MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys with mag disconnect, does your mag slide out freely when mag release is pressed?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have two full size and one compact with mag disconnects and all three drop the mag freely when the mag release is engaged.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
Mine drops freely also.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Funny you should ask.

I have five mags with grey followers and three with black followers.

The mags with grey followers all drop freely every time.

The mags with black followers are usually good, but once in a while, especially if I press the mag catch weakly, the mag won't come out and I'll have to strip it.

Solution: three new grey followers from Smith on their way.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The mag-disconnect pivots at the bottom and gets pushed up behind the mag. There's really no way for it to catch on anything to hang it up. I have the black followers in my FS40, and I've never had a snag or fail to eject the mag (not the definitive word, I know). The poster above with the differences between the black and grey followers is likely only having an issue between the follower and frame, not the follower and disconnect.

Lock your slide open and insert a mag slowly, watching the disconnect. It will be pushed up by the mag and then fall in behind it, tip about level with the mag frame. Unless you sharpen it to a point or carve into the magazine, there's no way it could hang up.

Also, it's the follower that pushes the mag out, not the disconnect.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Black or gray drop out of my M&P9 and 40 without delay.

:twisted:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Mags drop like a rock from my M&P45, and I have the mag safety. At least I do until I get a hold of Dan. I'm ready to pack this puppy off and get a trigger job and Trijicon sights mounted, etc.

·
Registered
298 Posts
ToddG said:
Funny you should ask.

I have five mags with grey followers and three with black followers.

The mags with grey followers all drop freely every time.

The mags with black followers are usually good, but once in a while, especially if I press the mag catch weakly, the mag won't come out and I'll have to strip it.

Solution: three new grey followers from Smith on their way.

I suspect this is because the grey followers are higher in the mag tubes thus applying more force against the slide catch/slide.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No problem with my mags.

·
Registered
673 Posts
9mm FS gray followers, all 7 drop without an issue. 10 round mags with the 1" plastic bit at the base...

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Both my 40 and 40c have no issues with freely disconnecting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys.

I've recently purchosed Hi-Power varient, and Mag disconnect in this gun is total junk.

I'll now have to seek gunsmith to disable/remove this feature altogether.

Mag will stick to gun when mag release is pressed, and you'll manually hve to extract mag from gun. This is stupid

I was just wondering if mag disconnect on M&P are like this

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nope.

My M&Pis definitely NOT like your Hi-Power. If anything the mag disconnect seems to help push the magazine out a little.

Keep in mind that I am talking about the little lever next to the sear deactivation (aka take down) lever. The silver one next to the yellow one, that keeps the gun from firing without a magazine in the gun.

If you are that worried about the lever being problematic Smith and Wesson produces M&P's without this 'feature'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What precent of M&P are sold with mag disconnects?

My dealer told me that 70 percent of the M&Ps that he sells (and he sells a lot of them) are without the mag disconnect and key lock. It seems like most people in this forum got the mag disconnect?

B. Savage

NRA and N.C. Dept. of Justice CCH Instructor

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
The mag disconnect hasn't caused me any problems either way, but I would like to have it removed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts