MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem with the lip of the cartridge catching on my M&P 9 magazine. I first noticed it when I tried to strip some unused shells out of the magazine. I had to elevate the nose of the round to get the cartridge to clear the front edge of the magazine. I noticed it next when I had the slide locked back and inserted a fresh magazine into the pistol. I shoot IDPA and USPSA so if I slam a new magazine in too hard, the slide tries to go into battery but the first shell will sometimes catch on the magazine causing a jam. Has anyone else had this problem and short of sending my pistol and all 3 magazines back to S&W what can be done?

maj_allen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has a problem with both. Generally, it doesn't have a problem feeding but every now and then, it will jam when inserting a new magazine. When I strip the unused shells, 90 - 95% of the time I have to elevate the nose of the shell to get it to come out. There is a lip on the edge of the magazine (approximately .0625 - .125") where they catch. I was thinking of taking this lip down to see if they quit catching but I don't want to ruin a good magazine just to experiment.

maj_allen

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have you taken apart the mags and cleaned and lubed them? If not do so.

Also, are the mags seating all the way and flush with the bottom of the mag well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have cleaned the original 3 magazines but I don't lubricate them. They seem to seat fully in the pistol.

maj_allen

·
Registered
70 Posts
I noticed the same thing with the mags for my 9mm full size. Hasn't caused a feeding problem and after only 300 or so rounds through the gun the rounds are getting easier to strip without having to lift the nose of the bullet. I haven't worried about it because the feed ramp is going to elevate the nose of the bullet when it is feeding the round. Also, all three of my mags were the same, so I figured that was the way the mags were designed.

I have noticed that if you try to feed a JHP round by simply slingshotting the slide, sometimes the nose of the bullet will stick on the feed ramp. However, when that happens the back of the cartridge is still in the middle of the mag and is not hanging up on the lip of the mag. I avoid this problem by locking the slide back when I insert a new magazine and the using the slide release or pulling and releasing the slide to feed the new round. So far, no FTF's while shooting and the feeding process seems to be smoothing out with use, so I suspect all of this is part of the breakin process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope you are right. I haven't had any jams in a match yet either but it would be nice to know why the problem exist. Smith and Wesson wants me to send all of my magazines and pistol back to see what the problem is. I will do this if the problem causes any jams while I am shooting a match.

Thanks

maj_allen

·
Registered
132 Posts
If the tip of the bullet "nose dives" into the feed ramp, just give the rear of the slide a tap with your open palm, and the weapon will prime itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed the same thing with the mags for my 9mm full size. Hasn't caused a feeding problem and after only 300 or so rounds through the gun the rounds are getting easier to strip without having to lift the nose of the bullet. I haven't worried about it because the feed ramp is going to elevate the nose of the bullet when it is feeding the round. Also, all three of my mags were the same, so I figured that was the way the mags were designed.

I have noticed that if you try to feed a JHP round by simply slingshotting the slide, sometimes the nose of the bullet will stick on the feed ramp. However, when that happens the back of the cartridge is still in the middle of the mag and is not hanging up on the lip of the mag. I avoid this problem by locking the slide back when I insert a new magazine and the using the slide release or pulling and releasing the slide to feed the new round. So far, no FTF's while shooting and the feeding process seems to be smoothing out with use, so I suspect all of this is part of the breakin process.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
All of my M&P9 mags auto-feed reliably in my M&P’s. That’s why I have no interest in going to the “2.0” models.

The mags are from 2007 up through about 2014. None have ever been taken apart or cleaned, and they’ve been dropped during reloads in sand, dirt, rocks, and grass. I do invert them and beat them against my leg after picking them up out of the sand.

Anyone who “lubes” their mags is asking for trouble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts