MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
So I bought a brand-new 2.0, full-size in 9mm; upon close examination, it appeared to have a crack, extending from the right edge of the barrel hood, down to the right edge of the chamber. I contacted Smith & Wesson, and they paid to have it shipped to them for examination/repair. Three weeks later, the gun is back in my hands, with some factory paperwork saying "Test fired. No repair needed." No indication that they did anything...and they certainly did NOT replace the barrel. If I am wrong, and what appears to be a crack (and this can be felt with my fingernail) is actually just a case of bad machining/tool mark, why wouldn't they have at least indicated that? I'm attaching pictures, so that I can get some other opinions. I've good customer service from Smith in the past...but am very disappointed right now. Has anyone else seen a barrel brand new from the factory like this? Hoping you can shed some light on this,
kean57 (Jim)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Jim,
Can you post a few more pictures shot at some different angles? Try some different lighting on it too. Hard to tell if its a crack or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they were fully informed about the issue

Smith & Wesson requires a letter/note explaining the issue to be placed in the box with the firearm sent back for inspection/repair.
Some more pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Maybe not but, it appears like stubborn carbon that has not been cleaned. I have seen it similarly to your photo so many times I have fabricated a series of brass scrapers I use to remove such retained carbon from barrel margins and slide breech faces especially in the tight corners that a brass brush does not engage.
It almost always looks just as black as the finish with barely a raised edge. IF it is a minor machining imperfection it will not affect anything as much more carbon build up occurs in and about the barrel hood with high round counts without any lockup issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Dosent look like a crack to me either. Looks more like carbon build-up. I would soak it and scrape it and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NOT "carbon build-up"

It is definitely NOT "carbon build-up;" it's part of the barrel. Having owned, fired, and worked on guns for 30+ years, I wouldn't have wasted anyone's time with such a simple cleaning problem. If it is not a crack, it is an example of poor machining and quality control. I'm disappointed that this would be considered acceptable by Smith & Wesson, a company that used to have higher standards, even if they consider this simply a cosmetic, and not a functional, problem. My two other M&Ps (a first-gen Pro-Series and another 2.0) show no such signs of shoddy machining. I still love and enjoy my Smiths, both revolvers and autos; I'm just disappointed.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
It is definitely NOT "carbon build-up;" it's part of the barrel. Having owned, fired, and worked on guns for 30+ years, I wouldn't have wasted anyone's time with such a simple cleaning problem. If it is not a crack, it is an example of poor machining and quality control. I'm disappointed that this would be considered acceptable by Smith & Wesson, a company that used to have higher standards, even if they consider this simply a cosmetic, and not a functional, problem. My two other M&Ps (a first-gen Pro-Series and another 2.0) show no such signs of shoddy machining. I still love and enjoy my Smiths, both revolvers and autos; I'm just disappointed.
I`ve seen worse machining. If it isn`t effecting the function and accuracy, i wouldn`t concern myself with it anymore.
If it really bothers you that much, replace the barrel. Apex makes nice barrels, and it will improve your accuracy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That looks like uneven machining to me.

The vertical surface on the right side of the chamber looks to be machined just slightly lower than the rest of the face of the barrel. Not much, but enough to notice.

I can't see any reason it would be an issue.

It would have been nice if S&W would have described their findings when they returned the gun to you - or just cleaned up the edge and touched-up the face of the barrel.

I sent my new M&P in after deciding the rough and inconsistent trigger take-up was unacceptable. They did fix it for the most part, but the note that was in the box when it returned said "trigger was heavy". I sent a detailed note with the gun and never said anything about the weight of the trigger release. I had also included additional packing when I sent the gun, which they disposed of. Their Service Dept. receives a C - from me.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I agree jkv, looks like a milling issue to me too, after seeing the additional pictures he posted. I say if the gun runs, don`t worry about it.

Yep, good ole S&W CS, really suckin lately. The good ole boys aren`t there anymore, just a bunch of kids now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try removing the crack with a razor blade, it looks like carbon to me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just to be clear is the red arrow pointing to the mark we are talking about?

My 10 year old 40 has a mark there. It is not a crack or carbon build up. It is where the cutter made a 90 degree turn. Instead of doing his job half azzed whoever checked it should have explained that in the message to you and let you know if that is acceptable.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
We have several M&P pistols, and even more barrels. Some of them have similar machining marks but none of those marks changes group size or reliability. I also own a personalized Les Bear presentation grade 1911 with absolutely perfect machining everywhere. Unfortunately, shooting a perfectly machined and engraved pistol will also decrease it's considerable value, so I've found a way to live with the machining marks on our $400 M&P pistols.

Reactions: claymore504

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
S&W and their tooling... pretty shitty quality control... but these barrels are MASS PRODUCED!
When you have a company that cares more about numbers over quality, you`ll have the result of a shitty product.

These subtle machine marks are not going to effect the function of the gun.
If you had a rimmed case, you might have a legit complaint.

Hell the friggin slide dosent even hit that part of the barrel, and neither does the ammo/case/rim.
If you see actual witness marks being hammered into the barrel in that particular area, you`ve got a problem.

Just shoot it and enjoy the gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks!

Thanks to all who took the time to reply, and share their thoughts; I truly appreciate the time and efforts on my behalf. I plan to shoot and enjoy this gun, cosmetic flaw and all. I don't believe there is any safety issue. This forum is a great resource. Thanks again for taking the time to your share your knowledge with me,
kean57 (Jim)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
So I bought a brand-new 2.0, full-size in 9mm; upon close examination, it appeared to have a crack, extending from the right edge of the barrel hood, down to the right edge of the chamber. I contacted Smith & Wesson, and they paid to have it shipped to them for examination/repair. Three weeks later, the gun is back in my hands, with some factory paperwork saying "Test fired. No repair needed." No indication that they did anything...and they certainly did NOT replace the barrel. If I am wrong, and what appears to be a crack (and this can be felt with my fingernail) is actually just a case of bad machining/tool mark, why wouldn't they have at least indicated that? I'm attaching pictures, so that I can get some other opinions. I've good customer service from Smith in the past...but am very disappointed right now. Has anyone else seen a barrel brand new from the factory like this? Hoping you can shed some light on this,
kean57 (Jim)
Jim,

I have just found the same exact mark on my new M&P 2.0 while cleaning it for the first time. I suspected a crack, but seeing your photo with the EXACT same shape of the scratch/mark leads me to strongly believe it's just a tooling issue. I've posted photos to the S&W website forum and will post a part of the same photo here for you...

Thoughts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts