MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I just looked at one of the rounds in my PMAG and I noticed there was a light primer strike on the primer. When I load the rifle I point it in a safe direction and sling shot the BCG closed. I tried this on another round and same thing, a very light primer stike. Am I doing something wrong? Please advise asap. r/jet

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The M16/M4/AR15 has a free floating firing pin. As such, it tends to make minor contact with the cartridge primer when the bolt closes on a live chambered round. It isn't a safety issue, but as with all firearms you should remember always to keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction whenever loading, unloading, or otherwise handling it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its very common. Most people say its not a safety issue but I have now had 2 slam fires(doubles). The first was on a Win 7-1/2 primer(very old) and the second on ultramax reloads.

It makes a very distinct impression on the primer:

Both times it happened I had probably 200 rounds through the gun, all relatively clean ammo.

Jon

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Doubling is not necessarily (or even "probably") caused by this issue. Is the trigger mechanism, hammer, sear, etc. in your AR mil-spec stock or has it been modified, replaced by a "competition" trigger, etc.?

F

·
0 Posts
JFettig said:
Its happened both with the stock DPMS trigger and my 2 stage. Both times the primer looked like that.

Jon
===

I would give DPMS a call and discuss this with them. :wink:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all for the comments and observations, I almost needed CPR this morning when I noticed the primer strike. I envisioned just trying to tell the local Police it was an accident I didn't know how it happened!! When ever I touch my rifle I always point it in a safe direction, Thanks again for advise and pls keep it coming this is my first rifle. Is there an AR type course I can take for safety, use, care and cleaning?? Or I should I just head on out to the NRA Range in Fairfax VA?

VR

Jet

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
This is completely normal, don't get stirred up over nothing!

On the mention of 2 doubles, you likely have a disconnecter problem, I've shot over 10,000 rounds of my own reloaded 223, and a couple of thousand rounds of M193, and I've NEVER had a double.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
No doubles for me either...

It happens, though. As the bolt is sling-shotted or if you move it forward, by pure momentum the firing pin can poke out of the bolt. It happens.

I feel the design is better then, say, my military WWII rifles, which have the firing pin screwed directly into the bolt, and when the spring is uncompressed by firing, it can be a PAIN to recock some of them (specifically Russian made Mosin-Nagants).

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Doubling, most commonly is an issue with the nut behind the trigger being out of adjustment.

If your disconnector is borked, it will fire on the pull and release of the trigger. I haven't run into a bad disconnector that wouldn't double with some frequency. We're talking more like once or twice a magazine.

Most likely, you are trying to ride the rest on the trigger (don't), and thus bump firing a second round.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's normal. I work on M16A2's, GUU-5P and the M4's and it is common in all M16 style weapons. The guy who has had to rounds fire due to slam fire might want to check the cheapest thing first and that is fire pin protrusion the firing pin may be out of speck and should cost less than 20.00 to replace. After that check the trigger and hammer pins to see if the pins are walking loose, recently in some of our older weapons we have had people fire while on semi two round bursts. Lastly if someone "over polishes" the nose of the trigger or the hammer (where the trigger and hammer connect there may be an issue there) Connectors are pretty safe and sturdy.

Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts