MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using CCI right now, looking into federal due to hardness of the CCI's, and fed's are supposed to be softer. Any other I should look at?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Federals are the softest out there but I have not had any problems with the Winchesters I got for free they are supposedly right between the Feds and the CCI.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
CCI primers are usually the hardest primers, Federal are the softest, very easy to ignite, I've got a customized PPC revolver that is tuned for the very best double action trigger possible, which means all the springs have reduced power, this revolver is only reliable shooting Federal primers. One time I accidentally loaded a hundred 38 special loads with Winchester primers, only about half of them fired, I never had a misfire while using Federal primers in that revolver, that is the way that revolver is set up.

I prefer to use Winchester or Federal primers in almost all of my loads, IMHO they work the best for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It troubles me we are even talking about soft or hard primers. IMHO, all guns should fire hard enough to set the primers off. My old model 59 would eat anything I fed it. I have never had to concern myself w/ primer hardness until I bought my M&P. I would think S&W would send out letters offering to replace strikers. Just my .02 c worth.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I too choose not to use cci primers

especially their small pistol ones. I bought a "brick" of the small pistol primers a few years back. They all had a small "A" stamped in them and I had frequent (1 out of 10) triple strikes to get them to go off in my revolvers. I have never had a problem with Federal or Winchester in the same gun.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
I prefer to use Federal primers, since one of my pistols is set up to use Federals ONLY, I've been having a big problem finding Federal primers for the last few months, so I contacted Powder Valley, I'm going to be getting an order together for a quantity of rifle powder and wanted to buy a case of Federal small pistol primers, this is the answer I got to my question:

We just spoke with Federal this weekend. They are expecting small pistol and rifle shortages through 2007. They are making no commitments on when small pistol will be available.

They do have primers, just no Federals to speak of. I've gotten rifle powder off of them before, they have excellent prices on bulk powder, good people to do business with.

http://powdervalleyinc.com/

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have used them all at one time or another. The last few thousand fired have all been Winchester, but I just loaded 400 (9mm + 45) with CCI. These will be the first CCI thru my M+P.

I've had no issues with any brand.

My pistols 'seem' to prefer the Winchester WSP small pistol primers and my rifles absolutly prefer CCI BR bench rest rifle primers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
During the '90s "primer shortage panic" I bought 5,000 CCI small pistols primers when I couldn't get Winchester. I didn't use them until about 4 years ago. They loaded and fired just fine, but when it came time to re-load the cases, I had big problems with the primers not being punched out during the re-size and de-prime on my Dillon 550. The primer would bulge out, but not exit the primer pocket. The anvil would be destroyed by the punch but the damn things would just not come out. It would then required quite a bit of jiggling to get it out of the shell holder. I thought the primer punch had become loose or something, re-adjusted it, replaced it, fussed around endlessly with no improvement. I finally called Dillon and the tech I spoke to immediately asked if I was using CCI primers. He said that they'd had many calls regarding problems with CCI primers in the .40S&W cartridge. I had to go back and use my single stage press with a Lee de-primer die to get the primers out, and even then they're a pain. Maybe it was just an odd batch I happened to get back then. Winchesters have always worked fine for me, even when they switched to the "new" golden colored ones back about the same time.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Back in the 1994 Primer Scare i used Remington Primers there for a bit...

WHAT A POS!!!

I was shooting 38 Super and 40 in IPSC, my loads weren't dangerous or anything, I just made major with them. I had several instances of Primers Splitting, Cracking and just breaking up. This was so bad with Remington Primers that I damaged the Breechfaces of 2 of my STI Guns due to severe Pitting of the metal!! This was only with Remington Primers. I only use Winchester Primers now, I don't have a need for Federals, I know IPSC Revolver shooters only use Federals for better ignition in light double action trigger jobs. Yes Jester, CCI's are harder than Snot!!

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
ysued said:
Yes Jester, CCI's are harder than Snot!!
No doubt about that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts