MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that don't mind, where at home do you keep your weapon so that you can access it quickly if needed, and where it is safe from child or even a thief? I read the whole thread about keeping the gun chambered and un-chambered, so if you want you can include this info too. Do most of you lock up the gun? Or hide it really well? or just keep in the old nightstand? Do you keep the mags loaded near it, or even unloaded? I guess it all depends on who lives at your home, I know if I was single and living alone the gun would be loaded, and chambered ready to go, in a convenient place close to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have kids and all of my pistols in the house have empty chambers and loaded magazines. This adds an extra step that smaller childeren cannot do. When you train it really isn't much slower.

I also have a Gunvault in my bedroom. It is the fastest way to get at a locked pistol, even in the night.

·
Registered
512 Posts
For my wife's peace of mind and any young visitors in the house, I keep it loaded/chambered right next to the bed in one of those fast access four fingered gun vaults. With a spring loaded door it is almost faster for me than keeping it unchambered in the night stand.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Depending on a kids age, I don't think an pistol with an empty chamber/loaded mag is enough.

Kids know more then they should about working pistols from TV, movies, video games. If they are strong enough (or could possibly be strong enough) to chamber a round... its time for the pistols to get locked up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We have kids in the house so I keep all of the pistols loaded and chambered but in a gun safe when they are not on me or my wife. I may need a few seconds to get it open, but the German Shepherd dog should buy me enough time to do so.

·
Registered
545 Posts
We don't have any young kids in the house anymore. I keep a loaded Ruger P-95 with an extra magazine and a flashlight in a strong secure metal box with a Simplex push button lock inside my nightstand and the box is bolted to the stand. It's out of sight, difficult to to break into even with tools and you'd have to take the entire stand to remove it from the house.

I think it's almost as secure as if it were in my safe. Nevertheless, when we go on vacation or are going to be away for more than the day, I put it in my big, very heavy floor safe.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
synergy said:
[quote name='choochboost']We don't have any kids.

At night it's here:

When we're not home, the guns I'm not carrying are locked away.

GASP!!! That doesn't much look like an M&P!!!

[/quote]

Don't look at it - don't look! Haha

I have an eight month old daughter. Just hit that stage where she wants to crawl around and grab and touch everything. Time for me to invest in a quick access electonic pistol-safe I can throw on/in the nightstand by the bed and not have to worry about my little girl messing with it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Is that USP pulled slightly out of the holster? Or does it really cover that little of the trigger guard?

Serious design flaw in that holster....why would they make it that way?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well thanks for the heads up. The child we have is 4 months old, so for now it'll be in the nightstand, loaded, but not chambered. Eventually I will look into one of those gun vaults. Nice bedside storage though! Not that I would ever break into someones house, but definitely not yours! Now thats home defense!

·
Registered
257 Posts
hks rule said:
[quote name='choochboost']We don't have any kids.

At night it's here:

When we're not home, the guns I'm not carrying are locked away.

Nice HK.[/quote]

Is that a .40?

I got to see a USP .40 kB today...woo-hoo!

Wasn't a true kB, only the frame split apart...was still a joy to see. The entire frame forward of the slide stop pin joint cracked and pointed down about 30 degrees from where it should have been.

Then I saw a S&W 629 .44 Mag barrel crack....

Then I saw a round loaded BACKWARDS into a Beretta 92FS...yes backwards. Dumbass must have droped the slide on it 10 times trying to seat it before he asked for the range officer. Couldn't take the slide off, so we had to push it out from the muzzle...cause pushing against the primer of a jammed round is fun to do.

Ahhh, the perks of working at a range.... :roll:

·
Registered
406 Posts
On your person, in a high quality holster, while you're awake; in a GunVault bolted to the wall or a large piece of furniture while you sleep.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts