

and i must be able to assess risk to the mom & fetus; its what i do



many physicians are ignorant about guns and shooting: true.

most physicians have little interest or training in teratogenics: true

(they have little use for the information;

except OB/GYNs who must asses risks for moms -teratogenic or otherwise-).

many physicians 'err on the side of caution' and recommend against

possibly situations of which they have little knowledge or understanding:

true, and correctly so.



ionized lead in large quantities is teratogenic, especially if ingested.

shooters ALREADY have lead in their systems; stable & unionized, mostly bound to bone.

lead is not cleared if a prenant woman stop shooting for, say, 9 months.

with normal precautions (hand washing, etc) the incremental increase in

exposure to lead from shooting and the resultant risk is infinitesimal.

(so pregnant moms can shoot from the lead risk perspective.

however, prenant moms can also certainly shoot 'green' lead free ammo

and forgo ANY risk and contraversy in that regard)



though sound is well transmitted through water or air,

it is not amplified in water but dissapates just like in air.

sound, however is VERY POORLY transmitted across interfaces of differing materials.

hence, the sound recieved by the fetus is not at a level near that

of the shooter. (i have used the swimming pool analogy which TommyGun cites many times.

i usually use a hot tub with the jets on...bear in mind, too, that the uterine environment is not silent.)



further there are many exponentially louder environments wherein

pregnant women are exposed to prolonged high sound pressure levels

(stamping plants, baggage/cargo loading on airport tarmac)

so since women can work in the factory or on the tarmac with only

ear protection for themselves and no prohibition from OHSA or

other safety authorities, it is safe for women to shoot from the noise perspective.



The thread in which I previously posted on this topic at length is:



http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...t=72938&page=2



I would be happy to e-corresond or speak to you by phone to address any of your fears and concerns.



Sincerely,



doc



[email protected]



Peter L. Stevenson, MD FACOG

Assoc Clinical Professor

Wayne State University

School of Medicine

Detroit, Michigan



313.278.3900 (office)


Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very useful, I forwarded it to my wife at work, she works in a hospital.....so hopefully she isnt surrounded by other women while reading this....LMAo



Thanks for the info CB!!!



choochboost said:
From a OB/GYN at the High Road:



Doc

Senior Member



Join Date: 04-19-03

Location: Grosse Ile, Michigan

Posts: 458



shooting while pregnant

to my fellow THR colleagues,

it is easy to find opinions;

wisdom is harder to come by.



i thought i learned my lesson previously. [right, Pax?]

suffice it to say that i am indeed an OB/GYN (no, really)

(my contact info is below, feel free to verify).

and a shooter--

i have other creds as well, but i doubt they make any difference...





as Juna points out



This is something they don't really teach in medical school. Many physicians aren't familiar with the risks b/c they're completely ignorant about shooting. So unless you find an OB/GYN who's encountered the situation before, you're not likely to get a great answer.



The risks, as you mentioned, would be lead exposure and possibly noise.


i have encountered the situation of pregnant women shooting many times before.

and i must be able to assess risk to the mom & fetus; its what i do



many physicians are ignorant about guns and shooting: true.

most physicians have little interest or training in teratogenics: true

(they have little use for the information;

except OB/GYNs who must asses risks for moms -teratogenic or otherwise-).

many physicians 'err on the side of caution' and recommend against

possibly situations of which they have little knowledge or understanding:

true, and correctly so.



ionized lead in large quantities is teratogenic, especially if ingested.

shooters ALREADY have lead in their systems; stable & unionized, mostly bound to bone.

lead is not cleared if a prenant woman stop shooting for, say, 9 months.

with normal precautions (hand washing, etc) the incremental increase in

exposure to lead from shooting and the resultant risk is infinitesimal.

(so pregnant moms can shoot from the lead risk perspective.

however, prenant moms can also certainly shoot 'green' lead free ammo

and forgo ANY risk and contraversy in that regard)



though sound is well transmitted through water or air,

it is not amplified in water but dissapates just like in air.

sound, however is VERY POORLY transmitted across interfaces of differing materials.

hence, the sound recieved by the fetus is not at a level near that

of the shooter. (i have used the swimming pool analogy which TommyGun cites many times.

i usually use a hot tub with the jets on...bear in mind, too, that the uterine environment is not silent.)



further there are many exponentially louder environments wherein

pregnant women are exposed to prolonged high sound pressure levels

(stamping plants, baggage/cargo loading on airport tarmac)

so since women can work in the factory or on the tarmac with only

ear protection for themselves and no prohibition from OHSA or

other safety authorities, it is safe for women to shoot from the noise perspective.



The thread in which I previously posted on this topic at length is:



http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...t=72938&page=2



I would be happy to e-corresond or speak to you by phone to address any of your fears and concerns.



Sincerely,



doc



[email protected]



Peter L. Stevenson, MD FACOG

Assoc Clinical Professor

Wayne State University

School of Medicine

Detroit, Michigan



313.278.3900 (office)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can totally respect that brother, that was one of the main reasons I posted this topic, just to get every angle covered before I even though about taking her with us.



I respect that 100%
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
finalfusion said:
I can totally respect that brother, that was one of the main reasons I posted this topic, just to get every angle covered before I even though about taking her with us.



I respect that 100%


yes, keep in mind that the OB/GYN from the high road is actually saying that if you already have a lead load.. you won't do any further harm to your baby. However if you do not have a lead load from shooting, use non-tox ammo and good ventilation. SO if your wife isn't a shooter or has not had other exposure to lead, you will be increasing the lead exposure if you go shooting with normal ammo.



Of course you can always just get a particulate filter respirator rated for lead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
My brother is an OB/Gyn and he pretty much stated the same thing as the doc quoted above. My wife, while not as avid a shooter as I try to be, and I chose to go the safe route with no shooting for her and me doing my best to not bring stuff into the house. Given our age, difficulty, costly... it was for us to get pregnant in the first place, we chose to be extra careful. In the long run, I think it all depends on your situation and what you are truly comfortable with. To go 10 months without shooting is nothing compared to the years of self doubt... if things dont go as planned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TAZ said:
My brother is an OB/Gyn and he pretty much stated the same thing as the doc quoted above. My wife, while not as avid a shooter as I try to be, and I chose to go the safe route with no shooting for her and me doing my best to not bring stuff into the house. Given our age, difficulty, costly... it was for us to get pregnant in the first place, we chose to be extra careful. In the long run, I think it all depends on your situation and what you are truly comfortable with. To go 10 months without shooting is nothing compared to the years of self doubt... if things dont go as planned.


Yeah, I am leaning towards not doing it. I shoot down by the creek by my old mans house. And my wife has been exposed to lead if you want to consider in I have had guns and ammo in the house before she got pregno, but she never shot before pregno......So I think I will just play it safe, and just wait 3 more months, until my daughter is born and then go!!!! Cant wait, she finally gave in and wants to get into guns/shooting. So 3 months wont hurt a bit!



Thanks Taz and to everyone that has replyed thus far!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
i would say no dont do it.she can pratice after baby comes.from moms belly to age 5 is most important,why chance it?they can hear in there.most of all keep the young one close.....real close because there is a bad world out there now.teach them well and love them they grow up way too fast.congrtats to you and wife
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tigs40cal said:
i would say no dont do it.she can pratice after baby comes.from moms belly to age 5 is most important,why chance it?they can hear in there.most of all keep the young one close.....real close because there is a bad world out there now.teach them well and love them they grow up way too fast.congrtats to you and wife


Tigs. Thanks for the kind words. And I have decided to hold off until she is born, then let grandma take her for the day and go have some fun....lol I have 2 other kids too. they sure grew quickly, you wherent joking there.....lol



Thanks again buddy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mikenkansas said:
Well, I don't know about much but I'll say this, don't even THINK about letting her handle one when she's in labor.


LMFAO.....now thats a thiught!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
The quote above from the OB/GYN "doc" Peter L. Stevenson, he was our OB/GYN. He knows his stuff, about both birthing babies and guns. You can trust what he says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
general lead exposure

Generally, could there be any problems with lead-exposure if you're plinking with rounds that are jacketed? like winchester white box and their copper coat (or is it brass?)?



Reason I ask, is that I used to work in a tire shop, and the weights used to balance wheels are generally made out of lead; sometimes coated in plastics. I know for sure that I've got lead deposits in my body (because, let's face it, with an hour for lunch and a 20 minute drive to town; you don't have time to pick under your nails), but I wonder if using jacketed rounds help prevent the amount of lead that is actually ingested (i.e. through the stomach, not inhaled) has any sort-of benefit towards preventing lead-borne maladies.



anyone else have thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: general lead exposure

KevinP said:
Generally, could there be any problems with lead-exposure if you're plinking with rounds that are jacketed? like winchester white box and their copper coat (or is it brass?)?



Reason I ask, is that I used to work in a tire shop, and the weights used to balance wheels are generally made out of lead; sometimes coated in plastics. I know for sure that I've got lead deposits in my body (because, let's face it, with an hour for lunch and a 20 minute drive to town; you don't have time to pick under your nails), but I wonder if using jacketed rounds help prevent the amount of lead that is actually ingested (i.e. through the stomach, not inhaled) has any sort-of benefit towards preventing lead-borne maladies.



anyone else have thoughts?


Kevin.....I wouldnt know personally, but alot of folks here know just about eberything you would want to know. Just be patient and someone will give you some info, if not post a new topic in general etc. Good question though!!!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top