MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Toolmaker hit it on the head. Their CS is spotty. Call them and be a PITA. Eventually you will get a CS agent that actually cares and isn't reading off of a script. When asked some CS agents will immediately start with the ammoniated solvent nonsense. "Its in your owners manual to not use an ammoniated solvent like Hoppes 9. - Ammoniated solvents or other strong alkaline solvents, should not be used on any Smith & Wesson firearm."

"OK, I'm talking about the slide which I never use Hoppes 9 on, I use to clean the barrel and use Hoppes Elite to clean the breach face. Then my M&P gets a wipe down with a silicone cloth."

If you talk with another CS agent they will tell you that ammoniated solvent does not apply to Hoppes 9 but that you shouldn't use it on nickel plated guns but anything that's black is fine. This from a long time S&W employee, "I use Hoppes 9 on everything but but silver guns and haven't had a problem in 40 years. There isn't enough ammonia in Hoppes to hurt anything."

One time I had to Email over an invoice that showed I was the original owner of the gun. When they got that the Fed Ex label was generated immediately.

Call back and escalate it if you get a script reader. Ask for a higher up. If you Email them it will generate a ticket and if the Email response is BS, Email them back with that ticket number. Within a week or two it will automatically get escalated. Keep doing that until they say send it in.

Sometimes you get a decent CS agent and it never comes to this. Sometimes you get a script reader and when you rattle off a bunch of serial numbers and state that you are a loyal customer, you will be surprised how fast their attitude changes. The key is to get them to tell you you to send the gun in on their dime. Once a gunsmith has it and if they have a slide, they will replace it. I would use "When I bought it it was because it was stainless steel because I knew I would be carry it and it would be exposed to the elements. Why is stainless steel RUSTING?"

See if that lights a fire. Keep being a PITA until they say send it in.

They did tell me to send it in. It arrived yesterday 11-15. I finally told the CS that I've owned a Glock since 2000 and carried it the same way, finish worn off in places and no rust issues. I don’t think she appreciated the Glock comparison. I only dropped the Glock card after she pestered me about my gun maintenance.
I have Springfield, Beretta, Sig and Glock and they all required minimum attention and never any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Mick, sometimes it doesn’t matter how high up you go. I wrote a long letter to both the President and the Firearms Director. I put them in envelops and mailed them. I think sometimes they are more likely to see that than an email.

Anyway, about the time those letters would have been delivered, I got a call from a CS rep. He said he just came from the Firearms Directors office and he was told to fix my problem. (Really terrible trigger on a Performance Center CORE…No, you don’t understand, I mean really TERRIBLE) Anyway he had me send the gun in and put his name on it, said I didn’t even need to write up a letter; he would handle it. I got that same gun back with a note that said it met all specs; nothing was done to it. That was the second time it was there.

I think he just wanted to let me know that no matter who I complained to; he would do what he wanted. Maybe they have a union there, and he doesn’t worry about the Firearms Director; I don’t know. I still buy Smith & Wesson guns, because they are the best out there. I just know that their CS is not what it used to be. And I'll tell this story every chance I get and I have all the documentation in case someone from S&W or the Performance Center ever cares enough to contact me. Of course I'm not holding my breath on that; I doubt the people that care read forums.
I have yet to run into that wall, I'm still not exactly satisfied with the finish on my one 2.0. I have been told to send it back in and actually have a name and an extension but my logic is screw it, I can tear down the slide and just have it cerokated. I'm sick of the nonsense. I send it back in and it comes back looking like whoever they farm it out to uses the least amount of topcoat of amazing Armornite possible? Since there are other mods I need to do I might as well just have it coated myself. Not one of my guns by any manufacturer looks like this one does and S&W replaced the slide. Is it better? Quite a bit. Is the finish on any other gun I own much better? Yes, by a long shot. It's not rusting but there is something wrong with the Armornite.
There was something very wrong with the finish on the first slide and while it's not a safe queen, this is something I will address before it becomes an issue. There is a guy near me that does a bunch of different coatings and a few people I know swear by his work. I have seen some of his really custom stuff and really I want is black and tough. Since S&W cant seem to get it right I'm going that route. I was actually told that they weren't affiliated with the S&W forum or any forum so I believe you are correct. The one CS rep that made me actually go my safety deposit box and get the bill of sale to prove that I was the original owner was a punk. They wouldn't sell me the part and wanted me to send the gun in on my dime. Then they would get back to me with an estimate. When I brought up that I bought the gun when they had a LIFETIME guarantee they wanted paperwork from the '90s. Paperwork from the '90s is what they got. This is why I miss Frank Smith who was a S&W Warranty Station for years. Your S&W broke, you called him, they sent a FedEx label and fixed your problem. I bet he would have fixed your trigger on the CORE. Rumor has it is he made the later Sigma triggers pretty nice under warranty. The early ones were gritty but weren't 12 lbs. A horrible trigger on an M&P CORE? He would probably made it sweet with no hassles. His turnaround was two weeks. It isn't like Massachusetts where depending on their work load it can take two months.

Did you escalate it to corporate? I mean that doesn't always work but it does bypass the CS circle jerk. Corporate used to hate having to deal with the public and would just OK a new gun sent to your FFL. Looking at the BBB website it seems that they don't care at all anymore. It's sad when Taurus has better CS then S&W. Long story short a couple of my TCP mags needed springs. I called them fully expecting to pay for them. I gave them two serial numbers. A week later they sent me two new factory Taurus magazines and they were Mec-Gars. The cost? Nothing. There was a letter saying Thank You for being a Taurus customer. The springs had noticeably more tension then the made in Brazil ones.
That's great Customer Service and Smith and Wesson could learn a thing or two from a company that many people bash.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have carried my Shield for about three years here in Georgia, inside the waistband and it does get hot. I clean my weapon after every shooting and wipe it down with either Mobil 1 or Hoppes gun oil now and then. Not a sign of rust yet.

I too have heard about the super expensive gun oils that are nothing but vegetable oil.
No thanks.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts