MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I paid in full for a 9mm M&P, but since I had a 3 business day wait, I haven't picked it up yet.

Up until pickup, I can apply the money towards anything else in the store without any losing any.

Since then I have been on the fence between the M&P and the Taurus 24/7 Pro. I've been looking at the 24/7 Pro for some time, but the M&P really caught my eye recently and felt very good and solid when I handled it (then again, so did the Taurus!).

I hope you guys can give some constructive input that might sway me either way. I have owned Taurus, and have owned S&W - both of which have been very good guns with no problems.

Why the 24/7? Because I have a Taurus Mil. Pro PT-111 9mm for carry purposes (CWP was issued Friday, should be here today or tomorrow). For all intensive purposes, it's nothing other than a chopped down 24/7 Pro without rail.. Same trigger/grip/sights/feel, except it doesn't have the rubber ribbing on the grip (no big deal). So, for this reason, I hope you can understand my line of thinking with wanting the 24/7 Pro !

I know there was an issue with the 24/7 Pro in .45ACP.The problems with the 45 apparently were due to a weak spring in a batch of magazines that were shipped.

I found a lot of negativity towards the 24/7 Pro in a bunch of forums, all which were stemming from a Nose-down jam in the magazine, causing failure to feed. I took a dig into the "names" of persons who are posting all the complaints on the 24/7 pro .45 online - funny, there were only about 10 of them posting on literally every forum they could get their hands on...

SIDE NOTE: It's amazing though how a sidearm that has little online press can be thrashed by a group of people spewing forth negativity about it everywhere that someone might look for something positive to say.

Here's the comparison I've put together of the two models.

• 24/7 is available in 9/40/45, while the M&P is available in 9/357sig/40...

Both bit my hand NICELY... and have Stainless slides..

Capacity is the same..

Both have lifetime warranty.

Both have good sights (Novak on the M&P, Heinie on the 24/7)

Both have rails.

24/7 has the SA/DA trigger that is mostly SA, but reverts to double action in the event of a failure to fire, M&P has DAO.

24/7 has an external safety (1911 style). M&P has no external safety.

M&P has ambidexterous slide release, 24/7 has one sided slide release.

24/7 Has a bi-tone look about it, where the M&P has Melonite coated stainless slide, making it black.

• Any input - minus the "fanboy"-type comments - are appreciated!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Both are great guns. Taurus is made in Brazil, M&P made in America. Thats one reason for me to buy the M&P. But its up to you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That definately is a plus on the M&P side...

Anyone else? Please speak up

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I tossed the 24-7 around for a while also, when I picked up my 3rd XD.

I talked to the owner, friend of mine and not brand loyal, and comparing the XD to it, he kinda said under his breath " I've sent back as many of those pistols as I've sold for repairs"

I then looked closer at it, and decided against it.

The MP 45 will be here soon, I know they are working on it.

I have shot alot of pistols, and I'd reccomend that you fire the M&P to see if you like the feel in that aspect.

Seems like you have a tough desision ahead of you.

Think of this also: I sent my pistol in to smith for the updated slide lock.

I called a week later telling them that I had an IDPA shoot that friday, and they rushed it through for me. I also asked for a spare striker assy, and they sent that to me, along with an extra mag.

All this while still covering shipping both ways.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually sold off my XD because I didn't like the feel of it... I've had them in 9mm and .45ACP ..

Plus it really pissed me off tha tthe .45 comes with a Melonite finish, but they aren't applying it to the other calibers.. What the heck is that all about? Sounds like they are in cahoots with the ammo makers.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
lol, thats why I sold off all my XD's and bought this M&P

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Ok, I only shot a 24/7 once, so this is to the best of my recollection. Comparing .40 to .40 in both.

M&P pro:

-interchangable grip straps.

-location of mag release.

-IIRC reach to the trigger on the M&P is less as is the reset. The 24/7 I remember being long. Not sure about initial reach and pre-travel. That was also before the restrike capability was added, I don't suspect that made it better.

-M&P has a lower bore axis which makes it more controllable.

M&P con:

-no second strike capability.

24/7 pro:

-squishy rubber grips aren't bad despite having finger grooves. The fins help lock in the front of your hand where you put it.

24/7 cons:

- getting a high grip is kind of hard, and keeping it even harder IMO (gun seemsd to want to ride up in the hand on rapid fire because of the way the gun recoils, and the fact that the grips schor the front of the the grip much better than the rear, especially if sweaty). The rubber grips help, the 45 with plastic only grips would be nasty IMO.

-unclear if you can replace the rubber molded in grip as it seemed less durable than their revolver grips like that, which can lose fins with extended use.

From my perspective, I wanted a 15 round .40, and didn't even consider the 24/7 when I was shopping having handled one. The combined ergonomics and materials and craftsmanship just felt kind of off.

basically it felt like it was designed by an engineer who understands guns, but doesn't shoot. Whereas the M&P feels like it was designed by someone who shoots a lot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raz-0,

THANK YOU!

EXCELLENT - This is the type of feedback I want!!!! Not biased, but rather informative and educational!

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Just another angle to look at: the aftermarket options.

I think in the long run the M&P will have more aftermarket options available than the tarus will. Several guys will have sights out soon, mag extensions, even heard a rumors of barrel bushings and laser grips. I am sure aftermarket barrels will be along shortly as well. I am not as up on the taurus, but don't recall seeing much for their guns.

Not scientific by any means but when using google to search:

1. taurus gunsmith- I get 34,100 hits

2. "smith & wesson" gunsmith- I get 93,400 hits

may indicate that it is easier to find someone willing to work on a S&W vs a Taurus.

I realize that I may be biased and I realize most gun owners will never do anything to their gun other than clean it and shoot it but still something you may want to consider.

Dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dan,

I actually am one of those persons who buys, shoots, cleans, repeat.

I have some police and military MP backround, so I am used to using weapons as I receive them.

Don't get me wrong though - I feel that the M&P is going to be a longer lasting weapon. I put well over 30,000 rounds though my old S&W 659 before it was stolen out of my house a number of years ago (along with a few other weapons - and the small safe they were in!!!), and I feel that proves the life of the weapon quite well.

I do have that other Taurus - yes, I will practice with it, but I bought it more as a carry weapon, so , it won't be used quite as much as the M&P, but then again the M&P will also serve as a carry pistol from time to time.

Thanks again to everyone - I AM getting the M&P!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've had very limited experience with my new 9mm M&P, but I've had 27 years of experience with Smith and Wesson handguns and service. It has always been outstanding for me and for every other person I have personally dealt with. I consider Smith to be a "name brand," and Taurus as a "wants to be a name brand." Nothing against Taurus, I just am hard to convince to change without really good reasons. A buddy said I bleed S&W blue, but it's Springfield blue, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only thing I can add is that a local shooter with moderate experience bought a 24/7 & is having troubles adjusting to it. He's shot enough before, but this gun is not working for him. Just doesn't seem to fit him right(normal build,normal hand size). By contrast, EVERYONE that I've talked to who has either handled and/or shot an M&P has loved it. It is a solid pistol that S&W has managed to get the egronomics right for just about everyone.

jivem

·
Registered
113 Posts
KI4LIV said:
This past weekend I paid in full for a 9mm M&P, but since I had a 3 business day wait, I haven't picked it up yet.

Up until pickup, I can apply the money towards anything else in the store without any losing any.

Since then I have been on the fence between the M&P and the Taurus 24/7 Pro. I've been looking at the 24/7 Pro for some time, but the M&P really caught my eye recently and felt very good and solid when I handled it (then again, so did the Taurus!).

I hope you guys can give some constructive input that might sway me either way. I have owned Taurus, and have owned S&W - both of which have been very good guns with no problems.

Why the 24/7? Because I have a Taurus Mil. Pro PT-111 9mm for carry purposes (CWP was issued Friday, should be here today or tomorrow). For all intensive purposes, it's nothing other than a chopped down 24/7 Pro without rail.. Same trigger/grip/sights/feel, except it doesn't have the rubber ribbing on the grip (no big deal). So, for this reason, I hope you can understand my line of thinking with wanting the 24/7 Pro !

I know there was an issue with the 24/7 Pro in .45ACP.The problems with the 45 apparently were due to a weak spring in a batch of magazines that were shipped.

I found a lot of negativity towards the 24/7 Pro in a bunch of forums, all which were stemming from a Nose-down jam in the magazine, causing failure to feed. I took a dig into the "names" of persons who are posting all the complaints on the 24/7 pro .45 online - funny, there were only about 10 of them posting on literally every forum they could get their hands on...

SIDE NOTE: It's amazing though how a sidearm that has little online press can be thrashed by a group of people spewing forth negativity about it everywhere that someone might look for something positive to say.

Here's the comparison I've put together of the two models.

• 24/7 is available in 9/40/45, while the M&P is available in 9/357sig/40...

Both bit my hand NICELY... and have Stainless slides..

Capacity is the same..

Both have lifetime warranty.

Both have good sights (Novak on the M&P, Heinie on the 24/7)

Both have rails.

24/7 has the SA/DA trigger that is mostly SA, but reverts to double action in the event of a failure to fire, M&P has DAO.

24/7 has an external safety (1911 style). M&P has no external safety.

M&P has ambidexterous slide release, 24/7 has one sided slide release.

24/7 Has a bi-tone look about it, where the M&P has Melonite coated stainless slide, making it black.

• Any input - minus the "fanboy"-type comments - are appreciated!

• I was impressed with the features displayed when I purhcased the Taurus 24/7 in 40 caliber. (I also have the M&P 40 now). The 24/7 seemed to have everything I was looking for, the grip, the safety, felt good, bi-tone, and on and on. Turns out, I loved the pistol, but for one very important thing (to me) and that was the sucky trigger. I think it would be a great carry gun, for someone who is worried they might touch off the trigger too easily if the trigger pull was light. I ended up selling the gun. I had no issues with feeding, ejection or extraction, but just couldn't get to like the trigger pull. I now own the M&P 40 and it is the ONLY 40 caliber handgun that I haven't bought and sold again, after tying it out. The M&P shoots the most accurate for me, has less felt recoil for a 40 caliber, and is accurate, and made in America! I have owned two Glocks in 40, two XDs, a CZ75, a SW99, a Witness, a S&W 4040PD, and I can't remember how many others. I have decided, that I like shooting the 9mm over the 40, at the range and in competition, but prefer the extra power of the 40 over the 9mm in a SHTF situation, that is if I dont' have my 45 with me. Overall, I would suggest sticking with your initial decision to put your money down on the M&P, I dont' think you will regret doing so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts