MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my Father passed he had a huge collection of Sports cards My guess close to 7500-10000 cards total it costed 75.00 to ship them.. I dont know an exact count now a friend of my dad in CALI :twisted: told me to package all the cards and send them to him he is paralyzed from an accident during surgery he said he would go through them find out how much these are worth and "take care of me" After he got the cards he called me a couple days later and told me that they really werent worth a lot and gave them all to a neighbor kid. He has been trying to contact me for some time now and I finally email him expressing my concern and anger for getting rid of my fathers possession without asking me and not even sending me a ballpark figure. He emails back saying sorry sorry sorry how much do I owe you?? I told him I have no idea he is the one who checked them. And now he fell off the face of the earth. I do not know his phone number address all I have is an email address. This has brought up sao many emotions I feel like I deserve some compensation for this... your idea-Jason

·
Registered
910 Posts
Wow, I don't even know what to say other than I'm sorry, but that dude f'd you pretty hard. If it were me I'd fly to his house, and pop a wheel off his wheelchair and demand the cards back. If he indeed did give some kid the cards, which he didn't, I'd kick the kids ass myself to get them back.

He's full of ****, either way. It would take an indivudual weeks to determine the value of 7,500-10,000 cards. If not a month or two.

This really sucks dude.

Oh, and how do you not know his address if you shipped him something?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He doesnt have a job and won an undisclosed amount of money so he just hangs around all day so I am sure he checked them all

it was 2 1/2 years ago and I deployed and we moved 3 times I think it got lost

·
Registered
910 Posts
Sorry Jason.
Again man that really sucks. Considering it happened 2 1/2 years ago, and you probably have zero proof of any wrong doing on his part - I'd say you probably can't do much. About all you could probably do is chalk it up as one of life's hard lessons learned, and try and forget about it.

I go out of my way all the time to help people out - even complete strangers - but it's stories like this that make me hesitant sometimes. Sadly there's scumbags out there that'll screw anyone over - even friends and family.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Unfortunately, I am forced to agree with Josh that there is not much you can do but I am sorry that the guy screwed you. There is no way to prove it but I suspect that he did value the cards, sold the ones that were worth money, and gave away or threw away the rest and now he is just playing dumb. It really sucks when people take advantage of others like this, especially considering that they belonged to your Dad and this guy was supposed to be his friend.

I had a similar situation a number of years back when my father-in-law died unexpectedly. He would always go out of his way to help people, loan them money or other belongings, whatever he could do. His friends disappeared when he died and never even made an attempt to return any of the items they "borrowed" let along the money that they owed. We even had signed receipts for the money with I.O.U statements and they were just not decent enough to treat the man with respect. We struggled to pull everything together and pay for the burial and associated costs but his "friends" never even showed up. Even if they would have showed up empty handed that's okay, it is not about paying back it is about treating others as you would like to be treated, with dignity and respect.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Thats jacked Jason. I collect cards, you should have sent them to me for $75 shipped...lmao I would have told you I gave them away 2. I highly doubt if your dad was a collector that they werent worth anything.....Thats a bunch of BS. Man that sucks brother, I suggest pack your toys up go to the range for a few hours and take some frustration out on paper!

Sorry to hear that brother

101Combat Vet said:
After my Father passed he had a huge collection of Sports cards My guess close to 7500-10000 cards total it costed 75.00 to ship them.. I dont know an exact count now a friend of my dad in CALI :twisted: told me to package all the cards and send them to him he is paralyzed from an accident during surgery he said he would go through them find out how much these are worth and "take care of me" After he got the cards he called me a couple days later and told me that they really werent worth a lot and gave them all to a neighbor kid. He has been trying to contact me for some time now and I finally email him expressing my concern and anger for getting rid of my fathers possession without asking me and not even sending me a ballpark figure. He emails back saying sorry sorry sorry how much do I owe you?? I told him I have no idea he is the one who checked them. And now he fell off the face of the earth. I do not know his phone number address all I have is an email address. This has brought up sao many emotions I feel like I deserve some compensation for this... your idea-Jason

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Unfortunately some of the lessons of life can be expensive, this is just one of those lessons learned the hard way.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A friend of mine that follows baseball alot tells me alot of the cards are not worth anything anymore. I have a large collection also that i have been holding since the early 80's with alot of rookie cards. I always figured i would give them to my son, figuring they would be worth more. Does anybody that follows baseball have any insight?

I mean if their not really worth anything, maybe trying to get your shipping back? I'm sorry i know this sucks, i would be seriously pissed, but if you do get ahold of him again, there really doesn't seam like much you can do. I have always been cautious with my cards, to many people with their own interest out there, and its sad we can't trust people anymore.

I hope we all listen and learn, personal pain is the most expensive lesson life serves us.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It is true that card from the 80's have little value and common cards from the 90's aren't worth the cardboard they are printed on. However anything from before the 70's is usually worth a few bucks even if it was considered a common card they're still difficult to come by these days. I guess too many kids stuck'em on their bike spokes. 101CV, sorry to hear about that guy robbing you of your fathers legacy. Even if they weren't worth anything I'm sure they had sentimental value. Even if he did give them to a neighborhood kid (Which I seriously doubt) he should have known that it wasn't his to give away no matter what the value. Sorry about what happened my friend.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
WTF, I thought I had a bug on my screen and tried to kill it; Thanks Josh...

Jason, sorry man for your loss, but remember Karma is a lady... So, if he did really play you he still has a disability, and we are all very fortunate to be able to walk, so let it be...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE

Well after my final kiss my a** email his wife sent me one back saying he is in the hospital recovering form e coli he has to go through a couple more surgery's and will be out of the hospital in 3 -4 weeks

·
Registered
464 Posts
Re: UPDATE

101Combat Vet said:
Well after my final kiss my a** email his wife sent me one back saying he is in the hospital recovering form e coli he has to go through a couple more surgery's and will be out of the hospital in 3 -4 weeks

So do I have to call off the hit on this guy? O wait, my guy says the E-coli was the hit. :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts