MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader, first time poster.

I bought a new M+P fullsize 40 a couple months ago for my carry gun, love the gun, zero problem. Probally have 500 rounds through it. Finally ordered some slide glide lite to try, love what it does for the gun, but everytime I cycle the gun the slide glide gets on the firing pin, i'm afraid the gun will not fire with all the lube on it. I keep cleaning the pin and cycling it, but it just keeps lubing it. Any tips to solve this?

Again love the web-site, the gun, and the lube...

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
While I haven't tried that particular product, your description tells me you are using way too much of it. There's only a few places to lube, and the amount of lube is very small, any lube moving around says "too much!". If you aren't sure exactly where to put lube, it's in your pistol's owner's manual.

And by the way....

·
Registered
521 Posts
I put little dabs on the 4 contact points of the frame carriage that touch the slide. Depending on how broken in your gun is, you'll see wear marks - put it there! i also put a very small amount on the sear after I did the trigger job before I put it back together although I haven't reapplied since then. Like G56 said, go easy on the stuff, one little tub has lasted me a long, long time.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I like Slide Glide Lite, and use it on all my bottomfeeders. I have no idea how you're getting it on the firing pin...unless you're following Brian Enos' advice for using it on 1911s, where he tells you to glom it on.

You just need a touch of it on the seven spots the instruction manual shows. More grease than that will clog the works.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It comes in pretty smallish containers, but remember, you generally use it very sparingly - you don't glob it on all over.

:idea: FYI - A dab of Slide Glide on the firing pin saftey does wonders for the gritty feel of a new MP (until they smooth out on thier own).

·
Registered
936 Posts
You probably mean the striker tab, maybe?

I slather SG all over the inside bottom of my slide, and put a dab on the trigger bar where it and the sear engage. and on the frame rail tabs.

The slide rails get a drop of a moly lube oil on each side. The striker channel I keep dry.

Ive never had and SG mosey up in the striker channel. I shoot a LOT, too.

I guess I disagree with most of the guys above;

I recommend using a good amount, mores better than less. Ive never heard where lube will "clog the works"-other than the striker channel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I used the directions and really put the sg lube to it, what was nice is what the gun didn't want, it just went out the front and back of the gun, wiped that off and was good to go. No oil running out the gun for 3 days. So I shouldn't be worried about the firing pin being lubed, thought that wouldn't allow the gun to fire?

If I didn't know any better I would swear Slide Glide lite is just grease and atf fluid mixed together.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
SMiller said:
If I didn't know any better I would swear Slide Glide lite is just grease and atf fluid mixed together.
Grease is color coded for viscosity.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, 2 parts Valvoline syn. red bearing grease and one part STP (blue can) = something that looks and acts alot like slide glide lite????????????

Just something that makes ya go HMMMMMM?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've been using Slide Glide Lite for some time now on all my pistols. If it slides, I grease it and if it moves, I oil (Weapon Shield) it. I lightly coat any area that looks like there is slide movement with Slide Glide. Good stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts