MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have become a plastic gun pervert!!! Is it just me or are these plastic fantastics getting prettier? When I 1st got interested in pistols about six years ago the plastic guns didn't appeal much to me. My 1st handgun was a S & W 686PP revolver with a six inch barrel. Thought that was the prettiest gun I ever saw. I still think it's pretty but now all I want is the polymer pistols. We have a Baby Desert Eagle 9mm, a S & W SW9VE, a M & P 40 and a M & P 9mm compact. Now I can't wait to get a MP in 45 caliber. I like the looks of the Walther P99, the Beretta's, Rugers and the XD's. When Glocks start looking good to me I know I'll be in real trouble!!! :roll:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm a form follows function kind of guy. If it's necessary, and it works, it's beautiful. If it's not necessary, and it's just for looks, I don't like it. Polymer guns are beautiful to me because they're functional.

The Smith & Wesson M&P is particularly gorgeous.

The lines of the grip - allowing for 3 interchangable backstraps.

The profile of the front of the slide - smooth for better holstering.

The fish scales on the rear of the slide - increasing grip for loading and clearing.

Ever since I started shooting, I tend to think of the value of things, not in dollars, but in bullets. When I see a nice revolver or 1911 with a pristine finish and perfect scrollwork I think,

"WOW, THAT LOOKS AWESOME,

...but I could get 2000 rounds instead of that scrollwork,

...I could load 4000 rounds instead of having that nice finish,

...I'd rather have 4000 rounds,

...yeah, that gun's ok."

I like the functionality of my M&P so much, that I'm even starting to think the sear disconnect and mag safety are ok. I can see that they serve a function (the mag safety is still a PITA for competition, but for carry, it could come in handy to be able to disable the gun just by dropping the mag). Who knows?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm not totaly convinced on plastic guns. all my guns from past were metal. my Beretta is all steel gun. and served me all these years without single issue.

But my father is chemical engineer, and he tested reenforced polymer compond extensively when it first to appear for automotive use. and most do outlast metal i guess in both durability, and quality.

So will see how M&P would hold out. but my prognosis so far is pretty good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts