MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that if one wants to send a gun through the mail that a license/permit is required.

If it is taken apart, is it legal to send the trigger assembly in one package and the barrel/slide in a different package so that it can be put back together by the receiver?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My understanding is that you can not ship an entire firearm unless it is to the manufacturer, or you have an FFL. I have shipped various parts and never had a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The frame is the part of the gun considered the firearm by the BATFE. Therefore, sending your trigger assembly (removed from the frame as I understand your description) and your barrel/slide assembly in two separate packages should not be a cause of any concern. Just like sending that Christmas fruitcake!! But why send it in two? Put it all together and send it off!

Remember, sending the frame off is exactly sending the whole pistol. In which case, see below.

There is no requirement to have a permit or license to ship the gun (We are talking pistols, I assume? I ask because you have to ship it overnight if so, and only using a commercial carrier i.e. UPS or FEDEX. The USPS does not and will not accept handguns.) as long as you are the owner and are shipping to: the manufacturer for repairs or a licensed (FFL holder) dealer.

Look here for more info: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm Particularly paragraphs B7 and B8.

I have sold several handguns to folks from a different state and haven't had any problems. Most customer service folk from commercial carriers are not familiar with their OWN firearms shipping regulations, so I always print them out from THEIR website and bring it with me to avoid confusion and eventual misunderstanding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seikoguy said:
Actually, the USPS will accept handguns, as long as you are a manufacturer or a licensed gun dealer -> http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf

I don't see on that form where it says they WILL accept handguns. They will accept long guns (shotguns, rifles) for shipment, could it be that is what that form is for? In any case, I say the BATFE regulations trump whatever some ninny from the post office says.

edited to add:

The issue is moot since the original poster is neither a manufacturer nor a licensed dealer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
effinnewguy said:
In any case, I say the BATFE regulations trump whatever some ninny from the post office says.
You're free to say whatever you like. The form I linked to is an official USPS form. I order handguns from Budsgunshop.com all the time, and their preferred method for shipping to my FFL (handguns and long guns) is USPS Priority Mail. So, to reiterate the point which I clearly stated above, the USPS DOES accept handguns, as long as you are a manufacturer or a licensed FFL dealer. This was in response to your earlier statement which said, "The USPS does not and will not accept handguns." This blanket statement isn't accurate as the USPS clearly will, as long as you fall into the aforementioned categories. Again, this is a fact and not an opinion.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thank you for the information, gentlemen. It's good to know things like this - even if the use of that knowledge will not be very frequent

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seikoguy said:
[quote name='effinnewguy']In any case, I say the BATFE regulations trump whatever some ninny from the post office says.
You're free to say whatever you like. The form I linked to is an official USPS form. I order handguns from Budsgunshop.com all the time, and their preferred method for shipping to my FFL (handguns and long guns) is USPS Priority Mail. So, to reiterate the point which I clearly stated above, the USPS DOES accept handguns, as long as you are a manufacturer or a licensed FFL dealer. This was in response to your earlier statement which said, "The USPS does not and will not accept handguns." This blanket statement isn't accurate as the USPS clearly will, as long as you fall into the aforementioned categories. Again, this is a fact and not an opinion.[/quote]

I posted the link to the BATFE website because I wanted to help the OP out believing that he is neither a manufacturer of firearms nor an FFL holder. It clearly stated that "handguns are not mailable." That was the motivation for his post, and the reason for mine. You did not help his situation at all. And no, my statement was not inaccurate at all considering the category we fall into. Have a nice day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts