MP-Pistol Forum banner

question about slide release???? problem???

3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  ToddG 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has this same problem. Whenever I go thru a whole clip and reload the new clip, the slide sometimes goes back by itself, without me even touching the slide release.

#2 ·
I have run into that as well especially when I put in the other MAGAZINE
quickly and forceful... If you slide the MAGAZINE
in easily I think you will not run into it but as far as I know no harm no foul.. 8)

#4 ·
thanks for the info... Just wanted to make sure it wasnt a bad thing.... because!!! When I first got the gun, after the first trip to the range, I field stripped it WITHOUT flipping that little lever inside, I just used the trigger to release the slide like I did on my KelTec, I thought I might have damaged the gun.

#5 ·
The general consensus is that you should always use the take-down lever, not pulling the trigger. Besides another safety against ND, some have reported breakages occuring with high suspicion on the trigger-pull method of take-down as the cause.

#6 ·
thats unusual...never happened to me no matter how hard i slam mag. slide stop problem???

#10 ·
Besides another safety against ND, some have reported breakages occuring with high suspicion on the trigger-pull method of take-down as the cause.

OT I know, but what sorts of problems?

Shouldn't be that different from dry-firing, which I thought was OK....

#13 ·
My first pistol was a Taurus PT92. I always just slammed the new mag home, resulting in the slide falling forward on the next round. I always thought that's the way I was SUPPOSED to reload. Only a few weeks ago at the range did one of my buddies comment, "Does your MP automatically drop the slide when you put a mag in? That's pretty cool." LoL At that point did I research and realize I was actually causing more of "an accident" than anything. haha

#14 ·
Its common with alot of semi auto pistols, and no indication of any problem. I shoot USPSA and I try to slam my mag in hard enough in my Sig P226 so it will drop the slide without me having to hit the slide stop release. I would do the same thing with my H&K USP when I shot one of those. I'm glad to hear I will be able to do this when I get my Smith M&P.

#15 ·
Same here with my two-week old S&W M&P 9 with (approximately) 1,000 rounds fired through it. When I insert a either a fully loaded (17-rounds) or a partially loaded (any round count) into my

S&W M&P 9 with normal muscle, the slide remains open and I must close the slide by either using the slide stop lever or racking the slide.

However, after inserting the loaded magazine if I then strike the bottom of the magazine (with my open hand palm) with any moderate to heavy degree of force, this will cause the slide stop to deactivate and allow the slide to go forward. A round will be stripped from the magazine and chambered. I can do this on demand! However, I can only make this happen with a magazine that has rounds in it – I cannot make it happen with an empty magazine!

This seems to be a trait with some of the S&W M&P 9s. Whether an intentional design or not, or the more reason to have the handgun pointed downrange with you finger off the trigger while doing this.

I was seriously thinking of sending my S&W M&P 9 into either Burwell Gunsmithing or Bowie Tactical for a trigger job and a new set of sights. I wonder what they have to say about this issue? :roll:

#17 ·
I assume you read all the above posts and now understand this is normal and not unique to the M&P.

There are two other threads running currently that deal with this.

Yes I have! I disagree; this slide stop failure is a problem. I have contacted S&W about this problem and they sent me a return USP Shipping label. I have since sent my S&W M&P 9 off for repair.

The slide going forward is NOT a designed functionality of the S&W M&P 9! As a retired law enforcement firearms trainer and a veteran of several shooting schools, I can tell you that a handgun (or any other firearm) is not suppose to do anything that you – as the operator – physically manipulate the handgun to do. “Auto-Forward?” What is that!!!!

I strongly encourage any owner of a S&W M&P 9 who is experiencing the slide stop failing when loading a magazine to contact S&W Warranty repair for instructions on how to return their handgun for repair. This slide stop failure is potently dangerous and it needs to be corrected!

#18 ·
As a non-retired trainer and "veteran" of over a dozen schools, I can tell you that most any handgun will auto-forward if you insert the magazine just right. I've had it happen on Berettas, SIGs, HKs, and Glocks (where it is quite common). It's never happened on my M&P but plenty of other people report it. It's a combination of the strength of the slide stop spring, the angle at which the magazine is inserted, and the force with which the magazine is inserted.

Can Smith tweak your slide stop spring so it's less likely? Sure. I bet that is exactly what they do for people who complain about it.

But it's not dangerous by any stretch of the imagination and it's a very common, well-known phenomenon that has been around long before there was a M&P semiauto in existence.

More importantly, the specific thing you're describing is even more likely to cause it. You're not getting auto-forward when inserting the magazine. You're getting it when you slam the floorplate after the mag has already seated. If you understand how the slide catch works, it's not surprising this is happening. Again, can Smith tweak your gun so it doesn't happen (or at least doesn't happen as regularly)? Sure. But the sky isn't falling here.

#20 ·
As a non-retired trainer and "veteran" of over a dozen schools, I can tell you that most any handgun will auto-forward if you insert the magazine just right. I've had it happen on Berettas, SIGs, HKs, and Glocks (where it is quite common). It's never happened on my M&P but plenty of other people report it. It's a combination of the strength of the slide stop spring, the angle at which the magazine is inserted, and the force with which the magazine is inserted.

Can Smith tweak your slide stop spring so it's less likely? Sure. I bet that is exactly what they do for people who complain about it.

But it's not dangerous by any stretch of the imagination and it's a very common, well-known phenomenon that has been around long before there was a M&P semiauto in existence.

More importantly, the specific thing you're describing is even more likely to cause it. You're not getting auto-forward when inserting the magazine. You're getting it when you slam the floorplate after the mag has already seated. If you understand how the slide catch works, it's not surprising this is happening. Again, can Smith tweak your gun so it doesn't happen (or at least doesn't happen as regularly)? Sure. But the sky isn't falling here.

I am getting this "auto-forward" crap whenever I seat a magazine with any amount of rounds in the magazine. The only time it does not happen is when the magazine is empty! So to me, as long as the magazine follower is not directly pressing against the slide stop, the slide stop is way too easily (unintentionally) jarred loose (tripped allowing the slide to go forward).

If this “autoforward” is occurring on other handguns that means to me that these handguns need to be fixed also. Just because it is sometimes happening with other S&W M&P 9s and other makes and models of handguns does not mean it is acceptable or alright! If this were happening on my Glock, I would consider it just as wrong and I would have it repaired immediately!

Again, this is NOT a designed functionality with any handgun, including the S&W M&P 9s. I consider handguns mechanical devices and they are NOT to do anything that the operator does not manipulate the handgun to do so – including “autoforwarding” the slide! Why do I consider this “autoforwarding” dangerous – because the handgun is not designed to be doing this! Something is mechanically wrong with the handgun!

I am not causing this. On all of my other handguns I can perform the "tap and rack" manuver all day long without this "autoforward" crapola!

I am somewhat amazed on how the so called “modern instructors” can come up with new BS terminology to describe or explain away a wrong technique or mechanical problem. And I resent to hell your suggestion that because that I am “retired” (from law enforcement) or not a high profile firearms instructor that I am somehow not quite up to speed on these matters.

“Autoforwarding” is a punch of gobble-**** talk!

#21 ·
Getting your car to start by rolling it along and slamming it into 1st gear isnt designed functionality either....but it works.

#23 ·
I am getting this "auto-forward" crap whenever I seat a magazine with any amount of rounds in the magazine. The only time it does not happen is when the magazine is empty! So to me, as long as the magazine follower is not directly pressing against the slide stop, the slide stop is way too easily (unintentionally) jarred loose (tripped allowing the slide to go forward).

It's certainly conceivable that something is out-of-spec with your pistol if it's happening all the time regardless of how much force you use inserting the mag. But regardless of the mag being partially or fully loaded, if you hit the mag bottom hard enough, you'll autoforward.

If this “autoforward” is occurring on other handguns that means to me that these handguns need to be fixed also. Just because it is sometimes happening with other S&W M&P 9s and other makes and models of handguns does not mean it is acceptable or alright! If this were happening on my Glock, I would consider it just as wrong and I would have it repaired immediately!

It happens to Glocks all the time. I've got a video from a couple months ago of a shooter who is so used to his slide doing it, he fumbles his reload when it doesn't happen. Heck, I don't even have to check ... I'll bet you $50 that if you go over to GlockTalk, there will be threads about it there. It freaks people out who don't have a lot of experience.

You might not like it, you might think it's a horrible flaw, but that doesn't make it the end of the world or something that gun companies need to "fix."

Something is mechanically wrong with the handgun!

Something may be wrong with your handgun. But the mere fact that someone is able to cause a gun to autoforward doesn't mean there is something mechanically wrong with the gun. If I stick my M&P in the oven, the frame will melt. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with it ... it means I did something wrong to it.

I am somewhat amazed on how the so called “modern instructors” can come up with new BS terminology to describe or explain away a wrong technique or mechanical problem. And I resent to hell your suggestion that because that I am “retired” (from law enforcement) or not a high profile firearms instructor that I am somehow not quite up to speed on these matters.

I'm not suggesting, I'm flat out saying it: if you've never seen or heard of a slide going forward "on its own" when someone inserts a magazine forcefully, then you haven't been around very many different shooters and different semiautos, especially polymer ones. All you have to do is look at the numerous threads on mp-pistol.com and you'll see it's a common occurrence with M&Ps and other guns, too. An awful lot of people have seen it in their time on the range.

You can resent reality all you want, but it's not likely to get you very far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.