MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put about 450 rounds through my m&p so far and as far as I can tell everything is great. I think I have had 3 problems so far and all 3 problems have been with Winchester luger 115 gr. ammo. Well I think its the ammo's fault as the 3 problems I have had are with this ammo and not the others I have used.

The problem:

I the middle of fireing off a mag of 17 I will get a jam of some sort where the slide will remain open and the gun wont fire. I have to pull the mag out (it is hard to pull the mag out) and then drop the round that is stuck in the gun by pulling back on the slide. The round then falls out of the gun and I notice it hasnt been fired. It just has a bunch of scrape marks on the brass cassing. I dont know why this happens but it has happened 3 times always with winchester ammo. I got the ammo at Sports Authority in a white box with red writting with 50 rounds per box. 115 gr. I bet I have put about 350 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr throught the gun and about 100-125 of the Winchester stuff through the gun. I am relitively new to shooting guns so any help on the matter would be great.

BTW- this gun is my home protection weapon so for that reason I have the concern. I like the M&P because it fits me well and I just like it, however, I dont want to be in a gun fight and have this problem come up.

TIA

Jason

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I had the same problem with my 9c using wwb(winchester white box) I would say feed it what works fire a couple hundred more then throw some wwbs in there every once and a while..keep us posted 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I just went to the rang and fired off 200 more rounds. Two times the empty case didnt come out of the barrel fast enough when another round was trying to be feed up out of the mag. and once an empty case got stuck in the slide. I think its the ammo because I comparied it to the Remington UMC and the Winchester ammo seems to be a little taller then the UMC stuff. Well, I have been thinking of throwing the other 250 rounds of ammo away but as I got to thinking about it, I am a fairly new shooter and havent been around guns that much in my life. So I will keep the ammo and shoot it and when i get a jam it will be a good chance for me to feel a little stress while shooting in a controlled inviroment. I will be able to practive clearing the jam and reloading the mag into the gun and continue shooting down rang. I think this is a good thing to practive and get framilar with.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Proper way to clear a level 3 Malfunction:

1. Lock Slide to the Rear (takes pressure off the problem).

2. Remove Magazine (will most likely need to rip it from weapon).

3. Drop the Slide Release (this will remove whatever is in your chamber when you do step 5).

4. Insert a New Magazine (as the one that was in the weapon may be damaged).

5. Rack the Slide (this will remove anything in your chamber and give you a new round).

C4

·
Registered
648 Posts
jasonslc said:
I've put about 450 rounds through my m&p so far and as far as I can tell everything is great. I think I have had 3 problems so far and all 3 problems have been with Winchester luger 115 gr. ammo. Well I think its the ammo's fault as the 3 problems I have had are with this ammo and not the others I have used.

The problem:

I the middle of fireing off a mag of 17 I will get a jam of some sort where the slide will remain open and the gun wont fire. I have to pull the mag out (it is hard to pull the mag out) and then drop the round that is stuck in the gun by pulling back on the slide. The round then falls out of the gun and I notice it hasnt been fired. It just has a bunch of scrape marks on the brass cassing. I dont know why this happens but it has happened 3 times always with winchester ammo. I got the ammo at Sports Authority in a white box with red writting with 50 rounds per box. 115 gr. I bet I have put about 350 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr throught the gun and about 100-125 of the Winchester stuff through the gun. I am relitively new to shooting guns so any help on the matter would be great.

BTW- this gun is my home protection weapon so for that reason I have the concern. I like the M&P because it fits me well and I just like it, however, I dont want to be in a gun fight and have this problem come up.

TIA

Jason

Since this is your defensive tool of choice, I hope that 115 FMJ would NOT be your defensive round of choice. What I would be concerned with is if your weapon did not shoot the ammo you intend to use for defense (like Hornady TAP, Winchester Ranger, etc).

If your gun doesn't like cheap ammo, I wouldn't worry about it.

C4

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
DING DING DING! Try it again with a firm grip! The gun needs to break in a little too! Get 1000 rounds +/- down range and then sneak them back in!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
DING DING DING! Try it again with a firm grip! The gun needs to break in a little too! Get 1000 rounds +/- down range and then sneak them back in!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
ding ding ding double poster :wink:

saw the opportunity :wink:

·
Registered
415 Posts
You are pretty close to me in jasper if you want to come over to my range I'm sure I can sort it out and I will throw in a free lesson

Mike

·
Registered
415 Posts
You are pretty close to me in jasper if you want to come over to my range I'm sure I can sort it out and I will throw in a free lesson

Mike

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
the first time you describe your problem, it sounds like you have an unfired round in the chamber, and a second round trying to feed into the back of it.

This is a double feed, and is the result of the feed lips of the magazine being out of spec somehow (or the ammo, but this is pretty uncommon in general, and virtualy unheard of with factory ammo).

then you describe it later as a fired case not being fulley extracted, and a new round trying to feed into the back of it. This is usually referred to as a death jam, and can happen for lots of reasons. Probably the top ones are a damaged extracter, a damaged, a mis-adjusted ejecter, a rough or damaged chaber, an exceptionally carbon fouled chamber, or out of spec ammo. With the ammo, the most common cause in factory ammo is soft brass. It'll aggravate any kind of mechanical lock between the case wall and dirt/debris/imperfections in the chamber, and also usually result in damage to the case rim when the extractor rides over it.

However, it CAN also be caused by bad magazine lips. Namely when they are loose enough that the recoil causes the top round to tip up, or completely pop out before it is suppsed to when the slide cycles. It then interferes with the normal extraction of the case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all for posting and trying to help. I went back to the rang today using Remington UMC ammo and after 400 rounds today there were no problems. I have put about 800 rounds of the Rem. UMC, 150 rounds of America Eagle and 250-350ish rounds of Winchester (white&red box) and the only time I've ever had problems is with the Winchester ammo. So untill I have a problem with any other ammo, the blame will be placed with the Winchester ammo.

Thanks again,

Jason

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have yet to experience ANY issue with WWB. And I've shot good 5~6k round through mine.

Infact, I have yet to have ANY issue with my M&P so far.

Only issue I have with it is that because its such a perfect weapon, its hard to find something thats better then my M&P these days

1 - 17 of 17 Posts