MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call Smith & Wesson yesterday to order a few M&P parts; take down latch spring, large grip panel and magazine release button. Lost the da-gum spring, want to try a stippled grip, and want a flatter mag release for carry. In my opinion the mag release can be bumped too easy and I plan on reducing its height about 2-3 mms. I plan on stippling the grip with a standard soldering point type pattern and need the extra grip panel in case I want to shoot IDPA SSP, where the stippled panel would bump the gun into ESP.

Anyway, while I had the guy on the phone I asked him some questions and thought perhaps folks here might be interested in the answers

Q – Will a 40 or 357 upper fit my 9x19 lower.

A – See no reason why it would not, but separate uppers will not be sold to anyone and S&W will not fit or install them on your frame.

Q – What about a longer slide of the same caliber .

A – Should work, but again as things stand now, we won’t sell the slide assembly separately. The bottom line is we want you to buy a new gun and just a slide assembly would put you, cost wise, 2/3rds the way there anyway.

Q – What if I claimed I lost the upper and it was 40 and not a 9mm.

A – We can check the serial number and see what it was originally shipped out as. Nice try though. (Should have seen that one coming)

Q – Could the manual safety that will come on the 45 be retrofitted to my 9x19.

A – Yes and no. It could not be put directly on your frame because there is a slot inside the fame that would need to be cut. It would be easy enough to do this, but S&W will not do it. The 9s and 40s will later be offered with this option and all frames will then have that slot. Don’t know if we will even sell the manual safety parts to anyone but a smith, but if we do, and you had a 45 to look at, a competent smith could probably do it.

He seemed to have time to chat so I went a little into the things I really liked about the M&P and also what I thought could be done to improve the pistol. He said that S&W was VERY open to feed back these days and that I should put it all in a letter and send it to them. He assured me it would be taken seriously and not circular filed. He said the newer slide stop/release was due to just this kind of feed back.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts