MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just placed an order with a local dealer for an M&Pc in .357 sig. He told me he would call if his supplier couldn't get one.

My main questions are, 1.) Are they out yet and available, and 2.) if so, would you order the .40c magazines for the extra mag deal?

Sorry for the newbie quetions, but this will be my first S&W.

Thanks,

Kevin

Sig P226 9mm

SA XD-9 SubCompact

Speer 124 +P GDHP

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kevin,

I don't see why the magazines would not be interchangeable. In fact, I don't see why the magazines would be any different at all
.40 and .357Sig have the same casing diameter, don't they?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I just pulled the mag out of my new 40c and it says right on it: 40S&W and directly below that, .357.

I knew that was the case for the fullsize mags, but I hadn't really taken note of the marking on my new 40c mags till just now.

So, yep. They are the same magazines.

I hope you get your .357sig compact. We are all anxious to get a report on the .357sig M&P.

I will have to wait until the .357sig barrels become available to swap into my 40 fullsize and that may be another year.

Oh well, I am enjoying the 40s and the 9mm just fine.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
While the M&P mags work in both calibers, not all .40 mags are compatible with 357. This is particularly true in single stack guns. For example, the SIG P239 uses different magazines for the .40 S&W model as opposed to the 357 SIG model.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The XD has different mags for the .357sig vs. .40s&w, the creases in the body, and the baseplate are different. .40 mags will work just fine in the XD-357, but the .357 mags won't work in the XD-40. I'm a purist and only buy .357sig specific mags for the XD.

I haven't had any issues with the universal M&P mags in my fullsize .357.

·
Registered
280 Posts
ToddG said:
While the M&P mags work in both calibers, not all .40 mags are compatible with 357. This is particularly true in single stack guns. For example, the SIG P239 uses different magazines for the .40 S&W model as opposed to the 357 SIG model.

Thanks for clarifying that. I know that the P226/P229 both are compatible between .357 and .40 mags, all you need to do is change the barrel out in those cases. I guess single stacks can be a little more anal in regards to the shape of the follower, the feed lips, etc.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Onuma said:
Thanks for clarifying that. I know that the P226/P229 both are compatible between .357 and .40 mags, all you need to do is change the barrel out in those cases. I guess single stacks can be a little more anal in regards to the shape of the follower, the feed lips, etc.

When a semiauto pistol is fired, the rounds in the magazine tend to move around under the force of recoil. With the 357 SIG, you have a stubby little bottleneck round with a pretty heavy bullet. So in recoil, the bullets want to nosedive. In a single stack mag, where each round is perched perfectly atop another, this has sort of an "accordion effect" and you can get the top round so out of place that it won't feed properly.

While I'm a big fan of the 357 SIG, the oft-repeated claim that it has superior reliability is really a half-truth. You do have the benefit of sticking a 9mm bullet into a 10mm hole, so to an extent you should expect more reliable chambering. But getting the round into the barrel (feeding) is actually more tricky than with most other cartridges, because of the bottleneck design.

All of which is a moot point, since most modern guns are designed to be reliable regardless of the caliber. I have never seen conclusive broad data showing that one caliber is more reliable than another.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I learn something new every day on this site, lol.

I never knew any of that about .357SIG.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I've also learned that the .357 sig model should be available by sometime in December, so I'm just going to wait and keep hoping.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
27 Posts
For What It's Worth,

I own a Sig 229 SAS DAK in .40. To the best of my knowledge all have to do is swap out barrels and I got a .357, kind of two for one. Is S&W going to offer the same? I'd contact them to see if the barrels will be interchangeable.

On a nother note .357 is a high compression round, it "may" shorten the life of a weapon. I love my wheelies when I blast some .357 down range. My wife's Ruger GP100 is bedside with hot .357 rounds in it. My Dan Wesson Mod15 could shoot 'em all day do I ? Nah. .38 Special +P are fine for the range.

Glock and now S&W have the .357 in compacts form. Both are high quality manufactures, but I might wait and see how they hold up. I'm no expert guru guy it's just my .02

T-Out

PS I really dig my M&P .40c

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thek9 said:
For What It's Worth,

I own a Sig 229 SAS DAK in .40. To the best of my knowledge all have to do is swap out barrels and I got a .357, kind of two for one. Is S&W going to offer the same? I'd contact them to see if the barrels will be interchangeable.

On a nother note .357 is a high compression round, it "may" shorten the life of a weapon. I love my wheelies when I blast some .357 down range. My wife's Ruger GP100 is bedside with hot .357 rounds in it. My Dan Wesson Mod15 could shoot 'em all day do I ? Nah. .38 Special +P are fine for the range.

I just spoke with S&W again today. They were able to confirm that the magazines for the .40 will also be used for the .357 sig. I was also told that they will not be offering any type of conversion kit (like Sig does - as mentioned above). So, that part is solved.

Now the bigger part.
I was told that models have been shipped on a limited basis for purpose of review. Since I don't write for Guns & Ammo, I'm guessing that my order wasn't in that shipment.
My main hope is that I can get it before the rebate / double mag offer expires. S&W told me to hang in and wait, that they may be out prior to the end of the special.

I may see myself ultimately having to switch to a .40c and then just getting a .357 when they are more plentiful. About the round itself, I've heard it can cause more stress to the weapon, I just like the idea of being able to send a 9mm sized round oout of the barrel at 1500 fps.

So, the saga continues. Thanks again for all of the input.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
While S&W may not offer a specific "conversion kit," as long as you can buy a 357 barrel you'll be able to convert the gun.

Also, it's not necessarily true that 357 SIG is more abusive on a pistol than .40 S&W. Within the past year a major gun manufacturer did some pretty extensive testing and demonstrated that, for instance, a full-power 155gr .40 load actually created more recoil and subsequent wear than a standard 125gr 357 SIG load on otherwise identical guns.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Todd, do you know if there were any changes to the M&P357 over the M&P40 or are they the same with the exception of the barrels?

·
Registered
692 Posts
There is a post at another forum (Steyr) about their compact (s series) .40 with a full size .357 barrel installed. Has any one tried this with the M&Ps?

I would love to have a .357 for the range even though I wouldn't carry one for SD.

It seems to me that this would lend its self to porting the barrel for an integral compensator.

Sorry if this seems to be an ignorant question. My training as an armorer is out dated and pretty much limited to M1911s and M16A1s.

EDIT:

Got the answer to my question(thanks Dan). The stock full size .357 barrel will not work with the compact slide. The muzzle swell does not extend back far enough to lock the barrel in.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
m4arc said:
Todd, do you know if there were any changes to the M&P357 over the M&P40 or are they the same with the exception of the barrels?

m4arc -- I asked this question of someone at Smith ... the only difference would be the barrel. Rather than sending him new guns in 357 as sales samples, the factory simply sent him 357 SIG barrels. So that could be a good sign.

If you look at the parts list for both models (the 40 and the 357), the only differences in the part numbers are for the barrel (obviously) and the slide (which is marked differently depending on caliber).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm bummed. I went to my gun store yesterday and was going to buy the M&P 357c and they were out of stock. I had been in there last Saturday and they had one. The real bummer is they said they wont have any more before next year, so I can't get the rebate and mags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a post at another forum (Steyr) about their compact (s series) .40 with a full size .357 barrel installed. Has any one tried this with the M&Ps?

I would love to have a .357 for the range even though I wouldn't carry one for SD.

It seems to me that this would lend its self to porting the barrel for an integral compensator.

Sorry if this seems to be an ignorant question. My training as an armorer is out dated and pretty much limited to M1911s and M16A1s.

EDIT:

Got the answer to my question(thanks Dan). The stock full size .357 barrel will not work with the compact slide. The muzzle swell does not extend back far enough to lock the barrel in.

I would like the flexibility to swap between 40 and 357 as there's an ammo price difference but not as much as between 40 & 9. Practice w/40,'s switch to 357 barrel, shoot a few, clean then load HP's, stow until called for.

I have a previous generation full size Steyr (not the A1) M357-Sig and love it; it's the most natural pointing comfy gun I've ever run across and what some call quirky triple safeties, I call common sense flexibility, to each his/her own. Double taps are a cinch, it snaps less than my early production Glock 17 (9mm) that always felt like holding a sandstone. I wanted to be a Glock lover but the rail gap always had me wondering if it was truly a precision weapon or it nearly fell apart the same way every shot. They Steyr is tighter albiet even more butt ugly than a block, I mean Glock. I like the Steyr trigger finger up safety fire enable trick (a ramp that goes up into the housing) in the old version as anyone but a Steyr owner (read crook) might not know they have to do this before it can go bang. My pea brain damaged by AF radar for 25+ years perceives this as added protection should it fall in the wrong hands. I tried to find either the old or new Steyr in compact 357-Sig or S-40 (old) S40-A1 (new), hard to find, something about an import ban, no dice.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I can still get a 40 barrel for my full size Steyr M357 if I want to spend the high side of $200, more than half of what I paid for the gun. A barrel swap is all it takes to convert 40/357 on the old and new Steyr's M-series (not sure about switching barrels between the M and compact S-series though but SAI could confirm). Steyr mags are interchangeable between 40&357 (markings vary 40, 357), same with some aftermarkets I picked up. One would think the same would be true for M&P at some point?

I want something stealthier for CCW purposes. After considering the compact Walther P99 series and an XD, even Kahr, I went with the M&P partly because 357-Sig choices are limited and this standardizes my 'keepers', enables volume ammo buys, should give somewhat consistent feel & performance, never a bad thing IMHO. OK, call me one of those 357-Sig caliber bias folks that aren’t convinced yet that 9+P is the ultimate solution. 40 is OK (yawn) and 45 is just a little to hot for my tastes in a small gun. I pick up the 357c Saturday; Trit-night sights, 3-mags, 2 more from S&W or $30 rebate, (why is everyone saying $50, read the fine print on mine and it says 30, 50 on other models?) and it was in the very low $500's before rebate. The flexible style .3 inch trigger on this gun sounds like it beats the Glock excursion while awaiting fire. Anyway, I'm concerned about reported malfunctions, dropped mags, FTF's posted here and not described quite as often in other brand boards but then again the happy people don't come to chat near as often as the discontent. I hope to one of the happy M&P'ers, hey wait, I didn't mean to sound like taking a whiz.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi,

I just placed an order with a local dealer for an M&Pc in .357 sig. He told me he would call if his supplier couldn't get one.

My main questions are, 1.) Are they out yet and available, and 2.) if so, would you order the .40c magazines for the extra mag deal?

Sorry for the newbie quetions, but this will be my first S&W.

Thanks,

Kevin

Sig P226 9mm

SA XD-9 SubCompact

Speer 124 +P GDHP

Kevin, they are out and you do order the 40 cal mags for the rebate. I have had mine now for about 2 months. Have it qualified and taken my N.R.A. Instructor class with that pistol too. Hope you like your's as well as I do mine.

Hope it helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts