MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get a decent tactical quad rail at a good price?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Google search, "Picatinny Quad Rail", or simply "Quad rail." And you will have over a million options.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping someone could recommend one they have used before...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I put a Spectre free floating quadrail forearm on my Bushmaster M4 clone. You can order direct from the manufacturer (www.yankeehillmachine.com) or you can find them on eBay for a little cheaper sometimes from different resellers.

I'm very happy with the construction, quality and value for price.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I currently have the Midwest Industries 2 piece forearm

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/ar_2_piece_forearm.htm

I have Samson and YHM as well, but for this application MI fit my budget and are a quality product too. I didn't mean be a smart ass with my previous post, I simply thought you meant something else.

I have found Bravocompanyusa is a good find as well, they seem to carry alot of stuff...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Tactical-Handguards-s/7.htm

And you can not forget Grant, of G&R Tactical with a great website and a very good man too.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/comme...gi?display=home

·
Registered
910 Posts
I currently have a LaRue Tactical 11.0" rail, and absolutely love it - although I haven't installed it yet. Out of all the rails I've used or seen it's by far the nicest. Although they aren't cheap at $300+.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
josh said:
I currently have a LaRue Tactical 11.0" rail, and absolutely love it - although I haven't installed it yet. Out of all the rails I've used or seen it's by far the nicest. Although they aren't cheap at $300+.

Josh we know you can afford it, being a site supporter which has a flashy silver naked chick for an Avatar...
:wink: I am sure that was a dime or two... :

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the Troy Industries one that came on my M&P 15T. I like it, seems solid, but I have no basis for comparison. I need to stop buying guns so I can actually buy some of the stuff that it was designed to hold.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The first question is, do you want a free float or non-free float rail?

C4

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure what the difference is or which is better. This is my first AR15. I know I want the quadrail style and I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for it. I have seen a few from $99 to $150 which seems reasonable.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
m1surplus

I have reccomended this site before

www.m1surplus.com it has great package deals and very easy on the wallet

·
Registered
255 Posts
Evil Joker said:
I am not sure what the difference is or which is better. This is my first AR15. I know I want the quadrail style and I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for it. I have seen a few from $99 to $150 which seems reasonable.

A free floating forearm is more desirable as it allows the barrel to reside within the forearm but not be touched by the forearm. Why this matters is that tension placed against the forearm and transferred to the barrel can affect point of impact. This is why it is always wise to attach your forward sling mount to the free floating forearm rather than to the barrel / sight tower.

I picked up my YHM Spectre forearm for not much over $100 shipped to me. Easily in your price range, and yes... free floating.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Evil Joker said:

A free floating quad rail will put less stress on the barrel (good thing). They also (in some cases) will improve accuracy).

If this is just a plinker, the MI #17 rails are a good choice as they are drop in and follow the M1913 Picatinny spec. Price runs about $125 on them. Most cheaper rails do not follow the picatinny spec and might cause issues down the road.

C4

·
Registered
16 Posts
quad rail

I have two ar's with quad rails, I have yankee hill machine quad rail on both. I have seen a few other companies that sell quad rails for the same price, they do not have the quality. YHM makes very nice looking and functioning quad rails for a fair price.

They make a few other things that are pretty impressive as well. Check out the 5-c2 phantom flash suppressors. They are the best on the market for killing flash. (it has been proven by a third party) In fact, I have one permanently attached to my 14.5" barrel making it an overal of 16", it looks pretty sharp.

Anyway, go check out Yankee hill machines website, then google search which ever handguard you decide you like. keep in mind, you need a two piece handguard if all you want to do is drop in a replacement for the stock one, the one piece float tube type, are only good if you have the barrel nut and gas block for it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
+1 for YHM!! They are by no means a Daniel Defense unit, but they aren't 500 bucks either. In your price range get the YHM lightweight free float. What size bar.?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I went with the YHM 2 piece on my MKII. For the money you cant go wrong with YHM!!!

coltman1985 said:
+1 for YHM!! They are by no means a Daniel Defense unit, but they aren't 500 bucks either. In your price range get the YHM lightweight free float. What size bar.?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
coltman1985 said:
What size bar.?

??? I dont understand the question. Remember this is my first AR

·
Registered
6 Posts
He's asking what barrel contour you have.

M4, heavy, lightweight.......

I have a Midwest Industries free float quad rail on my AR and really like it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just the stock M&P15 barrel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Free floatign a 16" chrome lined barrel is not really necessary. It will help with more precision rigs and SS barrels. I have a FF rail (Midwest Industries) on my 18" SPR build. It is nice but wider than some others. You need to decide on FF or non FF. Non-FF are easy, work and cheaper. Most non-FF do not requre front site or barrel removal either.

CAA offers a pretty cheap non-FF quad rail that is fine for lights and OK if you are not going to the sand box. KAC, LaRue, ARMS, and Troy make fine rails. Do not count on attaching optics to low-quality non-FF rails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts