MP-Pistol Forum banner

Question about the finish on a new gun

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Jeff 9mm M&P 
#1 ·
The top of the 40 C I was looking at looks like it has a light finish on the top of the barrel where it says .40, the tapered part. Its not completely black like the rest of the slide. Almost as if the melonite finish didnt completely cover this area, it was oversprayed, or it is worn. Also when I pulled the slide back, the outside of the barrel was completely covered in oil. They sent the paperwork in but I think I may ask them to get me another gun. New out of the box. They wrote me up for the display model and said it was new. I remember reading reviews where the same spot was uniform in color. Am I being picky? is it going to be worn like that after a few hund rounds anyway? I'm a perfectionist and this is starting to bother me the more I think about it.

Oh and Hi new to forum and this is my 1st piece. I'm psyched!

#4 ·
my .45 came like that. it had a small wear spot on top of the barrel. I think you're forgetting that they test fire the gun before it leaves smith and wesson. mine came with an actual empty shell in an envelope as proof. that spot is nothing to worry about man.

#5 ·
Flyin_.45 said:
my .45 came like that. it had a small wear spot on top of the barrel. I think you're forgetting that they test fire the gun before it leaves smith and wesson. mine came with an actual empty shell in an envelope as proof. that spot is nothing to worry about man.

I thought that was to file a finger print for your barrel. So if your gun is involved in a shooting they can match it up with your gun. I could be wrong though.

#6 ·
you are probably right...that still doesn't dispute the fact it was shot before being shipped out does it? i'm just explaining why the bare steel is there to help Gamisou feel better.

#7 ·
HAHA Flyin your too much
I am goin to ask them to give me a gun thats still in the box. I plan on buyin an AK there also so they better give me an absolute mint gun. I just hope I don't have to start the whole 3 day waiting process from zero again, IM MAD RIGHT NOW! I WONT BE MAD IN 3 DAYS!!! :twisted:

#8 ·
This thread throws me over the top...

the barrel wears right there... No way to stop it, and its like that from the first shot you put through it, Or Smith puts throught it.

I don't know of any autoloaders that don't have wear on the hood.

#9 ·
Gamisou said:
The top of the 40 C I was looking at looks like it has a light finish on the top of the barrel where it says .40, the tapered part. Its not completely black like the rest of the slide. Almost as if the melonite finish didnt completely cover this area, it was oversprayed, or it is worn. Also when I pulled the slide back, the outside of the barrel was completely covered in oil. They sent the paperwork in but I think I may ask them to get me another gun. New out of the box. They wrote me up for the display model and said it was new. I remember reading reviews where the same spot was uniform in color. Am I being picky? is it going to be worn like that after a few hund rounds anyway? I'm a perfectionist and this is starting to bother me the more I think about it.

Oh and Hi new to forum and this is my 1st piece. I'm psyched!

You won't get one without the "missing" finish. They are test fired from the factory. Just like every one else has said.

#15 ·
jamesr said:
[quote name='Jester']This thread throws me over the top...
Why, a person buying his first handgun has an honest question throws you over the top. wow :roll:[/quote]

Not to come off like a know-it-all but, I kinda think that before you respond sarcastically to another member's posts... You'd notice the title under his screen name that says "Founder".

I'm a newbie here myself, and I agree that the response was a bit harsh when taking into account the totality of the circumstances. But, I would suggest checking sleeves for stripes or hashmarks before responding in such a sarcastic manner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.