MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the new carry kit with the M & P full size in 9mm. What do you do with this pistol before you shoot it for the first time? Do you take it down and grease the rails, oil the moving parts, etc. Or do you just go out after familiarization with the book and blast away?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
IMO disassemble and clean out any factory lube from the gun. re-lube according to the owners manual.

Also importnatly is to dissassemble and degrease the magazines. There is oil/preservative/grease or something on them form the factory and it attracts dirt like mad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I run a bore snake down the barrel to make sure there are no obstructions and then take it to the range and shoot the hell out of it. When I get home, I give a real good first clearning and proper lubrication.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The reason why you want to clean and lube before taking it to the range is because there is usually a bunch of crud in the pistol. Shooting the pistol may work the crud deeper into the internals. The grease that is found all over it is a corrosion inhibitor so that it can sit at the factory or gun shop for a year. It is not a lube for functioning.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
choochboost said:
The reason why you want to clean and lube before taking it to the range is because there is usually a bunch of crud in the pistol. Shooting the pistol may work the crud deeper into the internals. The grease that is found all over it is a corrosion inhibitor so that it can sit at the factory or gun shop for a year. It is not a lube for functioning.

+1

Avoid unecessary wear and problems by spending 15 minutes familiarizing yourself with your new tool/toy by simply cleaning it. Some of us break them down farther than others but as a minimum seperate the slide from the grip frame, remove the barrel and use spray solvent to remove oil, grease and crud from all parts. Use a bit of gun oil as indicated in the manual small amount of gun grease on slide contact points. Run a patch with Hoppes 9 or similar through the barrel followed by dry patches. After re assembly wipe with oily (Gun Oil) rag then wipe excess off.

After you shoot it clean it again then come back and tell us about how much fun you had.

Enjoy

:twisted:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts